The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
My Computer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Phinneas
Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: My Computer

Well, my computer might be fubar. I am having all kinds of strangeness happening to my computer.

About a week ago it had a bad spyware infection which i thought i eradicated and norton found a virus on my hard drive .... all removed ok and things were stable. Wednesday, I was having more probs.

1. I couldnt log onto some websites and still cant, though others are accessable. Seems like sites useing SSL might be the prob.

2. Norton Firewall and Norton Antivirus will not start up as active processes though i can open the program. They say that things are disabled. One problem was there was an error starting the email protection.

3. Some games I can not get online with, tough others I can.

4. User logon will sometimes freeze/hang.

5. I can not run windows update.

I think that something might be corrupted and/or I might have an infection. I think that I might need to rebuild the computer and hope it was just data probs, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts before I endeavor to not be online for 3-5 days.

Please let me know Smile

Thanks,

Phin

Hunter Mogz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject:

Usually spywares causes those problems, do you use Adware? If not, i would recommend it... its a program that scans and removes hidden spywares, tracking components, trojans etc.

More info about it here along with the download link: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Hope that helps

Phinneas
Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I have Adware and regularly run it, but I can't update it (last update was last week). Running it doesnt catch anything.

Gheran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:

I would also suggest you try the microsoft beta version of adaware. while many do not like MS they still agree that they know what their own files should look like, and therefore can detect any spyware that has attached itself much better. Even some spyware that hasn't been defined yet.

My Homepage with magelo links

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Xvin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject:

What virus was found, and now infected where you?

For bad spyware infections, I find a dual approach with Adaware and spybot, to be very effective, Miik has been doing some testing with the MS spyware tool, and once she sees this post wont be able to help herself, so ill let her give a low down on how it is.

If norton/and firewall will still not start, there is a possibility there is still a virus/spyware active. Atempting to reinstall norton, will scan,and give a warning if it does find something.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ may work for you and if not
66.35.253.32 was the ip address that it resolved to

How long have you put into the repair, vrs a rebuild?

Often now, its just as fast to pre-download sp2, burn to cd, then reinstall, reapply. heh....just grab those ini files from eq, the ones i seem to always forget lol

Kanwer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Ad-Aware has a new version called Ad-Aware SE Personal. If you have previous versions, you must uninstall it and download the new version. That is why you're not getting any updates Phinneas.

Kanwer Howlingwolf-Storm Warden-Retired

Sensei Boytoi-Retired

Mystyx Dreamz-51st Season Shadow Knight-Retired

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Phinneas
Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject:

I have AdAware SE Personal 1.05 but i am suspecting that there are no downloads for the same reason why i cant get to Windows Update or any website utilizing SSL.

Virus' that Norton Found:

Trojan.ByteVerify
and
Backdoor.Lifefournow

Both were automatically deleted.
In terms of malware i detected 12 different processes and tons of files and such all were removed and I rebooted and reran Adaware.

New problem today, is then i open IE i frequently get Runtime Error! c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.ext abnormal program termination error.

Not lookin good hehe. I already backed up my eq ini files and my documents and such onto my second hard drive .... now to get a copy of XP Pro .... hmmm Razz

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: