The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Possible cable modem issue

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Possible cable modem issue

Ever since yesterday evening, our Internet service is interrupted every five to 10 minutes for about 20 seconds. This isn't the end of the world for Internet browsing -- a little annoying at worst -- but it's obviously a serious issue for online gaming.

The cable service doesn't say there's anything going on on their end, but calling them gets you outsourced to India (where they inexplicably all pretend to be Hispanic -- how exactly am I supposed to be fooled by "Juan" with an accent so thick, I can almost smell Bombay?) and a bunch of highly insulting tech help.

Obviously, if we're in the same boat when I get home tonight, I'm gonna try and resolve this, but I was hoping someone would have some ideas as to what the problem could be before I call them up.

BonlainyT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject:

A few months ago I got the same issue, and Comcast did some remote diagnostics tests, it turned out I had 40% packet loss. So I went and bought a modem and installed it and it all worked fine, the modem Comcast had given me went bad.

soto01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject:

One thing you might try is bypassing your router (i am assuming you are using one) and plugging direct into one machine and see if it still happens. Thay may help narrow things down a tiny bit on where the problem might be.

Tibberon 65 Wizard of Walkers
View My Gimpness
Wrylyn 65 Shadowknight of Walkers
View My Gimpness
Stibbs 65 Rogue of Walkers
View My Gimpness
Soto 65 Shaman of Walkers
(Magelo Coming Soon)

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Gonna do the bypass thing when I get home this evening. I just was in a rush this morning, and had just hoped the outage in the neighboring area was at fault.

How much did the modem cost, Bon?

ZigonZagoff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I had same issue. I replaced my Cable modem and Linksys router. It works ok for the majority of the time but whenever I play both accounts at the same time I get kicked off line sometimes and lose the link to their first route.

I have traced the line and created charts for cox --- Lets just say they don't like technical people who have an idea of what their systems are doing.

the cable modem was $80 with a mail in rebate and the linksys was $60 --- I didn't buy the wireless one until later and had already used the mail in rebate form.
Caylik (Cleric)
Jonan Dabarbarian (Shaman)

<Walkers>
Vazaelle

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject:

No idea what type of modem and router you have, but when you say you're getting disconnected, is the status light on your modem showing it's dropped offline, or is it just that your service stops responding (with all modem lights showing the connection is good)?

If the cable modem actually goes offline (and you can verify this with the status lights), then it's probably NOT the router. You can try the bypass just to make sure, but if the modem is going completely offline, I'm willing to bet the results will be similar.

When you're in-game, and the connection is active, do you have obscure packet loss?

IIRC, you just moved into that apartment, and the cable modem is fairly new? I suspect the router isn't (if you used it at your old place). Either way, I'm willing to bet the problem isn't with your hardware.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

BonlainyT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject:

The modem I bought ended up being like $50 after a $20 rebate. I thought router first too and did the direct route but had the same results, that's when I called Comcast to see if there was a problem with the cable in our area, they said no and started the trouble shooting, and determined it was probably the modem.

BonlainyT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Looking at my Fry's ad insert now, Best Data modem for $59.99 with $10 mail-in rebate. The one I bought was a Zoom modem I believe.

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Great, thanks, guys. I suspect this will be taking up a fair amount of my time on Saturday. Ugh.

ZigonZagoff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject:

If its actually the cable modem its a quick fix - assuming you get a knowledgable person on the phone at the ISP company. All I had to do was tell them my mac address over the phone and then power up the modem and viola - I had a connection.

Good Luck Whiz.

ElSancho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Have who ever your cable privider is do line diags like Bon talked about, they will tell you if theres a problem with your connection at your cable box (or drop) if they get a weak signal, they should come out and make a new drop for you. More or less run you a new line from your box to whatever is closer the room or your cable hub. Mad

If your lucky they will tell you everything is ok and you will have bypassed having to spend the cash right now, although a nice Linksys cable modem would'nt hurt. Shocked

Only reason I threw my beans in the pot is because you will only have to make a phonecall first to eleminate (or confirm) your problems. Process of elimination is always the best route with PC problems (and the cheapest) Wink

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: