The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Network throughput

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Gryfndor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Network throughput

I downloaded the 2 gig file for WOW onto my laptop at a buddies house the other day, and when I got home I pushed it to my computer on my 100 meg network. I was semi pissed when I found I was only achieving 60 - 70% of my bandwidth. Both systems were 3 gig plus P4's well equipped. All I can figure is that my hub must be junk. Any of you looked in to this before ? Shouldn't I be seeing a 100% bandwidth usage ?
Farzy 51 rogue
Nasgul 29 Shadownight

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject:

so, how long did it take to transfer the 2 gig file?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ElSancho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject:

what are you useing for hardware? are you useing firewire?usb2.0? or just cat6 or 7 network with say a netgear hub?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tenri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Cat7 where do you live ElSancho i have install a ton of Cat6 but not Cat7 as of yet Confused

Ya Ya i know shut up skinny necro boy Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject:

This is because CAT7 cabling is in it's infancy. It is very expensive and there's almost no practical use for it yet. Razz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tenri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject:

The last thing I read about cat7 was it is a European standard and it is a shielded pair cable similar to a T1 cable wear each pair has its own shield and drain tap with a over all shield to boot
As a installation tech it sounds like a night mare but the again so was fiber when it 1st came out

how do you like the new fancy name installation tech = cable jockey Rolling Eyes LMAO

Ya Ya i know shut up skinny necro boy Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Gryfndor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject:

Took me 5 min to move the file accross the Network. I had my system with a 1 gig network capable card and my work laptop also 1 gig capable. They are both 3 gig plus P4's with lots of ram. I'm using a simple cheap ass hub not even sure the brand on it netgear is a real possibility. I had a decent router but its wireless capabilities became somewhat useless when I lost my broadband connection. I'm going to try connecting the two systems directly this weekend and look at the throughput. I don't have any networking using Firewire or USB.
Farzy 51 rogue
Nasgul 29 Shadownight

Daneloire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject:

My guess is that your NIC drivers have the default setting of 'Auto-detect' in the Link Speed and Duplex configuration. If you think your max speed should be closer to 100/full, try changing it to that on both NICs, and see if that raises the speed. Chances are good, though, that your hardware is the chokepoint, keeping the speed down a bit.

-Dane

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject:

From what I'm getting out of your posts so far, Gryf, you're using a 100mb hub? If so, 5 minutes is a good time. You're getting 100% of your possible bandwidth utilization.

Quote:
The last thing I read about cat7 was it is a European standard and it is a shielded pair cable

No idea if Europe has a standard for CAT7, but the IEEE does NOT have a standard for CAT7. If it's being used in the US at all (I'm sure it is in certain scenarios), the pair schemes and termination methods haven't even been finalized, so it'd be an experimental installation at best.

ElSancho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I can get pretty much any cable for pennys on the dollar, we use gigbit LAN with CAT6 and our file transfer between mine and Jerz PC is about double what my older NIC's and onboard ports transfered. few nights ago i installed wow from my shared drive to hers and was almost the same install time for a 2.2 gig file as it was just to stright install on my PC.

Does gigbit make NIC cards? I havent ever looked but I'm sure they do?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ZigonZagoff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject:

There are Gigabit network cards out there. We have them in our Alpha systems (3 per). Now if only the network would have upgraded when they were scheduled to upgrade.
Caylik (Cleric)
Jonan Dabarbarian (Shaman)

<Walkers>
Vazaelle

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Yea, you can get complete sets of gigabit hardware.

Gigabit can be achieved with CAT5e, but CAT6 is optimal.

CAT7 is supposedly intended to be an alternative to fiber, which is hugely big pipes over long distances (hence the shielding).

fasterfind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: hub vs switch

Changing your hub for a switch can sometimes make a drastic improvement in performance. Switches reduce network collisions to nearly zero. If you've tried all else with no improvement, analyze your network.

It's also possible, depending on your form of broadband (DSL vs Cable, etc.) that you are competing with people in your neighborhood for bandwidth.

I've seen cablemodems go from 3Mbps to 2Mbps throughput because someone's neighbor got the same service, making less working bandwidth available.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: