The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Runtime Error: Oh ah!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Soulfreer65

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Runtime Error: Oh ah!

No, I have not floated back to the abysss of RL. Well at least not intentionally. I had a glitch last Wednesday and now everytime I try to access the internet I get a Runtime error at ..... can't read ....... etc.

I have tried to uninstall/reinstall Norton many times to get it back up and going (it seems to only happen with Norton). I even bought a new version of Norton to see if the version (came with the new Dell machine 4 months ago) had something to do with it. I have not been able to get Norton Firewall up and running properly since. I keep getting " I do not have access to change.... I used MSI and have cleared the registry and still no luck. Dell seems to think it is a Norton problem. I have not been able to contact Norton as of yet ( Will have time to on Wednesday)

I have run Ad-aware 6.0 multiple times and continue to get a clear run now (I did have a few "mal-ware" on the system that ad-aware removed)

I added RAM 2 weeks ago and it worked fine for 1 week. Now with the new ram it hard crashes (reboot required). Where if it is just the original ram it soft crashes (just current program crashes). I have been told since Ram worked fine for the 1 week it is not that though.

The people I have talked to said it is a corrupted file and there is no way to get "rid" of it other than to re-format the Hard Drive. I have backed up the Data so I lose nothing but time in doing so. My concern is this will happen again so I am trying to figue out how it happened and how I can avoid format C: in the future (in case the data is not backed up).

I currently run XP but I am very unimpressed so far (I may go back to the stability of 2000/ME).

The primary reason of this is just to let my friends know I still exist. Secondary is to see if anybody has any ideas/suggestions as to what I can do to avoid this in the future.

Thank You All,
CYA soon (/em I hope)

Will

P.S. As you can see I am a little past my Knowledge Base. I can make it work but I would prefer a finishing hammer over the sledge hammer I plan on using if I have to. HeHe

Miuu Miuu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Runtime Error: Oh ah!

Soulfreer65 wrote:
I currently run XP but I am very unimpressed so far (I may go back to the stability of 2000/ME).

2000 is stable. Me is about as stable as a two legged chair with half a leg missing and the other one hanging off the table (and yes, I put chairs on tables!). I've sneezed and made a Me machine crash (not sure if that says something about Me stability or the power of my sneezes).

Lhats2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject:

BEHOLD: The power of SNEEZE.

Jenny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject:

I can see you.

"Enough about me, let's talk about my dress."

BlueMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject:

I agree with the stability of ME. Its about as stable as my sister. But we wont go into that, lol. Dont like the RAM restriction ME has though. I have more than 512 RAM. Just another downside of that commie bill gates. When XP first came out I hated it, went back to 2k. Somewhere along the way I went back to xp. Not having many problems with it. I got tired of getting patches for some things to work in 2k. Eh, call me lazy. Anyway, no sneezing around my computer.

If you can read this Thank a Teacher, If you can read this in English Thank a VET.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1048129

Roladoc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject:

I run XP pro and it has more stability but I still get crashes and lockups for no apparent reason. But in general EX Pro is better then straight XP.

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject:

XP Pro and 2000 are nearly exactly the same with the exception of a couple of functionality differences, and the goo-gah interface. It has the same stability of 2000 when it's not gimping (dragging feet because of crap you have installed).

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Norton Internet Security or 3rd-party firewall software. XP Pro has it's own internet firewall, and you should only be using that if you don't have a router between your PC and your cable/DSL modem.

If you're able to get the system to run good enough to get your data files copied off, I would burn all of your data to CDs and try System Restore, or proceed with the format. In a few cases where an installed software package might have caused the problem, Windows XP System Restore is a very good alternative to formatting.

If the crash happens at the exact same time you've tried to load a program, then it's probably software related. Hardware crashes happen whenever the bad block is hit on the RAM chip, which could be any time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

BwaelRanja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Firewall

Soul,

One thing you should check is that the XP internal firewall that Shiloch mentioned is disabled before installing a third party firewall. You might have disabled it previously, but some security updates from Microsoft turn it back on. Also if you use AOL, they also turn it on if you run the AOL security utility. Look in your network connections to see if the XP firewall is on.

Hope this helps.

Magelo Profile

Soulfreer65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Thank You for the suggestions.

I checked the XP firewall and it was disabled (as it should be)

I did a System restore (I did not even think of doing this for this problem, even though I have used it in the past for others).

So far so good. No runtime errors and np setting up the firewall etc.

I will be flipping on and off with an alt tonight to test setups. I do not want to do a main in case I freeze etc.

Hope to see you soon.

Thank You very much for the suggestions.

Will

Soulfreer65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject:

Friggin errors!!!!! (Posting from a second system, too slow for gaming or anything really)

About a week ago, I suddenly had a relapse of my tech problem. I crashed with an error. I restored (after 30 min of trying earlier dates one by one)and all seemed fine. I log in and last maybe 15 min. I only crash to desktop this time. Boy was I Lucky, I thought. So I go to log into EQ and I start downloading a new patch (late at night-hmm?). A very short time later, I briefly see a message in the EQ patcher box that the download is corrupt and to inform SoE techies. I say very short since I got booted again. No restores at all are available. I immediately crash as soon as XP starts to load. Safe mode is no better. I talk to Dell support, new system, and after they trouble shoot with me with no luck they suggest since I have all data backed up and can not get the system up to just format and start over. I agree as I was expecting that after the fun I have had over the last couple of weeks. In short, XP and a recent service pack download and Norton Internet Services 2004 seem to conflict, specifically Firewall settings (can't disable XP settings since I can't find them since (at that time XP firewall was not supposed to be active on my system)). After multiple attempts to re-load XP, it is concluded that I have a bad B/U copy of XP. ( the one they send with system incase you have to reload ). Boy, am I thrilled now! I am still waiting on XP disk to get here.

Few questions:
1- Has anyone ever had a corrupt EQ patch? causing a crash?
2- Has anyone gotten a "virus/spy/malware while running EQ? and
3- Any suggestions on Firewalls (XP service pack 2 will hopefully be available when I get up and running again-if it is not already-so I at least have a choice).

The reason I ask is I am trying to figure out what is going on. If it is just settings, then eventually I will get it worked out. I have had a techie friend over in past and he said no settings problems at that time and shortly thereafter I had a fatal error where I had to reload everything (ie format) and the only thing I was doing at the time was EQ and surfing. Recently, the problems seem to always occur during or just after an EQ session. As I mentioned, there are still too many variables to say "my system crashes because....". I recently updated RAM, I added new software (NiS 2004) and I have updated XP with "regular" updates on top of all the updates from EQ.

At this point, I am going to try and work it up slowly until I hit errors (they seem to be random; sometimes 5 min, sometimes days). First thing is to get an O/S up and running. I plan on trying XP once more (instead of the ME I have used successfully in the past but do not ask me why.) Then NiS unless xp service pack 2 really blows me away. Then finally EQ (if at all).

Next point, I was reading over OOW stuff and so far I am unimpressed. With the challenges I have had with EQ lately, Customer service issues, Uber dork so and so ruining a zone for me by not sharing/KS'ing, and difficulty in progressing my main 65 Nec to new adventures (Pre-OOW, Post-OOW will be more difficult-IMHO)

Keep in mind the only thing keeping me coming back is I usually have fun with Walkers which completely (or almost comletely) removes the progression problem. Fun to me is more important than all else. My system problems takes a lot of that away though.

Just wanted to say HI and to let people know I prolly will not be on in a grping capacity until I get this resolved. I do not believe this is fair to the people around me to set up groups and then have me crash where I will prolly be more than a cpl minutes to get back on. Sorry to Roladoc, Miuu and others (the last grp I was supposed to do a LDoN with when this happened).

As a complete off-topic, any early feedback on WoW. I have been looking at Forums and seems to be better small grp orientation than EQ with better Customer service. But as EQ is my first online game, I have limited knowledge of how they stack up. As an individual player my time varies a lot so raiding is not always possible, I can usually block only about 3 hours which removes a lot of PoP/GoD advancement and with the new expansion unless they will be able to accomadate people working on LDoN gear it will hinder me further as "active people" will be working on the new expansion the others zones will be less populated and finding a grp will be even harder. That last point is up in the air until new expansion comes out. Well actually this para may be moot if I can't get my computer to work cleanly. lol

Ouch, reading that over there are a lot of varied points/questions. Sorry!!
I hope to be back soon and be saying "Anybody want a 65 Nec for something?"

CYA soon if the compueter ghosts I have get excercised. hehe

Will

Soulfreer65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject:

As an update, after reading ealrier posts. I checked the "regular" xp firewall and it was disabled. My understanding is with the new service pack there is a seperate area to configure the firewall (this is the part that seems to conflict). This is what I could not find after the recent microsoft updates where downloaded (even though it is not supposed to be active yet)

Shesh, I feel like a bull in a china store sometimes.

W

Jenny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject:

I can see where you are coming from.

"Enough about me, let's talk about my dress."

Crymea
Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject:

Question, when you installed XP, did you uninstall Norton first?

If not, go to the Norton site. There is an executable that you can download that will completely remove Norton from your machine, and then you can reinstall it. I had the same problem when I installed XP on my old computer... apparently if you don't remove Norton before putting XP on, things get wonky.

Try this before the whole Format C: thing.

Soulfreer65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Alas, the drive was formatted already. However, I did do this on previous attempts and it did help. It was just weird having only 2 users (both Admin) and neither having access to change Firewall settings. I Love conflicts. Especially random ones. Shesh.

I received my "new" XP boot Disk from Dell and loading now.

Step 1 is in process-get an O/S up and running.
Step 2 - maybe tonight maybe not.

We will see.

Hope to CYA soon.

W

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject:

Don't forget to blow out your old partitions, then format. hehe

(AKA - Brent)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: