The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Tracking Your Unread Flags

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Tracking Your Unread Flags

Patiently awaiting the release of phpBB 2.2, there are a few things people have fixed with board MODs that I've refused to implement thus far. One of these things is a database-side unread flag tracker that keeps your unread flags current from one session to the next, and from one computer to the next.

Today, I installed this MOD. Now, all of your unread flags are kept in the server's database. There is only one problem:

The "Check New Posts Since Your Last Visit (x)" link on the Home page will display "0" after you've logged out and back in. It's still updated with the old timestamp method. However, clicking the link WILL display the threads you haven't read. Test it out, let me know what you think.

To save on database size, the flags will be automatically dumped after 300. If you have over 300 unread flags, it will trash the oldest one and add the newest one assuming anything older than 300 is read.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Geadiin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject:

I really love the "new since last visit" feature. Is there a way to mark all of the threads that it lists as "read" once I'm done with the list? Sometimes I don't want to read them all, but I want them to be marked as read anyway.

Kanwer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject:

I agree. Since I read the board on the fly a lot, I like looking and seeing the "new" icon and going to it to read the thread.

Kanwer Howlingwolf-Storm Warden-Retired

Sensei Boytoi-Retired

Mystyx Dreamz-51st Season Shadow Knight-Retired

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I really love the "new since last visit" feature. Is there a way to mark all of the threads that it lists as "read" once I'm done with the list? Sometimes I don't want to read them all, but I want them to be marked as read anyway.

Yep. There's a "Mark all forums read" link at the bottom of the forum list to the left (for the entire board), and a "Mark all topics read" on the top of the topic listing to the right for each forum. Clicking this link will still clear out the unread flags. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jorlana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject:

This is only a test! For Shiloch, nothing to see here!

For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. -Rudyard Kipling

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Jor!

Okay, so now the Index page isn't showing the correct unread icons. I am aware of this problem and I'm working on a fix.

(And all this time, I was thinking I'd never release an update that would cause things to break, but hey, it isn't my software!)

Crymea
Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Just remember those famous words... "That's not a bug, that's a feature!"

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject:

The Forum Index should now be displaying the correct unread icons. Let me know if anything else pops up!

Last edited by Shiloch Veneficus on Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

PavelCursebreaker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject:

I have to admit that I missed the new since last visit feature while it was gone. Thank you for the work, Shi.

Kanwer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Shiloch!

Kanwer Howlingwolf-Storm Warden-Retired

Sensei Boytoi-Retired

Mystyx Dreamz-51st Season Shadow Knight-Retired

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: