The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
GeForce 6800
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

tenri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: GeForce 6800

Hmm this is sounding good so far lots of good reviews so far i might start to drool soon
But i will wait till it has bin out for a month or so before looking into the price (OUCH!!!!!!!!!) Laughing

Ya Ya i know shut up skinny necro boy Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Someone posted in the other thread this is going to SRP at $399. Don't know if that will actually hold true or not, but that's not bad if it does.

ATI is also working on their piece of crap card to compete. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tenri

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject:

Never had much luck with ATI cards all the Gforce cards i have had all worked with out a hitch Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

fasterfind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: ATI

ATI has established a tradition of poor support for Everquest. The drivers just don't like the game's graphic engine. Or maybe the game's graphic engine doesn't like ATI - but same difference.

I blew a nice amount on a top of the line ATI that now collects dust. I'd gladly trade it for a "lesser" Geforce card. One of my systems is running EQ on a Nvidia (Pre-Geforce same company) card that has 16MB of RAM.

Daneloire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject:

Hmm, I seem to have inadvertently stumbled into an nVidia fanboy circlejerk. Sorry guys, I'll just head back to the land of REALITY. Razz

-Dane

tenri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Daneloire wrote:
Hmm, I seem to have inadvertently stumbled into an nVidia fanboy circlejerk. Sorry guys, I'll just head back to the land of REALITY. Razz

-Dane

better then jurking by your self LOL Shocked

brelenie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Daneloire
Lord

ATI fans are the debil theres proof! Twisted Evil

fasterfind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: circlewhat?

I was just about to climax in the enjoyment of Geforce and then you made me think of ATI and now I've simply lost my mood. -Killjoy!

RL Computer Tech
The geek shall inherit the earth.

ElSancho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Both have made some great cards, I presonally lean more towards nvidia. I feel for my hard earned money I dont wanna be the tester for their next-gen POS card, 6800 line of cards have been tested to hell and back. I have melted about every card out there except my 6800gt 256, I get about 140fps in WoW @1280x1024 (cant read anythign smaller then that) with max settings, same with farcry, but only about 90fps. 399$ and worth every cent!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

fasterfind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject:

140 fps.... @_@

Can the human eye even notice the difference above 30?

140... guess that's what the uber price tags are about.

I've used both ATI and Nvidia cards for a variety of games and it seems that as a general rule, Nvidia is more widely supported so they get my dollar from now on.

I do have to give props to ATI for their AllinWonder cards though - it is soooo sweet to have a TV tuner built in and then they way their tuner functions, you can use your desktop background (where your wallpaper usually resides) as your viewing screen.

RL Computer Tech

ElSancho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject:

lol if you cant tell the diffrence between 30 and 60fps let alone 30 and 100 then dont waste your $$$

framerate is god Laughing

if you want a TV on your PC I suggest to buy a TV tuner card for 40$ I use the ATI tuner VE. dont wanna tax my $$ for watching tv on my box, I save the video card for video games. Wink

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

warlax007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject:

OK ATI use to suck before the 9700pro came out. Their driver team was known for poor service. Things seem to change when the 9700 came out and I can say it has been the best vid card I ever owned. I had my ATI 9700 pro for 2 years now and I had 0 problems in EQ. Now I get about 30 to 40 FPS in WoW with all settings on and @1280x1024.

The thing about the eye only seeing 30 FPS is only with TV because TV blurs their frames slightly from one to the next. If you ever screen cap a TV frame you will notice the blur on the frame. In video games there is no blurring going on so you need more FPS. I would say 60 FPS would be the sweet spot to have a game running. When you see a number from a benchmark it is the average FPS so what that means is at times you will get higher then 60 FPS and at other times you will get lower FPS. The minimal FPS is what you really want to know because if the minimal FPS drops below 30 you would start to perceive "lag" or jerky screen.

I really want to get a 6800gt and the lowest I seen it for was 329 after rebate from outpost.com. I have seen a lot of posts from people saying that they never got some of their rebates from outpost.com and Plus the fact as soon the 6800gt get a low price from someone that website is flooded with people and it is out of stock. As soon as that card hits 300 I’m all over it. I think in the next month we will see that price.

Warlax

ElSancho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject:

couldnt have said it beter myself, but then I was too lazy too =p

Jerzie has her 9800pro 128 still and loves it, had it for over a year easy. I think honestly for the money right now a 5900xt is the best bang for your buck. If youhave the extra $$$ to spend you WILL know where that money went when you log into your favorite game. Im not saying that vid cards are the end-all to get massive FPS BUT! if your running a system that was build in the last year or so ESPICALLY if its say a Dell or one of those other guys I will garuntee that your PC is bottlenecked with a sup-par card. for preformance upgrades another stick of memory is the cheapest and MOST NOTICEABLE upgrade you can do.

http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html#xms (paired 3200 c2)

Heh, but when you get into one thing its hard not to do the rest. wish we had a few more geeks to maybe start a PC mod forum (cough elnrik)

tenri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject:

Well looks likw NVIDIA is dragging there feet again on there high end cards [ IE. 6800 ultra PCIE ] but ATI is moving right along this card review read real sweet RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition

Last edited by tenri on Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

fasterfind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Framerates

I've heart that TV and movies are supposed to have a framerate of 30 FPS because the eye can't tell the difference above that, but can if below.

I know that monitors usually have a refresh rate of 72 hz (72 screen redraws per second.) and I think monitors generally won't go above 80.

But maybe I'm behind the times and monitors have changed.

If your graphics card were doing 130, and your monitor were cranked up to 80, that would still be overkill because the monitor can't even draw screens that quickly.

So now I'm curious, has anyone achieved high refresh rates without frying their monitor? I've never pushed any of mine past 72 because I know that can make it overheat.

I've never heard of 'monitors built for extreme gamers' - so I'm imagining that either somebody missed a HUGE potential to sell hardware - OR - monitors just don't really enter the equation as a graphics performance bottleneck.

Or ? It could also have to do with not wanting to refresh that many times per second because the phosphors wouldn't respond any differently because they kinda have a speed of their own.

Can you imagine someone bragging that their monitor is set at 240 hz? - However, I imagine that 16 hours a day of monitor staring might feel a lot better at 240.

Right now, I just want to see the day that I can brag about having a 21 inch monitor. When I'm rich... when I'm rich.... I imagine one would definately be nice for those multiple instances of EQ.

RL Computer Tech

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: