The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Assignment: Murdakin

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Tales from the Road
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Assignment: Murdakin

Bard Trainee: Often Introuble
Professor: Bard Amberjack Bleh
Class: Creative Writing, 2nd hour

Assignment: Research and write a story with as much factual information as possible - legendary status
Subject: Murdakin Gnomore
1st draft copy

Our story begins several years ago with a gnome, but not with the warrior so many have come to know by name. Zildatik EldritchOne was a wizard of mediocre talent and little patience. His grades in school were nothing of note and this may have been in part what decided Zildatik to leave the wizarding school before completing his tenure to adventure. (That and a little mishap of running into a brick wall starring at the butt of some cute wizard who happened to be dating a not so friendly necromancer.) Now Zildatik may have been just so-so as a wizard, but he was a wizard with balls the size of which would make an ogre proud. (Note: Can I say that in a writing assignment? And if not, can I use later when I preform?) People told him that he was too young and not talented enough to complete the quest for the Staff of the Wheel. So he did it alone and completed it anyways. At that time, he was one of the youngest to be able to complete the task and finish his staff.

Zildatik did not always have successes. When he reached the middle years of his adventuring Zildatik met the man who would become his greatest enemy, Gaurd Fredrick stationed in North Karana. Since he never finished his schooling, Zildatik had to make money when he could, how he could. Thus like many wizards of that time he turned to porting adventurers. Now I am not sure what happened to make Ol' Guard Fredrick hate Zildatik so much, but hate him he did. (My guess is Guard Frederick was a buddy of the necromancer's. Or maybe later dated the wizard chick who had an ass too good not too look at.) No sooner would Zidatik port an adventurer into North Karana then Gaurd Frederick would come running. He would beat on Zildatik again and again giving him no chance to gate or make a run for it across the bridge to South Karana. Zildatik spent months gaining the rank of the 36th level, only to have Guard Frederick beat it out of him again. A mage friend by the name of Nuitari helped him to regain the 36th level at least a dozen times alone. (Nuitari is another story. How any mage could amass the fortunes he has gained is almost unbelievable. Until access was gained to Luclin and the bazaar was created I think he had a permanent residence set up in East Commons. *shiver* I hate that place. Er, can't say that in the story, can I?) Luckily for Zildatik he had made many friends. He even managed to get a druid to help him out. (Considering his lowsy alliance to druids there had to be some kind of hanky panky going on there.) Celleneth and Nuitari worked as a team a couple times to help out Zildatik. After several months of agonizing successes and failures (Zildatik tells his guild, Damn Guard Fredrick!) Zildatik achieved the rank of the 37th level.

There came a day when Zildatik got bored while roaming around with his bard friend AJ. Coming unpon the entrance to Kaladim, Zildatik had the idea that it would be fun to cast gravity flux and try to get to the top of the stone dwarf standing over the entrance. In two tries they managed to get as high as the statues head. "A little closer and I ber we can land on top of it's shoulders, " said Zildatik. With AJ standing by his side, AE song playing and Celleneth rounding a hill just in time to see, Zildatik cast his spell for a third time. The wizard and bard went flying up into the air... and so did the guards who were assigned the duty of watching the entrance that day. Now the guards did not take too kindly to being gravity fluxed into the air. You might say they were just a tad bit pissed off. Bard song will get you away faster then the guards can run, but you have to be able to start running before you hit the ground and the guards hit you. Celleneth arranged their bodies lovingly close together and left before they returned to claim their corpses.

It wasn't long after that when Zildatik made a small miscalculation. He was sitting in Blackburrow playing around when a young adventurer barely out of his training tunic came running toward Zildatik yelling for HEPL! Feeling a bit on the cocky side at that time, Zildatik decided he would impress the youngster with a big of area wizarding. Zildatik looked at all the mobs incoming and pronounced, "Watch this." Zildatik began to mumble deep under his breath in a language that completely baffled the youngster. The youngster stared in complete awe as Zildatik waved his arms to set of his spell. With a flash of light and the yipping of many gnolls, the ones closest to Zildatik and the youngster drop to the ground dead. As the gnolls continue to advance, Zildatik cast his spell again. Another flash of light, more yipping and several more gnolls fall dead adding to the pile. With only a couple gnolls left, Zildatik begins to cast his spell one last time. As the adreneline rush begins to fade a bit Zildatik notices that he isn't feeling to well. He gets about halfway through his spell when he decides that, "Damn, I hurt alot." Too late to stop the spell in progress he comes to the realization that he has made the novice mistake of targetting himself with his area spell. Zildatik succeeds in stopping the gnolls, saving the youngster and ultimately killing himself.

Now this was not the end of Zildatik. He managed to get back to his body and recover his things, but he was not the same afterwards. He seemed to have lost something in either the explosion or the ensuing recovery of his body. His mind became more warped then before. His intelligence has dropped and his daring increased. He became more and more irratic, trying things no sane wizard would attempt. One night he completely lost it. Zildatik stripped down to almost nothing, handing many of his things to Celleneth. She stood idly by and watched helplessly as Zildatik handed her every item except his journeyman boots. She raised an eyebrow at this and ask, "Boots?"

"If your gonna die, die with your boots on." he replied straight faced and then ran into the Plane of Fear naked. Zildatik clicked his journeymans boots to give him a slight chance and ran for the flames. He did not make it far before the denizens of the zone converged on him. Celleneth could hear him laughing as he went down...

You are wondering what all this has to do with a warrior... I am getting to that. Have patience as I continue to weave my tale for you.

Zildatik gave up for a time. His body decayed and he lost many items that were of a magical property he was unable to hand off. He went off for a time. There is no accounting of this lost time. No one knows where exactly he went, but eventually he did return. He found Celleneth late one evening as she was foraging in Faydark and asked for his clothing back. Zildatik was changed yet again. He no longer acted completely insane, but he was still very daring. He eventually recovered many of his lost items and went back to his old routine. By this time, Zildatik's power had increased and so he went back to North Karana to visit his old friend Guard Frederick. Zildatik spent several days camping at the wizard spires in North Karana, watching, waiting, and zapping Guard Frederick in the ass at every turn. (Can I say ass? That is the second time I used that word. rear end? backside? exit of vile waste? just not the same effect that ass has.) After seeking revenge on Guard Frederick, many, many, MANY times... Zildatik decided to try some experimenting.

Now if you recall, I told you that Zildatik was only an average student. And due to his blowing himself up (What a newb!) His intelligence was not at his peak, and his wisdom was even lower. Zildatik had heard of some things on the newly discovered continent of Velious. (Geez he is an old geezer!) Zildatik, with the help of a few friends managed to get into the Tower of Frozen Shadows. Within the library there he found a reference to a powerful spell. He tore the page from the book and immediately took off to gather components for the spell. It took him time, but Zildatik was obsesced with finding the components and completing the spell. He gathered items from all across Velious, and Kunark. Once he had gathered all the components together he quickly ported himself to Greater Faydark and ran for Akanon. Deep within Akanon, Zildatik found a vacant room in which he could work and locked himself in. For several days no one saw him. Gnomes who walked by the door of his room reported hearing mumbling and creative cursing along with infrequent crashes of glass and metal. On the fifth day it happened. There was a great explosion that shook the very walls of Akanon. Clockwork cleaners went crazy as pieces of rock and debris shifted and fell littering the floors.

It took work crews 3 hours to dig through to the door behind which lay Zildatik and another 16 hours to shift through the mess within the room to find his body. By the time he was found it was too late. His arms and left leg had been completely crushed and severed from the rest of his body. The explosion had burned one side of his face, completely insinerating one eyeball. Unbelievable as it seems he was still alive. He was breathing, if barely. One of the work crew members ran back to grab the first cleric they could find. Who the worker found was a novice cleric, barely past her twentieth year who was known as Simply. She went with the worker back to the room they had found Zildatik in. She checked his pulse and breathing. A tear slid down her face as she realized the torturous pain he must have felt. Simply knelt there in the dust and debris. She placed her hand gently on Zildatik's charred body and began to pray. As she prayed a blue glow was seen to pass from her into him. His skin flacked and peeled as new skin beneath came to the surface. The cuts upon his face and hand dissappeared. His skin went from a new pink color to a normal healthy color. His breathing grew stronger and his eye opened. But Simply could not mend what was not there. Zildatik was healed, but he was no longer a whole man.

Zildatik blinked at her with his one eye. Then he groaned. "We need to move him outta this mess and into temporary hospital." Simply announced. "You," she pointed at a stong looking gnome. "Pick him up and follow me. If I do not act quickly, he will not survive. Of course after this, he may wish not to." The man just nodded and picked up Zildatik without saying a word. The took him to the entrance of Akanon where a temporary hospital had been set up for victims of the explosion. Most the cots currently held the few clerics that Akanon boasted resting after healing so many wounds. The worker laid Zildatik on an empty cot and left.

Simply pulled up a small stool next to Zildatik's cot. "How you feeling?"

"Stunned."

"Well, that is normal from an explosion. The power from that blast knocked you back a ways."

"That was nothing. I meant I am stunned by your beauty."

"Ha! Not so stunned that you can't think up a good pick-up line." Simply blushed and tried to hide it by getting up and getting a cup of water. "Here, drink." She helped him to sit up, and after a few swallows eased him back down.

Simply watched as he started to fight off sleep. "I put something into the drink to help you sleep. You need your rest. When you awaken we can talk some more."

Zildatik's eyes widened, "Your name? What is it?"

"Simply"

"Odd name"

"I am an odd woman. Now rest. Sleep. No dreams, just rest."

A clockwork gnome came into the room, looked around and headed in Simply's direction. "You've been summoned. The King would like a word with you."

There was a brief look of something that crossed Simply's face before Zildatik's eyes closed. "I will be there immediately." Zildatik could hear someone leave.

"Blasted timing." Simply said frustrated. In a much quieter voice, "Nuit? You here? Nuitari?"

"Yes"

Simply jumped. "By Bristlebane! This is not the time to be joking around and scarying me. I'm glad you are here though. Take him to my place outside the city. No one is to know he still lives. Have your air pet to move him carefully and stay with him. He cannot be left alone. As far as all else are concerned, Zildatik Eldritchone died and his body was not able to be restored." That was the last Zildatik heard before the drugs overtook him and he slept a dreamless sleep.

Simply cast one last look at her patient and then hurried to stand before King Akanon. She entered the room in which the King was to recieve her and bend down on one knee before him. "You wished to see me, my king?"

A sound of gears turning fills the air as the King turns to face Simply. "I have reports that the explosion was created by the wizard known as Zildatik. You were the healer summoned when they uncovered his body. Does he yet live? Can you ressurect him?"

Simply continued to stare at the floor, head bowed. "He did not make it my lord. He was beyond even the help of resurrection. Both arms and a leg were severed. He would have never been whole again even if I had been able to save him."

"I know this is a difficult time for you. You did what you could. Zildatik was no great loss. He is hated by the elves, the druids, and bards. He has been banned from more cities then I can name. Even the dwarves barely tolerate him after the incident with the guards. Do not mourn his loss, for he was barely known to you." Gears turned and whirred as King Akanon stepped toward Simply. "Now stand and tell me, have you any word?"

Slowly Simply stood before her king,a lone tear sliding down her check. "None, my lord" she responded in a barely audible tone.

"Then return home and rest. Take heart, the Lords of Akanon will find her."

"Aye my lord..." She bowed once, took a step back, then turned and left.

Simply exited Akanon into the somewhat fresher air of Steamfont. She sighed deeply and started towards her home. She had a small place, even by gnomish standards, where she stayed when not working within Akanon itself or away on business. As she walked along, Simply left the safety of the well worn paths and took a shortcut heading towards the windmills. She noticed a skeleton approaching her and prepared to throw a quick spell at it, barely slowing her pace when the skel spoke to her.

"The master wants you."

"Now is NOT a good time."

"The master wants you." the skeleton repeated and took a step towards Simply.

"Ok, ok... I'm coming." Simply looked around to be sure that no on had seen her talking with the skeleton. She changed directions away from the windmills and the possibility of being seen. She skirted the outer edges of Steamfont until she came to a cave. A minotaur approached her raising it's axe menacingly.

Simply stopped. The skeleton caught up to her and looked blankly at the mino. "The master wants her." it rasped.

The mino glared darkly at Simply, grunted and lowered it's axe. "I really don't have time for this shit, " Simply muttered under her breath.

The skeleton took Simply through several twist and turns toward the back of the cave. At the back of the cave the skeleton haulted inside a small alcove. Inside the entrance taking up almost half the cave themselves, stood two minotaurs guards. The big hairy beasts glared, but did not advance to attack the newcomers. Simply's eyes slid over the guards and went straight to the gnome at the back of the alcove.

"Pet gaurd!" ordered the gnome.

"Guarding with my life, Master." stated the skeleton as it came to attention.

"Nice of you to accept my invitation Simply."

"I don't have time for small talk Meldrath. I told you from the beginning that this had to happen fast if at all. I have to act quickly if I am to succeed."

"There is NO ROOM for failure. You WILL succeed. You know the stakes. I will not hesitate to sacrafice another to gain what I want. I can find another more willing to do my bidding and you my dear will just "simply" cease to exist." A cruel smile that never reached his eyes curled his lips at his own pun.

Simply raised her voice slightly, "I don't care what happens to me. You said that people would not be hurt. I don't want any more to suffer. I can't stand by and watch it."

"You forget yourself. Remember why you do my bidding. Lives are in your hand Simply. If they die, it will be your fault."

Simply's shoulders sagged and her voice lost any form of defiance. "Can I see her? Please?" she pleaded.

"No! As you said, you are on a time limit. The King is being fed false information from some defective clockworks. No one will be around to say that Zildatik ElderitchOne did not perish in the explosion. If anyone else should find out about my plans, I will have to arrange another "accident." Meldrath smiled as a small gasp issued from Simply. "Do not become remorseful now. You knew from the beginning that this could not happen without casualties. They are not unexpected or even worth the thought. Do not forget what you have at stake. You said you would do anything... anything."

"Yes Meldrath" Simply lowered her head sadly starring at the dirt floor.

"Go now, and no excuses for failure! You know what happens if you fail."

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject:

Simply took a deep breath and entered her place. Laying still unconsious on her table was Zildatik, or what was left of him. Nuitari stood in the corner, his fire pet standing guard.

"Ugh, turn it off Nuit. Your gonna burn my place down."

"Pet, go away." said Nuitari and the fire elemental disappeared. "Damn, that was a strong one too. Are you ok, Simp?"

"No, I am not ok. I have a half a man on my table that everyone thinks is dead. Nuit, this was no accident. I can't go into detail, but it is not safe here. After I am done operating on him, we will disappear for a time. When we return, he will be a different man, in more ways then one. I have a safe place that I can take him and start his training. No one, and I mean NO ONE is to know. I need you to disappear for a while too. The less chance of something slipping. Tell Zarn and the other Lords that I have gone searching for her again. Then take yourself off somewhere. I hear there is some decent money to be made in the land of Velious. Go get lost there for a while. Bring me back something pretty."

"I can't leave you like this. Zild is my friend."

"You HAVE to. Nuit... lives depend on it more then just this gnome's. Please."

They stared at eachother a long moment. Then Nuitari nodded as if coming to a decision. "I don't like it, but I will go.... for now. Someone has to fund this operation. Before I go though." Nuitari began to move his hands and muttered some words beneath his breath that vanished from Simply's mind before she even heard them. A soft glow surrounded Nuitari's hands and a bag appeared. "Inside the bag are bunches of bandages, with him you are gonna need them. Also a mod rod for emergencies and a couple levitation rings for transporting his body. I left some SoW poitions and cash in your hiding spot. Be careful Simply. Don't worry about the Lords of Akanon, I will tell them something."

"Thanks Nuit. you are a good friend." She hugged him quickly. "Now invis up and get outta here. I got work to do."

Simply no sooner let go of Nuitari and he was gone from site. "Stay safe little one." came his voice from the door. The door opened and closed as if of it's own accord.

"You too, Nuit. You too." She said softly to no one. Simply sighed once and then jerked as if on puppet strings. "Lord, I don't have time for this." she said aloud as she went to work gathering items that she would need. From across the way she dragged a small side table over the two feet to her main work table. Then she went to a cabinet against the wall and from within pulled out a set of clockwork arms, a left leg and part of what looked like the head of a clockwork gnome. As she moved about the room grabbing tools and various items on the small table to easy access she muttered to herself, half praying.

"Oh Lord, this has got to work. I can't believe I am going to attempt this. Bristlebane please guide my hands. This is so stupid. Ugh, what a crazy plan. How did I get myself into this. Please Lord, please watch over me. Damn, I wish I paid more attention to Father and his constant tinkering. But oh no... I was gonna be a smith. Yeah right, screwed up there too, didn't you girl. Oh God, oh God, oh God, oh God, this has to work." Simply swallowed, "There is no excuse for failure."

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject:

Everything that Simply thought she might possibly need was finally in place. The left clockwork leg was on the table near where Zildatik's leg should have been. The clockwork arms rested one on either side of him. The clockwork head, dismantled at the table near his head. She took another deep breath and slowly exhaled. Twice more she did this, slowing the frantic beating of her heart, steadying her hands, clearing her mind. Then with a slow rythm she began to pray...

"Bristlebane, please hear my plea. Help guide my hand to heal this man and make him whole once more. Let him once more roam this land leaving behind laughter and gasps of suprise at his crazy attempts. Let his wit and humor once more make people speachless.
Bristlebane, please hear my plea. Help guide my hand in this endeavor. Let this man have the ability to walk, to walk the land spreading your laughter. Let this man move, move with the speed of suprise. Let this man see, see into the distance a chance at life.
Bristlebane, please hear my plea. Help guide my hand to join this gnome with gnome's creation. Let this clockwork leg replace his own. Let these clockwork arms be his. Let this clockwork eye allow him to see.
Bristlebane, I beg of thee..."

As Simply finished the last lines of her prayer, she also finished wrapping the last of the bandages around his head. The bandage hid the once empty socket. Bandages hide most his upper body. From under those bandages emerged the 2 clockwork arms, now attached to Zildatik's shoulders. Farther down his body more bandages hid the joining of his new clockwork leg.

"Now good sir," Simply spoke to the unconsious gnome, "you and I have a date in a very secluded location. Not the ideal romantic get away, but it will suit my training purposes much better. Besides, we will not be alone, kinda. Ah well." Simply glanced out the window. "Took longer then I thought. But then there were a few interruptions and distractions before I could get started. No use dwelling on it. Off we go while it's still dark and your still unconsious..

Simply grabbed a board from behind the cabinet that she had taken the clockwork parts from earlier. "Well that was smooth, I should have gotten you on the board before I got rid of Nuitari. No worries hon, I can manage. You just lay still. Not much of a conversationalist when your unconsious, are you? Again, no worries, I am probably babbling on enough for the both of us. Helps pass the time. Ah ha!" Simply located the levitation ring that Nuitari had left her and sliped it on her finger. "This should do the trick nicely." She pointed the ring at Zildatik and rubbed the ring invoking it's power. Zildatik's body raised slightly from the table. "Perfect." Simply grabbed the board and placed it under Zildatik. She used extra bandage to tie Zildatik to the board. And then added a pack and tied it down as well. She grabbed the pack that Nuitari had left with her and slipped it onto her back. She then glanced around to check if she missed anything. Things were a bit scattered and not in their usual places from the operation she had just done, but there was not time left for cleaning. "Well hon, guess that is all we will need on this little trip. Time to get going."

Simply opened the door and looked around. She could see nothing. "Gods, I wished that I could cast invisibility right now. Not much good worrying about what I cannot do," she whispered to no one. She grabbed with board with the floating gnome and pushed him out the door. She stopped briefly to close and lock her door. With one last look around to be sure no one was watching, she began to move off away from Steamfont.

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject:

Skirting the edges of Lesser Faydark, Simply pushed Zildatik before her. When she came to a tree next to a small mound, she stopped the floating gnome board from moving further. Simply walked over to the tree and started to inspect it. After a moment of searching, she found a small crack in the trunk of the tree that was just barely large enough for gnome's fingers to slide into. She reached a couple fingers into the trunk of the tree and concentrated. It only took a second and then there was the sound of a small click within the tree. At the mound a small hatch door sprang up a couple inches. Simply walked over and opened the hatch completely. Within were a set of steps leading down. She grabbed the board attached to Zildatik and angled it down through the hatch. She had to tilt the board just a little, but she managed to get it, Zildatik and all, through the opening. Once inside, Simply turned and closed the hatch, resetting the secret catch in the tree outside.

Down a rough slope, Simply descended. The path was dimly lit. At the end of the descent a bright light glowed through and entryway. About 20 feet below ground she came to a large room with many tinkered parts scattered about along the walls and on small tables. Many of the pieces resembled children's toys. Simply looked about the room with a small frown acorss her face. Her eyes took in the buildup of dust from long neglect, and the rust beginning to form on some of the toys.

Simply took two steps into the room before a mischevieous smile split her lips. " 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Last one home gets no revive! 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 The game is up, let's start again! 1, 2, 3, Not..."

"Not it!" a voice came from a hallway leading off to the west.

Simply grinned even bigger and turned towards the voice. "I never could beat you at that. I have missed you Niner."

A clockwork stepped out of the shadows of the hall and into the large room. " I am called Clockwork IX. Welcome home Miss Simply. Do you wish to play a game?"

"No Nine, I no longer have time for those games unfortunately. I need your help. I need you to start level 2 training for, um... oh my, what are we going to call him? Oh blast it all. This seemed like such an easy thing when I came up with this plan." A low moan issued from the gnome still floating attached to the board. Simply looked over at the bound gnome as the board begane to wabble. "OH NO! The levitate spell."

The levitate spell that had kept gnome and board floating all this time had worn off. Zildatik dropped three feet to the floor with a load crash. Zildatik moaned more loadly this time and attempted to move. "What in the name of Ice Comet?"

Simply hurried over to Zildatik and knelt down next to him. "Don't try to move yet. You're still tied to the board. Do you remember what happened? You know who I am?"

Zildatik opened his eyes to star at Simply with a blank expression. "How much did I drink last night?"

"Hmph! Nothing. There was an explosion. You will remember as the medication wears off. In the meantime, let me untie you from the board and help you sit up."

As Simply untied Zildatik, his eye slowly began to focus. "Yes, the explosion. I was working on a new spell. Something was wrong with one of the ingrediants..."

"It will come back to you. Let me get you untied from that thing and help you to sit up. I am willing to bet that you are starving, or soon will be." Zildatik watched as Simply went about the task of unbinding him to the board. When she had completed that task, Simply came back to the head of the board and helped Zildatik into a sitting position.

A breif look of worry passed over Zildatik's face. "I can't seem to be able to move my arms. So many bandages. Is this really necessary? Can't you just cast some spell and "Presto!" I am good again?"

Simply sighed. "Sit. Eat. And I will try to explain. It is a long story, so you might as well get some nuirishment while I go about the telling. You are going to need your strength." Simply rummaged around in one of the packs and pulled out a couple iron rations. She broke off a piece of one and fed it to Zildatik who made a face. "Oh, don't give me that look. It isn't my cooking, but at the moment, it is all we have and you HAVE to eat. You might as well do it, cause it is the only way you are going to get any information out of me." Zildatik glared at her, but continued to chew and swallow the bit of ration. "That's a good boy."

"Don't push it. Tell me what is going on please. What happened and where are we?"

Simply sighed again. "Ok, here is how the story goes..."

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject:

(Note to self, If this is the professor's idea of a writing assignment, I don't want to see the final exam!)

Simply told Zildatik of the explosion and the delay in finding his body just barely alive. She further explained the damage done to his body. "I knew that the explosion was no little accident and could not afford to have someone know that you yet lived. So I told people that it was too late and had my friend Nuitari..."

"Nuit!"

"You know him?"

"Yes. Don't try to best him in a trade. He is a very crafty mage."

"Aye. That's Nuit all right. Anyways, he helped me move you unobserved to my place outside of Akanon. There I could work on you undisturbed. I attempted something that has never been done before to my knowledge, although the idea has floated around the healing and tinkering organizations for years. I used my knowledge of healing and limited knowledge of tinkering, combined with alot of prayer and got lucky. At least I think I got lucky. I am pretty sure it worked."

"What?"

"Oh, sorry. I fused tinkered clockwork parts to your body to replace those detroyed in the explosion."

"You WHAT?"

"I won't go into details about the process. I hope to never see the process repeated. Your arms and leg were completely destroyed. There was nothing left. My studies have not been completed yet. I could not restore you to what you had once been. But there was a chance, a small chance and I had to take it. I was once shown a short passage from someone's diary. The person wrote about combining a man with a clockwork. Not just inserting the mind, as in the case of King Akanon, but actually combining the two bodies into one. It would take the combined work of a Master tinker, a healer, and other casters to even think of attempting. My father was one of the best mechanics in Akanon at one time, and a Master tinker. He made some parts special for my purposes that have been stored for almost a year. I paid well to have the parts descretely cast upon. They have been imbued with a resistivity to magic among other things.I could not just remove someone's perfectly good body parts to test if this would work. So the pieces sat until the explosion. You are going to have to relearn how to move and walk, and we don't have much time. If you are finished eating, let's begin."

And so began the training. It was not easy. Zildatik struggled many times while learning how to manuever his new arms and leg. The simple task of bending arms and legs took an hours time alone. Learning to walk with his new leg took them late into the night.

Zildatik sat down on a chair, stood back up and walked around the room avoiding some obstacles, walking around others, crouching to move under a bar laying across the backs of a couple chairs and then walking back to his original chair to sit once again.

"Ok, enough for tonight. I think we could both use a break and some sleep. You are a fast learner. You are progressing alot better then I feared. Tomorrow we will begin the next phase in your training." Simply stated. "Niner, would you return the obstacles to their original position and set up the room for sparring practice in the morning. Set up the old practice dummy, too please."

As the sound of gears moving fills the air, the clockwork moves forward to perform the tasks set to him. "I am called clockwork IX, Miss Simply."

Grinning, Simply motions for Zildatik to follow her down a corridor into a small chamber filled with a bed and a night stand. "You can sleep here for tonight. Tomorrow we will do some sparring to help you learn more intracate movements with your arms and leg. You have probably already noticed an increase in speed of movement. Unfortunately that also creates a lack of some control. We will work on gaining that control."

Zildatik looked at Simply with a straight face. "I will not be able to work magic again, will I," he stated more then asked. "I will not be able to move my arms in the smooth, precise motions required to cast a spell. And I can no longer detect the flow of mana within myself."

"You will have to start completely over. A new life, a new job, a new name. You have been reported as dead. Zildatik no longer exists. Zildatik is no more. I picked a name at random and had paperwork done. You can register a last name whenever you wish. I would not suggest using Eldritchone again though."

"And what is my name?"

"Murdakin."

"Murdakin." Zildatik was thoughtful for a moment. "It will do as well as any other. I have been called much worse."

Simply laughed, "I can welll imagine that you have, Murdakin. I heard about you sending the guards in outside of Kaladim on an unscheduled flight through the air."

"Now that was an accident."

"Uh-huh, suuuuuuuure." The smile faded from Simply's face. "Get some sleep. We will start early again tomorrow. Sweet dreams.... Murdakin."

"Of you."

Simply blushed slightly and quickly left the room.

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Slash, parry, backstep, riposte, attack, slash, block... The training progressed over the next couple of days as did the banter. And the relationship between these two? Well, lets just say it continued to progress too.

"Nice one, much better." Simply called out as she blocked another of Murdakin's attacks. "Remember that one of your greatest advantages right now is that extra speed. Use it and press your attack. But don't get too obsorbed or you are gonna get blinsided. Like NOW!"

Clockwork IX took a wooden rod and hit the back of Murdakin's knee knocking him off balance and sending him to the floor. Murdakin's suprise quickly turned to one of disbelief as he looked to find Simply's club an inch from his face.

"And my would be protector is down. How is a helpless female to survive without her protector?"

"YOU, my dear lady, are nowhere near defenseless." Murdakin grumbled from the floor. Simply removed her club allowing Murdakin to get to his feet once more. "That was a dirty trick."

"Yes, it was. It is also one that I have seen before and almost cost me and the rest of my group our lives. You must be aware of your surroundings as well as your opponet. They may not always be alone."

"How did a cleric learn so much about fighting?"

"Oh, I dabbled a bit in a few different professions before deciding that my calling was that of a cleric of Bristlebane. That and they would not allow me to hold a sharp object any more." Simply frowned for half a second showing that subject to be still a little tender. "Once more and I think we are finished. Niner, you may stand down. Please go recharge." As clockwork IX left the room, Simply and Murdakin faced off once more. Few words were exchanged as once more the blows of blunt weapons were given and recieved.

"You hit like a girl." Murdakin grinned.

"Why, thank you." Simply smiled sweetly. "You hit like my grandma."

Murdakin laughed as he lunged for another attack. Simply took two quicksteps back and said a quick prayer. "That tickled." Murdakin said as he continued to advance on her.

"Damn resists." Simply muttered half under her breath as she continued to circle backwards around the room defending herself. "You learn quick."

"Quicker then you know," came Murdakin's reply. As Simply stopped to say another prayer, Murdakin rushed in wrapping his arms around her waist and knocking them both down to the ground.

"Ooff!" All the breath expelled from Simply's lungs. "Oh my god, you have put on weight."

"Oh, sorry." Murdakin said as he raised his weight off of Simply. Suddenly Murdakin could no longer see. He quickly returned his weight to Simply and pinned her arms. "Now that was not nice."

"At least I could finally land some kind of spell on you."

"Well, I was alwasy easily blinded by a pretty set of eyes." As Murdakin's vision cleared, he looked down into Simply's eyes and then lowered his head to touch his lips to hers in a brief kiss.

Simply brought her hand to rest on Murdakin's cheek as he released his hold on her. "Not now. Not yet." A sadness entered Simply's eyes. "I need your help. There is something that I have to take care of before we can go any further with this. But I do want to go further."

"Name it. You have done so much for me. Name it and I will help you."

Simply and Murdakin sat up and then Murdakin helped Simply get to her feet. Smiling she said, "First, we are going to need more then just us to do this. Let's pack our things and head to my guild hall and see who is there."

"You are in a guild?"

"Aye, The Lords of Akanon. It is a small guild, but full of good people. And we are gonna need them if this is going to work."

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject:

"SIMPLY!" came a shout as a small blond gnome rushed the cleric almost knocking her over. "Thank the gods you are ok. The message didn't go into detail and no one here knew where you were or what had happened."

"Whoa, wait a moment." Simply said after returning the hug from her friend. "What message?"

"Nuitari contacted me before he left on other business. He told me that I should gather as much of the guild as I could together cause you were gonna need our help. Now before you start drooling all over at the site of me before you, please tell us what is going on," answered a male gnome standing at the head of a long table in the central meeting hall.

"In your dreams, Zarn." came Simply's reply. "Might as well have everyone sit back down. This is gonna take a few moments to explain, I'm afraid. And I have already used more time then I got. Murd, please take a seat too." As Murdakin and everyone else in the room took seats at the table, Simply paced back and forth a couple steps. Finally she stopped at the opposite end of the table then Zarn and took a deep breath. "To start, introductions. The gnome with me is named Murdakin. If after all this is through and he wishes, I plan to bring him into the guild."

"Woot, more gnomes!" chimed in the blond gnome with the enthusiastic hug.

A half smile briefly crossed Simply's lips. "The happy gnome there would be Siskiny. Don't let her fool ya. Inside that blond head is a very sneaky mind. The gnome beside her is her brother, Rokan, one mage by profession."

"Nice to meet you." said Rokan.

" Next to them are their friends, and our joking servants, Tothel, Aulan and Anstel. We agreed to allow the non-gnomes join as long as they told everyone they were our servants. It has been rather amusing at times. Being a bard, Aulan can be rather convincing at times."

Two "Hello's" and a "Hi" followed that introduction.

"On the other side of the table you will notice the dwarf, Hunts, his friend Montag. We are all still trying to figure out that alliance. Upon request, Hunts dances rather devinely."

Montag nodded his head in greeting as Hunts said, "They like it when I shake it."

"And Conjo, another mage. If you did not guess from the pet. Please put it outside."

"Yes Mam. Nice to meet you Murd." Conjo said before getting up and letting his pet out.

"Then at the head of the table would be our leader. The gnome with an ego that barely is contained within these walls, Zarn.

"Heya. Thanks for coming."

"Lords of Akanon, Murdakin. Murdakin, Lords of Akanon." Simply took another deep breath. "Now to get get down to business. Everyone, I am sorry. I lied. I know where she is, and I have known since the day after she dissappeared."

"What?!?!" said Zarn.

"No way." gasp Siskiny.

"You knew?" asked Tothel.

"Why did you send us off looking for her then?" wondered Conjo.

"I don't believe this." stated Aulan.

"Wait, who is she?" asked Murdakin confused.

Simply sighed and turned to Murdakin. "She is my daughter."

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject:

"Gavriel is only 4 years old and she was taken from me." Turning back to the rest of the table, Simply continued, "She was taken from me to use as leverage. I was to perform some tasks or forfeit her life. I sent you all out looking for her, cause I would not be able to hide what was happening otherwise. I knew if you all found out, you would want to rush in to try and save her. I could not risk that. I could not risk her." A tear slid down Simply's face unnoticed by her. "If we tried to get her back too soon, he would have killed her. Now, I hope to distract him. There is a small chance we can get her back. I can't do it alone though. I need your help. Can you forgive me and help me? Please!"

"Family first," Rokan said touching Siskiny's shoulder. "You can count on us."

"Nothing to forgive. I'm in" spoke Anstel.

"Can't stop me from helping," Added Aulan.

"Just say when, and I will be there," replied Conjo.

Heads around the table nodded in agreement to what the others had said. "And of course you will want to have me there with my magnificient body to mezmerise them." Zarn stated grinning.

"Ugh, has no one deflated his ego lately? He is not gonna make it outta the hall." Simply moaned.

"Zarn, you have not had a date in over six months and you got a spot of gravy on your dress from lunch," came a new voice from the corner.

"The ladies are just over come with my greatness and too shy to approach me. And that is not gravy, it is a new design I had placed on my R-o-b-e," responded Zarn. "Stop hiding in the corner and get over here, damn elf."

A sleek woodelf in druid attire appeared out of the shadows in the corner of the hall. "Sorry, I am late. I had a disagreement with Grimfeather over in North Karana. He sends his regards Tothel. Perhaps we can go visit him when this is all done."

"Sit your cute butt down. You can make Tothel drool later," Simply butted in. "Murd, this is Mossiah. Mossy, meet Murdakin. He is going to be aiding us in the rescue." She paused a moment as her breath caught on the word. "I have had some time to think about this and plan. I have thought of little else lately. We are going to need to split into 2 groups. One group to go in and get my daughter out while the other group goes in to stop Meldrath."

"Damn necros! They give me the creeps." said Siskiny with a visable shiver.

Zarn arched one eyebrow and leered at Siskiny, "I will protect you."

"I think she can protect herself," Interjected Simply. "Besides, she will be going to get my daughter and you will be in the group with me, stopping Meldrath."

"Your not going after your daughter," Siskiny gasped.

"Please, don't make this harder on me. I can't. I got to be the distraction for Meldrath to give you all time to save her." Simply's eyes were wet with tears and there was pain in her face as she fought to keep control. A deep breath and she continued, "Hunts, I want you to lead the group to rescue my daughter. Siskiny can sneak in ahead to her and keep her safe while the rest of you get there. Rokan will want to be with his sister. His pet will give you another tank. Take Tothel to help with tracking, Aulan to help soothe my daughter if she becomes frightened, and Montag. He can get you out quickly with a port spell if things get ugly."

"You bet, Simp. Should be no problem with that group," stated Hunts.

With a small sigh of relief, Simply continued, "That leaves me, Murdakin, Zarn, Anstel, Conjo and Mossiah to take out Meldrath. Murdakin and I should be able to walk in unmolested by the guards. The rest of you should be able to invis and follow. Don't enter the room with Meldrath though. Not until we are ready to engage. I want to give the others enough time to get my daughter. I will keep Meldrath distracted long enough hopefully. Don't count on alot of time though. Move as fast as you safely can. We can meet back at the druid ring in Steamfont when our tasks are completed. Any questions? Objections? Comments?"

"Will.."

"No Zarn, I'm not doing a striptease, but I can get Hunts to dance for you. The dwarf loves to dance. But later. Now we get my girl back, and settle a score."

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject:

As the table broke up and everyone started off to their rooms to gather gear and supplies for their foray into Steamfont, Simply tapped Zarn on the shoulder and ask, "May I speak with you a moment?"

Zarn grinned mischeiviously, "You want to make mad passionate love to me and worship at my feet before we leave."

"In your dreams."

"There too."

"Urgh! Listen, I need you to create something small with an illusion attached to it. Something easily carried about a person that won't get in the way. The illusion should not be difficult, specially for you. I want something that will make Murd's face look whole so he does not need to wear the eyepatch. He can see with the eye beneath, but he can't walk around showing what is beneath that patch. Can you manage that?"

"I can do it, but it will take time."

"He will need it before we leave. Please Zarn! I rarely ask you for much. Do this for me."

"Ok, you will have it before we leave."

"Thank you."

*********************************************************************************

The two groups gathered in Steamfont outside the cave wherein Meldrath made his home. Last minute wishes for success and spells of protection were cast before final intructions were given.

Simply took a deep breath before speaking, "Alright everyone. Thanks again so much for all your help. Mossy, hold Murdakin's sword until the fighting starts. Murd and I will be escorted into Meldrath's room. Everyone else follow with invis spells... quietly. They will take us along the far left hand passage. There are a couple passages to the right. If you follow the last passag to the right, it wraps around behind Meldrath's chambers and leads to a large enclosed area where they have been keeping my daughter. I will stop for a moment and rub my eye like I got something in it. That is your signal for Siskiny and the guys with her to take that passage. I will try to stall Meldrath as long as possible to give you the time needed to reach her. Any questions? Good. Let's do this."

A flurry of hand motions and muttered words began and the people surrounding Simply and Murdakin slowly faded from view. First Anstel, then Siskiny, Tothel, Hunts, Zarn, Montag, and so on, til all were gone from sight. Simply took a deep breath and turned towards to cave entrance. As someone grabbed her arm, she stopped and turned back to look into Murdakin's eyes.

"They will get her. And Meldrath will not hurt you or anyone else again. I promise you that." Murdakin gently squeezed her arm once and then let go. No further conversation was needed.

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject:

Simply slipped a ring out of her pocket and onto her finger. Pointed it at Murdakin. Murd's feet slowly raised a couple inches off the ground.

Under his breath Murdakin mumbled, "I hate floaties."

"Time to play unconsious, Warrior." grinned Simply.

"You're enjoying this," Murdakin accused.

"You bet I am," agreed Simply with a smile. The smile quickly vanished. "I gotta have something to keep me from going insane. I don't know what I will do if I loose her."

"You won't. Trust us." came a voice out of the air at Simply's side. She recognized it instantly as Siskiny who uttered the comforting words.

Murdakin closed his eyes and did his best impersonation of a feigned dead monk. Luckily Meldrath only needed to believe him unconsious and not dead. Simply grabbed the back of his breastplate and begane to drag him behind her as she marched off to the cave.

Inside the cave Simply dragged Murdakin passed a minatuar sentry who glared at her, but did not attack. As she came to the first intersection, a familiar skeleton was waiting with no expression noticable on it's skull. "The master has been waiting for you. Follow." The skeleton turned and without a backward glance proceeded deeper into the cave.

At the next intersection Simply stumbled, releasing Murdakin from her grasp and falling to one knee. "Ouch," she cried out facing the opposite tunnel the skeleton was entering. Anyone who was listening for it could hear the soft tread of a foot fall down the tunnel Simply was facing. "Bristlebane please protect and guide them," she whispered before standing back up. Grumbling more loudly she said out load for any to hear, " Think I may have twisted something. One moment." And to give more credence to her ruse, Simply cast a small healing spell upon herself wasting mana that she hoped she would not need later. "Ok, proceed." Once again Simply grabbed Murdakin's breastplate and dragged the floating warrior after the skeleton.

A heavy foot fall made the minotuar guard turn, but he saw nothing which could have made the noise. Thinking of the food waiting him at the end of his shift, the guard continued his rounds passing out of the tunnel which had made a noise.

"Dorf, if you can't keep those huge clubs you call feet from banging on the ground, then all the invisable spells in Norrath are not going to fool these minos," came a whispered voice outta the air.

"Let them see me. I will do the Butcherblock Stomp all over his..."

"Shhhh.... You two save your chest puffing for later. I found her." Quiet fell around her as Siskiny began to relate her findings. "She is just up ahead and around the corner. There is a tunnel that widens out before it dead ends. In the dead end with her is three mino sentrys and the Mino Lord. We are going to have to kill them to get Simply's daughter out of there. They are standing too close to her."

The second voice spoke. "The Mino Lord is mine. He will learn what it is to face a true Paladin of Butcherblock."

"Not so loud, Hunts." Tothel sighed, "I think that Bardboy and I can keep the sentrys occupied and out of the way until you finish with the Mino Lord. It will be fun."

"Fun, fun he calls it. That is what you said about Befallen. We found out where the "fallen" came from in Befallen."

"Let me sneak in first and get to Gavriel. You guys will be on your own with the minos while I deal with her," said Siskiny.

"Anything else before Sis goes in?" asked Rokan. When no response came he said, "Ok, Sis. Be careful. We will be right behind you."

"I am always careful. You know that," a female voice faded away as Siskiny sneaked off towards Gavriel and the minos.

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject:

"Nice of you to finally join me, Simply. And I assume the warrior your draggin behind you is your success. Excellent. Nicely done. If this worked as well as I hoped, you will soon be having a visit with your little brat," Meldrath smile never went passed his lips as his hungry eyes took in the picture of Simply entering his chambers dragging in the floating object of his hopes.

Simply stopped moving as her entire body went rigid. "If you have done anything to hurt.."

"You brat is fine." Meldrath cut her off. "Now wake him up. If he functions as well as I hope, then you will have alot of work ahead of you, my dear Simply."

If possible, Simply's body became more rigid. "You said if I did this that you would let Gav go. You did not mention any further work."

"I lied," he stated without even blinking. "You honestly didn't think that I could keep to that bargain. Oh, I will allow you to visit with her, but she stays with me. As long as her life is in my hands, so my dear, is yours. You will obey me just as any good pet would and do my bidding, or risk her life! Do I make myself clear?"

Simply managed to just barely unclench her teeth and get the words out, "Yes, Meldrath"

"Good," again his lips moved into a smile that never went any further. "Now, before you awaken the guest of honor to see what he can do, I would like to remind you just who you are dealing with." Meldrath began to mutter darkly under his breath. As he pushed his hands out, a dark blast flew from his hands and Anstel screamed in agony as acid ate through his skin. Abruptly the sreaming stopped and Anstel fell to the floor appearing to be dead.

"No!" Simply yelled.

"I thought you cared more for your daughter. You should have been a necro." Another mutter under his breath, Meldrath's eyes flashed briefly and Zarn appear. Although he looked to be unharmed, Zarn turned and ran straight into a wall and continued to try and run through it. "Kill all but the girl, she still has work to do."

Several things began to happen at once.Conjo appeared, casting a spell to summon a pet to his aid. One of the minotaurs guarding Meldrath's room moved to attack Murdakin, while the other stepped towards Conjo. Meldrath's pet also moved to help the mino who was about to attack Murdakin. Simply stepped in front of the still unarmed Murdakin and started to chant a spell. Anstel jumped up from the ground, still hurt but alive.

About the same time that the commotion broke out in Meldrath's cave, Siskiny had made her way to Gavriel. The child was asleep on a mat in the back of a large cave. Siskiny knelt down next to her. A roar sounded from the opening of the large cave and Siskiny prepared to grab the child and make a run for it. A second roar of agony and outrage sounded as Siskiny enfolded the still sleeping child in her arms and chanced a glance at where the noise issued.

One minotaur was laying on the ground dead. Another was already bleeding as it tried to defend itself against the large sword weilded by the short man in front of him. Hunts was actually doing a little dance between advancing on the injured mino. Another mino stopped his advancement on the rescue party as Montag competed casting a spell, rooting the monster to the floor of the cave. Arrows began to protrude from it's chest as the deadly accuracy of Tothel found his mark. Within a minute of the first roar, half the minotaur force within the large cave was dead, or stopped in some way.

A soothing sound enveloped Siskiny and she saw Aulan beside her singing his protective magic around her and the child within her arms. Simply's child. They had her... safe. All they had to do now was get her out alive.

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject:

A sword appeared in Murdakin's hand and he opened his eyes. As he attempted to take in the whole situation, the first things to catch his attention was Meldrath's pet taking a swing at him. Brigning his sword up and forward, he managed to block the skeleton's swing in time. Murd then countered with a swing of his own nearly cleaving the skeleton in two. The skeleton managed to get his next swing under Murd's guard and connected with his armored body doing little damage. Before Murdakin could take another swing, Anstel's form blurred across his vision. Leaping high, Anstel's foot connected with skeleton skull with a loud crack.

Murdakin turned to his left in time to see Simply take the blow meant for him from the minotaur. Her little gnomish body sailed backwards hitting the wall. Simply slipped to the floor moaning. Anger contorted Murdakin's face and a whirring sound could be heard coming from about his person as the clockwork gears in his arms activated. An unidentifiable yell emitted from Murdakin's lungs as he launched himself at the minotaur.

Conjo's pet floated in the air heading straight for Meldrath. Conjo starting another spell under his breath, preparing to take aim at the necro and aid his pet.

Anstel was in the process of moving to attack the second mino gaurd when his body was surrounded by a soft glow and his wounds dissappeared. "Heal Simp!" Anstel yelled and proceeded to land a serious of blows to the minotaurs mid section.

Mossiah turned to see Simply still laying on the floor near the wall barely moving. He consentrated and used his abilities of nature to heal Simply's wounds, enabling her to stand once more.

Shaking his head to clear the last of the fear spell from his mind, Zarn stepped back fromt he wall he was trying to run through and turned around to access the fight before him. Making a quick decision Zarn yelled, "Feign Monk!" Casting a quick spell, he watched as Anstel stopped his attack and dropped to the floor. Zarn's spell released from his hands and surrounded the mino. The mino guard froze where he stood and did not move, even a small twitch.

Anstel sprang back to his feet and moved to assist Conjo's fading pet with Meldrath. Roots shot up from the ground to entangle the Meldrath's feet as another spell was completed by Mossiah. And still the necro fought on, casting spell after spell to repel his enemies.

The clash of metal and howls of rage continued as Murdakin and the mino guard exchanged several fierce blows. Murdakin's arms moved with unbelievable speed as he struck the minotaur again and again. The mino dropped to it's knees. Murd drove his sword into the mino's throat with a powerful thrust and then jumped back taking his sword with him to avoid most of the spray of blood which followed. Murdakin spun to face Meldrath before the mino's body finished it's decent to the dirt packed floor.

"MELDRATH!" Murdakin screamed followed by a string a gnomish profanities not fit for publication in a student's report. For once the infamous warrior taunt worked and Meldrath's full attention turned to Murdakin.

Back in the other cave with Gavriel, more fighting was going on. A minotaur sentry dropped to the ground at the feet of Rokan's pet as an arrow made deadly contact through it's eye socket. A glancing blow met resistance from Hunts' armor as the stocky dwarf laughed up at it's advisary. Hunts danced back a step before lunging back in for the kill.

Gavriel woke with a start, as if jolted by the death cry of the minotaur. Her face bunched up and she let out a shrill scream that rivalled any of the mino's death cries. Gavriel's eyes opened wide as she began to struggle and yell out for her mommy. The sound of singing pierced through her screams to reach Gavriel's hearing. Instantly she stopped screaming and looked at the bard standing next to her. Gav's face softened and her body relaxed. She lay there in Siskiny's arms completely charmed by Aulan.

The last minotaur within the cave fell as an arrow found it's way to his heart. Hunts spun to face Tothel with an annoyed look on his face. "That was mine. I wasn't done with him yet." Tothel shrugged a half apology. Hunts turned back to survey the cave, missing the smile that tugged at Tothel's lips as he unstrung his bow and walked to join the others with Gavriel.

As the others joined her, Siskiny looked down at Gavriel and said, "She's so cute. Look, she has Simp's nose."

"And her lungs," commented Rokan dryly. Laughter followed that comment and Rokan said a fond farewell to his pet. The pet vanished back to where it was summoned from.

"Alright, let's get this little lady to her momma. Montag, if you please..."

The lithe woodelf stepped to the middle of the group and closed his eyes in concentration. Softly chanting to himself, Montag created a portal around the odd group of friends and in the blink of an eye they were gone.

"Um, Montag... This isn't Steamfont." Siskiny stated.

"HOME!" cried out Hunts.

Montag sighed, "I know. It is as close as I can get us with a group spell. I do not know Steamfont well enough to take an entire group there. I can cast spirit of the wolf on you all to speed your journey and gate to Steamfont myself to let Simply know that her daughter is safe."

"If me mum found out that I was back in the mountains and didn't stop in to say 'hi' to her, I will never hear the end of it. You guys... and gal, take the wee one back to her mum while I go visit mine." Hunts turned to leave and thought better of it. "I will take a little speed spell to hurry my own journey though." He grinned.

Montag muttered a quick spell under his breath and aimed it at Hunts. "There you go, Momma's boy!"

Hunts just grinned. "Thanks Woody!"

As Hunts began running towards home, Aulan's song changed. His beautiful singing enfolded those left in the group. He continued to charm the small child with his singing, while adding a second song. Bringing out a small drum, he began a counter beat on the small drum. Grinning impishly, he nodded his head towards Greater Feydark indicating that Siskiny should lead the way.

"See you all in Steamfont," Montag said and quickly gated away as the remaining four members of the group ran off to meet st the druid ring in Steamfont.

Simply Taken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Meldrath glared at Murdakin, hatred pouring out of him in waves. Muttering darkly under his breath, Meldrath aimed his next spell at Murdakin. A foul oder filled the air as a spray of acid shot from the necromancer's hands to land on Murdakin. The acid quickly began to eat through metal and sensitive flesh alike.

"Bristlebane! Hear my prayer!" shouted Simply as she focused her mind on Murdakin's wounds. His wounds faded before she could finish her plea to the god she worshipped.

Meldrath's gazed swept over Simply for a fraction of a moment his attention deverted. As Murdakin took another step closer, almost within swinging range, Meldrath's attention moved back to the little warrior who seemed to be the biggest current threat. Anstel choose that moment to move in, his fists flying as he hit Meldrath multiple times in the side and chest. Meldrath ignored the monk. His complete concentration on Murdakin. Meldrath completed another spell and Murdakin was suddenly surrounded by a dark cloud. Murdakin swung his sword at Meldrath in slow motion, missing completely. With Murdakin slowed and his threat deminished, Meldrath turn and cast yet another spell. This spell was aimed at Anstel. Anstel's eyes opened wide and he turned to run.

The monk and warrior safely taken care of for the moment, Meldrath's attention wandered once again and latched on the injured elemental pet floating before him. Meldrath began to mutter again. He seemed to pull from an endless pool of energy to cast his spells one right after another. Again a jet of acid flew from Meldrath. This time the Conjo's pet was the target. With an awful hiss and a strange putrid smell, the elemental disappeared.

At the same time that the elemental vanished, Zarn released a spell of his own. Meldrath stopped. He was completely mezmerized, unable to move. Murdakin shook off the last of the slow spell and walked up to Meldrath. He stared into Meldrath's eyes and said not a word. Raising his sword into the air, gears turning, Murdakin swung with all his might and severed the necro's head from his body. Murdakin bent to wipe the blood off his blade on Meldrath's robe before turning to retrieve his head.

"A small remembrance," Murdakin said softly as he took the necro's head and placed it in a bag to hang at his side.Simply gave a small shiver and glanced away. No one else said a word. They all gathered around Mossiah. "Let's get out of here."

Mossiah closed his eyes and began to cast a spell to take them safely away from the minotaur caves and out into Steamfont. As he finished his spell the small party of friends vanished from the caves.

At the edge of steam font where a small trail lead through the hills into Lesser Faydark a small band of four gnomes and two tallies appeared.

"Um, Mossy, you missed the druid ring." Simply stated.

"Yeah, I used a succor spell to bring us to a safe place within steamfont. I do not know the location of the Druid Ring within your homeland to take us all there. We will have to run from here. Let me infuse you all with the Spirit of the Wolf to make our journey faster." No sooner had Mossiah finished speaking, then he began casting.

"Simply, I beg your forgiveness. For I must leave you here and return to my own journey. I know you will be in good hands," Anstel looked pointedly at Murdakin. "Until we meet again. Safe journey, Friend." with those parting words, Anstel turned and ran off toward the trail leading to Lesser Faydark.

"Nothing to forgive. Thank you and take care!" Simply shouted after his retreating back.

"I must go as well, my little friends. I have some unfinished business to attend to. Can I give anyone a lift somewhere before I depart?" asked Mossiah.

Zarn spoke up, "Yes, to West Commonlands. I have some transactions to make near there."

"Anyone else? No? OK, Fare thee all well. Until our paths cross once more." Mossiah grabbed Zarn by the sleeve of his robe and began to recite his spell.

"Bye Simp, Conjo. Nice to meet you Murdakin." Zarn got out before he vanished with Mossiah.

"And then there were three. Let's go." Simply said as she put action to words. She had only moved about 10 feet when a group went speeding by her and stopped. Simply recognized the diminished group in front of her as those who went to save her daughter and froze. Resting in the arms of Siskiny's arms was her child. Stepping slowly forward Simply never noticed the bard bringing his song to an end. Slowly Gavriel's eyes opened to see her mother hovering above her.

"Mommee?"

"Yes, thank Bristlebane. Yes." Simply said as she took Gavriel into her arms and began to shed tears of joy. "Thank you. Thank you all."

"Any time," Siskiny said giving bother mother and daughter a hug. "We will meet you back at the guild hall. You need time alone with your daughter."

As they started to drift away, Simply reached out to Murdakin, "Wait Murd." She looked adoringly at her child. "This is my daughter Gavriel. Gav, this is my friend, Murdakin. He helped me to get you back."

The child looked at him with uncertainty, "Hello Murdakin"

Murdakin looking almost as uncertain as the child replied back, "Hello Gavriel."

"Murd," Simply said, "I owe you so much. I would like to help you start your new life. There are no warriors within our guild, but I have friends that are watchmen. Through them you can get proper training to be a warrior. If you would like?"

"If I train here in Ak'anon, does that mean that I would get to see more of you?" Murdakin asked.

A small blush rose to Simply's cheeks. "I think that could be arranged."

"Then, yes, I would like the training here."

Gavriel tugged on Simply's arm. "Mommee, can I have a cookie?"

"Mmmmm, cookies." Murd smiled.

Laughing, Simply picked Gavriel up into her arms and started walking besides Murdakin towards Ak'anon. "I think we all deserve a cookie."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Tales from the Road All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: