The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Complete reinstall

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

bilisweetrose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Complete reinstall

well, my computer just crashed and lost some files. It is now downloading 1/2 hours of files for SOE. So, I think time to reinstall all.

So, looking for suggestions in the process and specifically what EQ files should I try to save before I wipe this thing.

Thanks
Bili

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Actually, if you have a place to put them before you format, copy off your entire EQ folder. It will save you hours worth of patching. Embarassed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Swetch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reinstalling EQ

If you've lost/damaged some files, probably best to go ahead and reinstall EQ(in the order of expansion release, btw). Find something else to do while you wait as the process isnt entirely fast, especially if you purchased any of the expansions online and have to download em.

As far as files to save.. you'll probably want to keep the ini files(and anything that has your character name in it), as they store your basic character settings, your UI folder if yer running a custom UI(and you should be if you arent!) and any maps you've personally modified(and dont forget to download the whole lot once you've reinstalled EQ).

Also, don't forget to do driver updates and all that jazz if yer gonna reinstall the system, etc as well.

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If you've lost/damaged some files

Unlike most programs, when EQ files become damaged or lost, you want to keep what you have and let the patcher pick up the discrepancies. Avoid completely reinstalling EQ at all costs - I've been through multiple formats and I've been on the same installation of EQ since I started playing. Reinstalling from scratch is a bitch that's easily avoided if you have the place to store the files. A fresh installation will need to download somewhere around a gigabyte worth of files, and it will take you weeks to get back your zone builds if you use texture caching. I can't state how much time it will save you to copy every inch of your EQ folder over to something else.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: