The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
i quit smoking today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Ggel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: i quit smoking today

it's been about 4 hours since my last smoke. i've been chain chewing the nicotine gum. this is very hard, anyone else have any experience in quitting? i'll take any tips i can get. ok im going in game now, maybe it will take my mind off it.

Riverdane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Pavel has quit more times than anyone I know.

Then again, maybe he would be the wrong one to send you to....=p

Good luck, man, I couldn't do it...=/

BonlainyT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Good luck Ggel, tough task from what I hear.

tenri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Well i have quite about 4 times LOL but the best way i found or should i say the longest it has lasted was when i did it cold turkey locked in a room for a couple of days. A long weekend i get very nasty at this point
It lasted 2 years till i went camping with freinds and got drunk woke up with the habbit in full swing LOL

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Crymea
Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject:

When people say that quitting smoking is one of the most difficult things you'll ever do, they aren't lying. I have tried many times myself, only to pick the habit right back up again. But, many have done the same with success, so don't let my failure curb you in any manner.

From people that I've know that made it, the best way overall is to quit cold turkey. Stop buying the cigarettes (easier typed than done), and just stop altogether. Use of relaxataion therapy during the process also apparently does wonders. It seems to have the highest rate of success compared to stop-smoking aids. Nicotine Gum appears to be one of the worst of the bunch, as I know only one person that was able to quit using it, however if it is working for you, keep it up! The patch appears to be a step up from the gum, as I'm aware of a few friends that made it using the patch.

The nicotine inhaler, while a good idea, has serious flaws. You still have the oral fixation (waits for the dirty jokes to stop) to deal with, and you're still ingesting nicotine the same way that you did when you were smoking a cigarette. A lollipop or chewing gum would probably help that a bit, but it still makes things easier to "step back" to lighting up again. I don't know anyone that has made it through using the inhaler.

Be sure to warn your friends before you get too far into the journey. You will get angry, you will get frustrated, you will get aggressive. I won't lie to you. It's hard. Very hard. The first week is difficult to get through, but from what I've seen of my friends that did it, if you can make it that far, you have a superb chance of making it to a smoke free life.

tenri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject:

One more point to make
If your a drinker you know beer/wine/jack then DONT DRINK when you try to quite
For me it was beer the beer and cig combo was to much have a drink have a cig hand in hand

Tyranimus is right about the mood change its VERY bad wife kick me out of the house last time LOL and told me to have a cig

Last edited by tenri on Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

stoneclaww

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Quitting smoking was one of the most difficult things ive done. However, it was well worth it, I quit 6 years ago and convinced that its the best thing Ive ever done.

Especially since I just lost my Dad today from a massive coronary, due in no small part to his 40+ years of smoking.

By the way, I prolly wont be on for a few days.

Peace

Quote:
never come to a battle of wits with no ammunition

tenri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Condolences from the RL family of tenri to the RL family of stoneclaww

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Ouch, sorry to hear that Stone.. Sad

Kudos to those that have stopped smoking - that is something to be proud of. I have great respect for those that have quit after a long-term habit. Its very, very tough.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Xanaux Goldenclaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Stone,

My condolances to you and your family.

Xan/Jen

Jendrick Wenslayer
62nd Heirophant of Tunare

RudeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Well man, good luck. I dont know if you want my pointers, but Ive been quit now for over 10 months, and I was a full fledged smoker for 14 years. I realize almost everyone will tell you that they had to avoid drinking and bars etc, but as I am a bartender, that road was out for me, so I just got absolutley shit faced for about 2 weeks. It was the only way I could sleep because I was as tense as hell. Food helps as well, but its also really important to be weight conscious. You can baloon right up. I chewed alot of straws, gum, stirrers, toothpicks and ate alot of fries .

The other nice thing is that there is no more smoking in the bars in CT now, well, at least the ones with restaraunt liscences, so it is not as hard to go out either........

Just ask me when you see me how I feel about smoking now that I have a newly aquired olfactory sense. Not to mention I can now play a whole soccer game without wheezing, oh, and I didnt have that nasty 3 month long cough this fall either....

PavelCursebreaker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Riverdane wrote:
Pavel has quit more times than anyone I know.

Then again, maybe he would be the wrong one to send you to....=p

Good luck, man, I couldn't do it...=/

Almost a month with no smokes this time =p

SapphireSniper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject:

I did some research the last time I tried to quit and found that most "experts" agree that people usually try to quit an average of 7 times before they're successful. I'm 0 for 3 so far so I still have hope Smile last time was going well for two months. I thought about how many actual cravings I get a day and started with amount for two weeks.. for me it was 4. Then I went to 3.. got to the end of 2 a day and the blackout drove me back up and I lost my will. I'm sure that if I try again, maybe with some aides like Zyban or gum or something, it'll work Smile Good luck to anyone trying! You and your friends and family have my sympathy!

Jaffod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject:

check out the side effects on the zyban first

LaRue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject:

Sorry to hear about your father Stone. You and the family are in our prayers.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: