The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
What should low-level shamans be doing in groups?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: What should low-level shamans be doing in groups?

So, I'm doing a LOT of DGuk adventures on Goorp, since I'm getting a whopping 1 AP each success and I need 24 to buy Spirit of Shrew. (My calculations currently are that I'll get it mid-way through level 30, by which point I'll be in the top 5 in DGuk for Vazaelle, having already gotten to #55.)

But I don't feel like I'm doing enough in groups. I usually go with a cleric who handles the majority of the healing, so as a level 26 shaman, I'm mostly slowing everything (with hotkey to alert folks), root-parking adds, keeping up buffs and doing cures when people set off floor traps. But a lot of the time, when we just have a single or double pull, all I'm doing is hitting everything with a slow and then cannibalizing and medding.

I have quite a decent mana pool for level 26 (I sort of went overboard on a few pieces of armor, and have a mana preservation foci), but I always seem to be running a little low on man at the moment. (And remembering to constantly cannibalize is harder than I realized -- I look down and see a low level of mana and that I've regenerated back all of my health again, wasting that buff's effects, argh.)

Am I missing something, or is this pretty much the life of a shaman at this level? Regular old Healing seems to be pretty useless at this level, other than for keeping casters alive, and I can't wait for Greater Healing at 29 ...

Last edited by Whizbang Dustyboots on Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

BonlainyT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Not playing a shaman I can't answer your questions, but I can say that the several groups I have done with you in LDoN you have kicked ass and we RAWKED. I think the slows and cures are huge, as well as keeping the casters alive so the main healer can focus on the tank(s). If you guys can keep my skinny ranger tank alive in there then you are doing something right.

Aelorean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject:

I've noticed a lot of postings where people are playing a lot of alts now that LDoN has come out. Is there a benefit to this? Or, is just coincidence?

Stupid question, but I've never seen so many people playing alts so I feel like I'm missing something..hehe

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Whizbang wrote:
But I don't feel like I'm doing enough in groups. I usually go with a cleric who handles the majority of the healing, so as a level 26 shaman, I'm mostly slowing everything (with hotkey to alert folks), root-parking adds, keeping up buffs and doing cures when people set off floor traps. But a lot of the time, when we just have a single or double pull, all I'm doing is hitting everything with a slow and then cannibalizing and medding.

Welcome to playing a shaman. Razz As far as just slowing everything then Canni and med bit goes, I don't think there's much more you can do. Aggro is such a delicate thing with shaman that if you were to dot the mobs as well, you could find yourself as a manasponge for the cleric, or dead. Not only that, but your poison dots probably will not even go full term on mobs in such a group. IMO, if you're sitting on mana on normal pulls, throw a debuff in after your slow (the Malo or Cripple line) so that casting / meleeing the mob becomes easier. (I'm sure wizzies like MR/FR/CR debuffs on mobs. hehe) Not much else you can do, me thinks. Lord knows a shaman's DD spells greatly sucketh. Oh, and as far as the root-parking of adds, most shaman don't do this well especially at your level, so if you've got that skill down you're doing quite well. (My alts hate it when the shaman in the group gets aggro then runs around in a circle, screaming like a red headed step child "I've got aggro, I'm going to die, aahhhhhhh!!!!" It's annoying.)

(AKA - Brent)

Sindace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Just auto on someone and go afk like the rest of us...

Otherwise your only real job is to slow stuff. And heal the cleric if he starts going down. Other than that dots arent really useful in LDoN due to the speed of kills so DD if you have the mana. Ding 45, go buy a JBB, contrary to popular belief *cough* Murobo *cough* JBB's own for dmg. Sorry, just love that bracer. I just slow, if I get bored I'll chain nuke til I get agro. That's about it, if you get too bored just go watch some tv in the other room. Since you're still in your 20's no one will know the difference.

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Aelorean wrote:
Stupid question, but I've never seen so many people playing alts so I feel like I'm missing something..hehe
All dungeons scale from 20-65 and if you can't put together a group on your main, you can still go do the same content on an alt.

Jaffod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject:

At that level Whiz, you can still be semi viable at melee - especially if your tank keeps zoning in and out, or sitting down Laughing . Basically you do as you mentioned. Does get dull sometimes I guess but, well thats the life.

You do have to get used to your health bar being of primary concern as opposed to your mana bar, if you can get some regen do it. At the low levels ubah regen is basically unlimited mana - later in life you can laugh when the other casters bitch about no KEI.

Did you invest in a ton of WIS gear? As you get higher, plan on swapping to hp gear, when some ubah mob gets pissed at you for slowing and crippling his ass, it wont matter one bit that you have max WIS.

You already know about the serverwide crucible channel as I have seen you in it Smile , it is actually a good source of info

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject:

At the moment he's got more WIS gear than HP or STA gear, but mostly he's loaded up with every level 2 focus item that works on his spells but ID2. I figured casting faster, harder, cheaper with a longer-lasting effect was the way to go. It's helped some, but I intend to mostly just worry about Improved Healing 3, Mana Preservation 3 and Extended Enhancement 3 when the time comes for me to swap out this gear.

Jaffod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Focus items are good to have - I just wish I had some.

At the lower levels though being a WIS caster is ok, but at the higher levels...well then you are a shamdrood so go kite something. At around 53 I had WIS of 255. Now it is 220 or so, but I have HP in every slot and I run unbuffed HP of ~2200 - which isn't too bad as my gear is crap in relation to the uber shammies.

Anyway I love to talk shammy stuff, so if you want to chat in game just send me a tell

Burab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject:

You been doing fine work... even for a Frog! Just slow dem bishes, and canni canni canni. save mana for when back up heals are needed. Or you can get funky and nuke shit. Your gonna get agro anyways, might as well do it with style Smile

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Burab. It's nerve-wracking being a shaman in a group with someone who plays one as their main. I keep thinking that everyone's just quietly saying "Idiot!" at their screen, since this is all so different from wizard-style play. Embarassed

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I feel the same way playing my wizzy... and my SK, and my rogue, and my... Confused

(AKA - Brent)

LaRue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject:

I've found when grping for LDoN the grp wants me to slow and keep Dex, Agi, and Regen on melees.

As far as the Wince, Cast, Wince, Wince, Wince, Cast goes Whiz. I keep Regen on me and I have a Ceremonial Iksar CP. Shm Regen spell stacks with it. I can wince up 40m pretty quickly and regen health back fast.

In regular grp play. They have me to slow, debuff and root adds if no Enc in grp. Occassionally I get to nuke.

Talvarien

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject:

Lots of great shammys in our guild! I'm surprised two of em haven't sounded off here yet though...LOGIKTUE AND BRIEAH...REPRESENT!

tal

PH@T L3WTS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Alts

Whizbang, I have a 49 shaman alt that I do alot of dungeons with and I know from experience that even with KEI I'm pretty much close to OOM the whole way through! But I find that I'm doing alot of disease curing (for slows) and root parking and then of course keeping the buffs up. I also, like everyone here said, do all the spot heals and keep the cleric alive. You aren't doing badly if you are cannibilizing the whole way through, I can NOT even imagine doing it without KEI.
By the way, my SK Saatre has just turned 26 if you need an extra in one of your crawls. She's in the channel also, just look me up!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: