The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
My router is floating belly up

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sylor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: My router is floating belly up

ok here's the deal. It's a long story.

I use a Linksys NR041 model router. Our ISP is Knology.

Mya's desktop is the primary comp. My laptop is the secondary.

2 days ago, I was online when the power went out. It came back in about 5 minutes later but I couldn't get online.
After checking, testing, unplugging, replugging, turning everything off and on, etc... I came to the conclusion that the problem is the router. I don't know what the problem is though. All the status lights are indicating that it works fine, the connection icon is on my tray and says connected at 100.00 Mbps, same as always. But when I try to use IE, EQ or anything else online, I get an error message saying I am not connected to the internet. It is like there is a serious firewall running but I can't locate it.

If I unplug the comp from the router and plug it directly in to the cable modem-ISP thingy everything works fine.... hence my ability to make this post. It's only when I try to run through the router that everything fails.

I have upgraded the firmware, reset defaults, you name, I've done it.

Sooooooooooo anyone have any suggestions? Mya and I can't get online at the same time without the router so we are pretty desperate. If you have some suggestions, I'm willing to try them.

Sy

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject:

What I'd keep coming back to from a troubleshooting standpoint is what the scenario was when it worked before the power outage.

After some extensive searching, I found out that the NR041 is a discontinued model (its pretty old).

If you continue having problems with it, the BEFSR41 is not expensive, in fact is pretty cheap from most places (~50 bucks).

I stumbled on www.linksys-router.com which has a more detailed listing of Linksys products as well as user help forums. They also have a complete listing of Linksys products with purchase links that point to Amazon. I've never bought anything from that site, but it looks pretty good.

From working at a place with extreme power problems, sometimes a surge or something simliar will cause isolated ports to "burn out" on some of our switches, and they continue functioning OK as long as we keep things out of the burned out ports. I guess I'd try to move your cables around on different ports to see if you can get anything on any of them. The only other problem (outside of the device being bad) would be the router's configuration (obviously since your PC's are using the cable modem directly just fine).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: