The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Dude.....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Carianna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Dude.....

I'm getting a Dell!

Okay, so last night finally pissed me off to the point that I broke down and ordered a new PC. But before I tell you what is waiting for me in a couple of weeks, where is what I currently have/had.

About 2 and a half years or so ago, I built my first PC. It was a 1GHz Athalon processor. I started off with 256MB DIMM RAM, a Voodoo 3 32MB vid card, a brand new 52X CD-ROM and 3.5 inch floppy. Had a nice, I think 300 Watt power supply, all hooked up to a A-Bit KT7-A mother board, and a Sound Blaster Live! Value that was from my old PC bought around 1994.

For the most part this worked, and still does very well, except for in some games. But before I get to the problems, the following have all been replaced and/or added to the system.

Just before Luclin came out I added another 256 MB DIMM Ram. Not long after that I got a Ge Force 3 64MB vid card.

Then the CD drive wouldn't work right so I had to replace that with a new CD-ROM drive so I could re-install EQ after a complete system wipe to rebuild.

Then earlier this year, I added yet another 512MB DIMM RAM and upgraded the Vid card to a 128 MB Ge Force 4 4600 TI vid card.

Then earlier this week the system just would not boot up some times and I found that the Power Supply and the fan inside was starting to go out, along with the CPU fan. So I replaced the power supply with a nice 400 WATT power supply and a new CPU fan. Oh and the power supply was Intel and AMD approved.

Though I have had a few other acutally system issues, I seem, and always have had problems with the Video Locking up on the PC. I can still hear stuff going on in the back ground, but the screen is frozen. I had this problem with all 3 Vid cards and has been the cause of many, many deaths in EQ.

Well I'm not really that deep into PC technogly, and well the actuall cash to build the system over again, as I would not only have to get a new Mother Board, and Processor, but new RAM as well, to tweek a new "My" built PC. So I decided to get a pre-built package deal. The good thing about Dell, is that I still got to choose what I wanted, for the most part, and still get a tested system that should work and be trust worthy.

We use Dells at the corp office that I work at and I have had good luck with them here so things should be pretty solid.

Because I am so excited, below you can see what I actually ordered.

Pentium® 4 Processor at 3GHz with 800MHz front side bus (Well, I really wanted the 3.2GHz processor, but no matter what I could do, I was about $10 over what I was financed for, but 3GHz is still good right? )
Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices: 3.5 in Floppy Drive (I don't care how far we have come, always need one of these)
Mouse: No Mouse (I have a great optical mouse now. So why do I need a new one? )
Secondary CD or DVD Drive: FREE UPGRADE! New 48x/24x/48x Max CD-RW Drive (WOOT! my first CD burner! and it's "Free"! )
Sound Card: Sound Blaster­ Audigy 2™ sound card with DVD Audio (The first Sound Card upgrade for me in about 10 years)
XPS Specialized Support: DIM XPS, REPORTING XTS, DHS (Oooo! I looked this up, and because I am buying a "XPS" system, or Dell's "Gaming PC" I get special support for a year! WOW)
Multi-Media Players: No RealOne™ Player Selected (now why do I need to pay these guys money to install something that I can download from the web for free?)
Security Software: Dell SecurityCenter by McAfee, 90-day introductory offer (I prefer Norton, but oh well. I couldn't not get some version of this as Dell "Makes" you take at least this option)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options: 1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year At-Home Service (I know. I SHOULD take more, but just didn't have the cash for it. But then again, I'm not a complete idot when it comes to computers and well, like Shiloch, I am not afraid to re-format the drive and re-install.)
Software Bundles: No Productivity Software (Already have what I need here, why spend more money on useless programs to me?)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (I first started with Home Edition, but when I dropped down to a 3GHz processor, to get it under limit, I had a little more room to play with in other areas. I crossing my fingers that getting XP Pro, as 64 bit system, will run close to what the 3.2GHz with Home edition would run.)
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M) (I wasn't about to go any lower than 1GB here. and Dual Channel at 400MHz.. Ooooooo)
Monitors: Video Ready w/o Monitor (why buy a new one? I already have a great 19 inch flat screen.)
High Speed Internet Access: Find a high speed Internet service provider in your area (Umm.. already have one, but thanks)
Surge Protectors: Protect Your Investment Belkin SurgeMaster Gold - 10 Outlet with Coax (for Broadband) (well since the one I'm using now is about 10 years old, probably should get a new one.)
Keyboard: Dell ® Quietkey ® Keyboard (Umm.. what ever. Got one, but no option to not get one sent)
Digital Music: Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH (Okay.. sure. Another option that there was no way I could say no to. There was no option to say "No Thanks" on this one)
Speakers: No Speaker Option (already have a pair, but thanks for asking)
Hard Drives: 80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM) (Cool.. I like)
Network Interface: Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet (I already have a good network card, but again, it was either this, or spend $40 more and get Dell's NIC Card.)
CD or DVD Drive: 16 Max DVD-ROM Drive (I already have a 19 inch TV and a DVD player so don't really need a DVD-ROM, but hey, I'm not complaining.)
Digital Photography: No Digital Imaging Software Requested (No Camera, no need for a Camera, so no need for this stuff)
Modem: No Modem Requested (I have broad band, and if I need one, I can get one to get me by for about $15)
Video Cards: New 128MB GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card with TV-Out (now I looked this up and it's a very nice card. Not the best, but very nice. I would have loved to get a 256MB card, but they only had this one and 2 Radan's.. and was to much to get the raydon cards)
Dial-Up Internet Access: No ISP requested (umm.. why? I have broadband)

So anyways, that is what I get to expect the first week of Sept. I just had to share.. Time to go check the order status to see if they have started to build the thing yet.

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Shocked
nice!
/jealuosy on
Cool

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject:

Dood... you too can overclock!!! We can have that processor running at 3.4Ghz by the time I'm done with it! We'll overclock that Vid card too!! Slap a phase change cooler in there to do it, and you are good to go!!

(Cooling system will cost $700 bucks, and I'm going to have to solder some pins together on your processor to do it. There is a slight chance that your mobo will spontainiously desolve or explode, that the cooling system will cause water to condense on your processor and short it out, and your other components to stop working because the system bus is totoally out of whack, but THAT'S SOO 'L33T DUD3!!!)

LOL, jk bro. Sounds like you've got one heck of a good system coming. Gratz on the new PC! (Now to get you to lvl 60+. No, seriously. Soon.)

(AKA - Brent)

Carianna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the encouragment... I posted in the other thread that its on its way! I'm very happy about that.. Wasn't estimated to be shipped until this coming Weds to Friday.. but they got it done last night and have shippd it! So it will be HERE this coming Weds though Friday... Waiting for Fed Ex to get it in their building so I can track it and get a better ETA of the machine.

As to 60, Yeah.. I know.. and I am getting close. But I still want to stick to my guns.. I still have a good load of AA I want before I hit 59. If it wasn't for this PC I have locking up.. and not wanting to lose a ton of work due to getting killed due to the lock up.. I would be where I want to be in level 58 and would be working the AA now. Sad

Depending on what I can get for groups coming up over the next couple of weeks, I should be at 59 in the next few weeks though... and then on to 60 not long after that.

Daneloire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Aww!

I wish I'd known you were thinking of getting a Dell. I used to work for them, so I have a still-active employee discount dealy on their Premier page. It's not a huge discount, prolly only 15% or so, but still..

-Dane

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: