The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
HEPL !!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: HEPL !!

Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Embarassed
Ok im not real Tec savy.... I know enough to get myself into trouble Laughing
I have been having a lot of problems with going LD recently. I have no idea why! i have checkd (per EQtech) my sound card by shutting it down... I have the latese version of DX, and my vid drivers. A DX diag shows no issues. I am going LD about 3 times in an 8 hr session. sometimes the computer will just reboot (very rare). I have checkd every driver i can think of including checking my Bios.... any suggestions will be Appreciated VERY MUCH Exclamation

Murdakin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject:

LD as in your bar goes red and you can reconnect, or can't reconnect? Are you on a switch or router? Can you connect to the internet immediately after you lose connection to EQ?

Bashdur K

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject:

You wouldn't happen to be using an HP computer would you?

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject:

I'm equally as curious about the nature of your LD's. Does your computer reboot itself in the middle of a session? or can you watch your lag meter go to red before getting the "You have been disconnected" screen? Also, what type of hardware are you using on your internet connection? Router, switches, hubs, etc and model numbers?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject:

I have noticed 3 types of issues i am having.

1. (the most common) i can watch the lag bar slowly drop to 0 then Im disconnected. 605 of the time i have to reboot to get back on. 40% of the time i can just log back in.

2. some times i can watch the lag meter spike from red to green while experiencing heavy lag. this can go on for an hour before i go LD. (this is not quite as common as 1 but still happens alot )

3. every thing is going fine im having no real lag or LD issues then wham... my system just up and reboots no warning. ( this rarely happens)

we are on cable modem. running through a hub. im using the on board Nic card. ill get the router and modem models when i get home and post them. thanks guys

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject:

So, there are other people playing with you, yes?
Do they go LD when you do also?

Your equipment is Cable Modem to HUB, and that's it?

If that's true, it may be worth your time to buy a router with a built-in switch. You're probably paying the cable company for the additional IP addresses you're using, and the money you'd save from using a NAT router would more than pay for itself.

In addition, switches >>>>>>> hubs.

Its also quite possible that the onboard NIC is going bad. That could also explain your random restarts. That's a relatively cheap replacement. If I had a nickel for every NIC I've replaced at work, it would probably pay my annual salary three times over.

Also, do you have any programs running while you're in EQ, like Anti-Virus? What OS are you using?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject:

There are 2 other people in the house and both play (not near as much as me Laughing ). Neither one of them has this problem. We are paying for the IP's and running modem-hub. I run windows xp and run Norton firewall cause we seem to get a lot of random attacks on this cable. I have run Norton since I have played EQ and it is configured to allow access for it. Though this is a Brand new system that is a full rebuild. Which im not real confident in, since I did 80% of myself lol. I have tried uninstalling my virus scanner software and it still had the same issue so I reinstalled it.

Murdakin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject:

perhaps I'm offbase, but how many fans you got in the case? you might be overheating the onboard NIC... Either way I'd prolly get a new NIC.. as for the system reboots... You might have some bad RAM as well.. hmm also how big is the power supply? 300+ watt?

Just things I've had experience with building my own system.

Bashdur K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Try not to laugh at this, but this has worked for at least a dozen people I know who were having the same problem, including me. Take the cover off and put a small kitchen fan blowing into the box. Try it for a few days and see if it helps, if it does, invest in an additional fan for the box. Crazy, but effective.

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy
i know where you are comming from with the fans... but in this case i think im safe lol, I have a gaming case. I have 2 intake fans in the front 1 intake on the side blowing directly onto the vid card and 2 exhaust fans. And my power supply has a fan that pulls from the case and one out the back. even with good Quiet fans it sounds like a small jet aircraft sitting next to me Laughing
Thank you all for the suggestions though keep tossing ANYTHING you can think of at me. At this point ill do a "lag dance" to the god of LD if you send me the dance lesson Wink

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject:

ok sorry i never rant but this deserves it
/rant on

OMFG..... I can see that EQ Tec support is going to be NO HELP at ALL!!!
Shocked
Shocked
Shocked

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Sony Online Entertainment Customer Service
department.

For troubleshooting purposes I will ask you to disable your sound card. Question Evil or Very Mad

*yadda yadda removed instructions on how to shut off sound card* Rolling Eyes

Phone support for all SOE titles are available
MON-FRI 9:00AM-6:00PM PST, at (858)537-0898.

Phone support for Star Wars Galaxies is available
MON-FRI 9:00AM-6:00PM PST, at (858) 790-7827(STAR)

Live chat is also available MON-FRI 9:00AM-6:00PM PST at
http://www.station.sony.com/en/services/help/help.jsp

Regards,

David B.
Sony Online Entertainment

If you reply to this email, please be sure to include the original body
text so the thread of our correspondence is contained in every message.
Thank you.

Evil or Very Mad OK take you canned response and shove it up your..... Evil or Very Mad

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

Help! =)

Ok so for the past month i have been experiencing some real issues with
going LD. I have tried everyting I can think of to no avail. I have 2
roommates with similar computer setups on the same network ans me who
play and are having no issues. sometimes i will just get packet loss in
waves.. but i usualy go LD about 3 times in and 8hr session. Please
Help!! i have attached my DXdiag hoping it will help all video and sound
drivers are current. Exclamation Thinking it may have been my sound card i disabled it totaly and played 3 days and still had the same issue. Exclamation I have tried lower settings in EQ (which i should not need to do) but it did not help either. I never had issues before i got my new computer *sigh* thats what i get for upgrading, but i also changed ISP at this time.

Idea HEY SONY DID YOU EVEN READ THE FOOKING EMAIL Question

/RANT OFF

yea i know i rant in PG but i think i could have made my Drunken Irish Sailor Grandfather blush during the Hate raid Embarassed

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject:

Well, I have two suggestions.

1. You need to buy a freaking router/switch. It will save you money because you'll basically only be using ONE IP address, and using a NAT table, it will block all incoming ports on the cable, resulting in a reduced need for Firewall software on your PC, reducing your PC's overhead and resulting in better security.

Here are some of my favorites for home use:
Linksys BEFSR41 - 10/100 Router w/ 4-port switch(~$50)
Linksys BEFSR81 - 10/100 Router w/ 8-port switch(~$90)
Netgear 10/100 Router w/ 4-port switch(~$93)

Both companies have a wide range of wireless products if you prefer that.

2. Buy a new NIC. They aren't expensive ($20-30), and even if this doesn't solve the problem, you'll have it laying around if it does eventually go bad, which is a 81.2% probability that it will before any other hardware component in your system.

One of my favorite places to buy stuff from:
www.globalcomputer.com
10/100 Routers
10/100 Ethernet Cards

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks Shiloch! Very Happy

BlackCastle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I have a very similar problem, but I get booted to desktop and its more frequest, probably one in a hour or hour and a half, BUT sometimes it doesnt occur for 3-4 hours stretches. I can tell you I have the linksys BEFSR41 and I still crash. I have been working with technical support for about a week and a half now, but no success. I also built this computer myself, funny the 2 computer systems I have built myself have had random issues, but the one pentium 233 thats 5 years old store bought has never had 1 problem and its still running, I use to to surf the web. Im thinking buying one off the shelf may be more reliable, but you pay a little more, thats just my experience. Back to the other issue though, i have tried EVERYTHING, I cannot figure this out, if I got any kind of error message other than eqgame.exe has performed an error I would probably be able to track it down.

By the way I just registered here, Im a new forum member, hello, heh.

Carianna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Welcome black castle.

I understand what you mean about building your own system. I am having the similuar problems. I think part of the reason a store bought system is usually so much more stable is that the componets have probably been tested and retested to make sure they work relibably with each other, where we have just bought individial pieces and placed them in the system.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: