The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
XP question

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Kanwer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: XP question

Question for you tech peeps out there. I currently have XP home on 2 puters and Win98 on 3rd. I just acquired XP Corporate. Can I install it over XP Home, or do I need to reformat and start from scratch?

Kanwer Howlingwolf-Storm Warden-Retired

Sensei Boytoi-Retired

Mystyx Dreamz-51st Season Shadow Knight-Retired

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Do you mean XP Professional?

(AKA - Brent)

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject:

I've never actually tried to install Professional over an existing installation of Home. But, I'd be asking why you want to do that.

Home has home network capability, and is quite capable of doing it. I think it will let you see up to 5 or 10 PC's on the LAN.

Professional adds support for a larger network, and has the capability of having administrative controls over a domain, and supports up to two processors. My question to you is... if you're not going to be doing any of those three, why change it?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kanwer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject:

Sorry, it is XP Professional-Corporate edition. I was under the impression it was better than XP home. If not, I won't mess with it. I'm just running a wireless network here among 3 puters. Only problem I have with the network is accessing the same printer and stuff from all puters. I'll keep playing around with it. Thanks for the feedback!

Sensei Boytoi-Retired

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, well...

Have you shared your printer correctly? Are all of your PC's using XP Home?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kanwer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject:

Two of them are on XP Home. The other is Win98. The Win98 one I know I can't access the printer with, so it has it's own printer.

So I take it, I shouldn't mess with trying to install Pro over Home?

Sensei Boytoi-Retired

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject:

If you really want to do that, I won't tell you not to. I don't see you gaining much from it, though.

As far as being able to see the XP shared printer, we can walk through some steps that will possibly fix that issue. There are some differences between the way Win98 and WinXP network together. Usually just a few minor issues that need to be accounted for.

Spazz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject:

I would upgrade the Win98 machine to 2k. No REAL need to install XP Pro if Home is working for you. Always remember NEVER Upgrade always do a clean install. I have yet to see an UPGRADE work as good as a clean install. Microsoft sucks at upgrades, in my experience. Thanks it's time for coffee

brb

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Well, from what I've gathered Spaz - he doesn't want to upgrade the Win98 machine at all. Probably because it doesn't meet the minimum requirements, or because it has hardware that isn't compatible with an NT-based operating system.

--- and let me tell you something: The minimum requirements for 2000 / XP are way off. They are substantially lower than I think they should be. If you are planning on installing either with something that is not much better than the minimum requirements, your system will run like ass ---

As far as doing the upgrade from Home to Pro (if you really want to do it), you shouldn't have any major problems with it. There may be a few loose ends you need to tie up afterwards, but I have yet to see an OS upgrade from a Microsoft product fail when done correctly.

Err... can you tell I'm MSCE yet? I'm starting to sound like I sell this stuff.

Anyway, if you want to get your printer on the Win98 machine to see the XP shared printer, let me know, and we can work on that.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: