The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Performance Tweaks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Jenny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Do I act like COMING ON to Elsancho you ? I don't mean to come across that way.

"Enough about me, let's talk about my dress."

ElSancho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Jenny wrote:
When was this exactly?

SEE! SEE! YOUR DRUNK RIGHT NOW ARENT YOU JENNY?

edit: had to make it into a question to keep the laughs comming!
I think she passed out Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Heelar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject:

I know this topic is thoughly derailed now, but about running 2 instances of EQ. I use a program called EQWindows (www.eqwindows.com) when I want to box Talhia. On a P4 3.0 w/ 1gig PC 3200 RAM and a 128MB video card, I can have 2 so called "rich" instances (all modles, spell effects on, 1280x1024 resolution) with very little lag. After playing with voewport some, I now set my secondary instance (Tal) to 400 400 800 600, that gives me plenty of viewing area to do what she needs to do, and also eliminates alll lag. Oh, I set the frame limiter to 45 on each account too.
As far as why yours crashes.. what OS are you using? Using so little RAM on startup, it sounds like 98 or 2000. Also, the P4 may have some advantage here due to hyperthreading. Might want to look into EQwindows too, although it seems buggy to me after OOW release and will sometimes not let me run a second instance, as the second one crashes on startup.
/shrug, multi-accounts seems to be shoddy t best, no matter what your setup.

Heelar Salvavidas Grasalak Scorpse

ElSancho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Ive never been able to run eqwindows for more then an hour without a crash. maybe I need to rob more parts from my toaster? Laughing

Best luck Ive had is running it in window'd mode @ 800x600 on 2 accounts, makes it alot easier to go from one to the other.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Defragging:

I've done quite a bit of research on defrag, only to find that there is no solid answer. In my opinion, unless you are a download junkie (someone that downloads and installs 10 or 20 programs per day), or you run some type of database software that grows and shrinks in size quite often, defragging is almost pointless. It will take your disk a very long time to come to the point where it is actually fragmented to the point where it will cause significant performance degredation. I download and install quite a bit of software, and my drive never becomes too fragmented before my 6-month format.

Constant, needless defragging actually lowers the life of your hard disk. It takes a lot of spin-hours to defrag, and the more often you do it, the more minutes you take from your hard drive's recommended spin hours.

Gamers, like EQ players or other games that patch often, might see fragmentation sooner than non-gamers will. For something like this, a defrag might be called for once every 6 months, but I'd say not much more than that.

Page File:

Windows uses virtual memory by default. As soon as Windows boots, it goes into virtual memory, even though it may not be using enough of your physical RAM to warrant needing "extra" RAM. Windows 2000 and Windows XP have a lot of miscellaneous services on a vanilla installation that, once started, aren't needed very often and don't use a lot of memory. These are immediately paged to virtual memory in 4kb "pages."
Is it possible for the page file to become fragmented? Yes. Is it possible that page file fragmentation will degrade system performance? Absolutely. But, rather than disabling virtual memory and degragging, I prefer an alternative solution: deleting the page file and recreating it. Set the minimum and maximums in virtual memory settings to zero, reboot, then set them back to your preferred values.

As far as running two instances of EQ and experiencing crashes, I don't know if that's actually to blame on virtual memory, RAM, or whatever. It isn't very likely that Windows "lost track" of where your programs were stored in virtual memory, it's a lot more likely that the program you were using is trying to access a bit of virtual memory where it thought something was stored but has been cleared and moved to another location by the operating system. This is common in C applications. Sad

Last edited by Shiloch Veneficus on Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ElSancho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject:

might want to try norton speed disk (or system works) for a lil more up to date way to help keep your machine running alil smoother. I have used norton for a long time, some people hate it (I have how much resources it uses to run in the background I.E. firewall/antivirus) but there are alternatives such as the new computer associates suite (CA) that has the same junk norton does but used a fraction of the resources.

fasterfind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: wow

awesome reply, very in depth knowledge. I wish I was learning this stuff in my coursework.

RL Computer Tech
The geek shall inherit the earth.

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject:

ElSancho wrote:
might want to try norton speed disk (or system works) for a lil more up to date way to help keep your machine running alil smoother. I have used norton for a long time, some people hate it (I have how much resources it uses to run in the background I.E. firewall/antivirus) but there are alternatives such as the new computer associates suite (CA) that has the same junk norton does but used a fraction of the resources.

As far as Norton Speed Disk or any McAfee competitor, it's just another version of defrag. They claim they know a better way to organize the hard drive than Microsoft does (which I think their defrag engine was actually developed by Intel).

I personally don't like these "computer tweaking" suites. Any of them. Virus scan in some form or another is a must, of course, but Windows has it's own firewall software. There's no reason to run extra firewalls, and I won't even use the Windows firewall if I'm behind a firewalled router (which I strongly encourage) [the exception to this rule is if you're sharing a cable connection with your kids and/or misc. download junkie on the same LAN].

The uninstaller/registry cleaner software is so-so. I prefer to do this by hand myself, even on other people's machines, but not everyone is going to want to spend to the time or know how to do that.

SpyBot Search & Destroy is a good tool (I've tried AdAware or whatever it is, it's not bad either), but those tools alone aren't enough. SpyBot used to remove a lot of important stuff that would cause stability issues, but they seem to have overcome this problem.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ElSancho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Like I said, some people dont like them Smile as far as firewalls go I have I picture somewhere of the "windowsXP Pro, now with firewall" thats great, Ill have to try and dig it up. I am behind a router and still get various IP alerts, basicall people knocking on my door to see if anyone is home. I would highly reccomend use'n a third party firewall.

Depending on where you live and who all is on your hub will effect how many time your IP is attacked, or so my experiences have shown. Maybe you know how to secure your pipeline and box better then johnny hacker but most people dont and I think its a bad idea to suggest that microsofts stock one is good enough.

To touch on the defrag again, if your going to use it you might aswell do it in safemode like its supposed to be done. drivers and Apps. arent started in safemode as they are in normal windows and you will get better results.

ZigonZagoff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject:

How about some EQ specific tweaks?
Someone mentioned setting the server side filter on so that other hits are filtered before coming across (I couldn't find this).

These might help some of us with CoX disease - where they disconnect a line because too much traffic is generated so they assume there is a DoS occurring.

Honorkin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: I could use EQ specific tweaks as well.

EQ is about all I use computer for anyway, so might as well start here.

I have learned about SpyBot and Ad-Aware. Used them...loved the outcome.

Firewall and anti-virus turned off.

/viewport command is a wonderful thing!

Found a free registry cleaner. Trying to get you a link.

Going to try:
-disabling sound on computer

Looking for tips on:

- ways to help out dial-up connection (all I can get in the boonies). I have heard about 'routing' and 'routers' but no clue on these. I only have one access number(yeah...laugh it up) available on Earthlink(best ISP I have found so far).

- how to stop 'Error-a timeout occured' message when booted from EQ. This used to only show up when I lost ISP connection, but is now happening on boots from the game as well. Not getting much help from Tech support atm.

- common lag reducers. PoV and PoJ were knocking me out of game constantly last Sunday, but other zones were peachy.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Honorkin

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: