The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Mr. Shiloch Veneficus ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

tenri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Hmm a power supply for $8.00 thats nice just remove it and keep it on the shelf as a backup for the wifes PC

on the other hand after reading some more about the vid card i want i may just put it in to power the 6800 ultra PCX vidio card Shocked

Ya Ya i know shut up skinny necro boy Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

brelenie1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I have owned motherboards from both Abit and Gigabyte.Not those models of course, but I my current motherboard is a gigabyte and I highly recommend that company.

Not to say that Abit isn't a good company, my old MB was an abit and it was quite good, just didn't last quite as long.

This gigabyte is close to 3 years old and runs like it just came out of the box.My computer is a dinosaur compared to most, but it runs EQ better than many higher end systems.

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject:

I like this one

Or this one

(I never was one for fancy. Fancy was what I wanted my monitor to display.)

I'd replace the fans with ones that have more oomph to them, and slap a fan speed controller in a drive bay. If I had the cash for it, that is. I'd rip out the LED fancy-schmancy lights too, they drive me nuts.

Also, what about the hard drives and monitor? Once again, I'm a huge fan of WD's Raptor drives. 2 of those in a Raid 0 config = kick ass.

As for the monitor, I think MaximumPC magazine just rated the NEC 2111 CRT monitor as it's new champ. You might want to check that out.

Looks like it's going to be a great PC!

(AKA - Brent)

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
make sure your ordering the one that includes the 420W power supply as opposed to the one that doesn't. (if you need one anyway) The price difference is only $8!!

If you plan on getting the GF6800 Ultra, 420W is minimum. I'd go bigger if you plan on overclocking the card. Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tenri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Shiloch the powersupply is a 550 watt unit
was toying with the idea of using the 420 watt power unit that comes with the case for the video card and maybe a fan or 3 Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ElSancho

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject:

/can feel the geek love

I like this thread Laughing

Definately for the 8$ go with the 420w antech silent power, because thats what your getting for 8$ is a 70-80$ PS retail. I have the 550 upgrade and LOVE it, super quiet.. antec imho is the best.

mobo.. big fan of MSI, always used them and never had one give me probs. only problem is the P4 Rolling Eyes gig is a good board, i have one in my LAN pc, never had any problems with then either.
ASUS, never owned one till i got the K8V SE Deluxe and no complaints thus far. Soyo make good boards but they are obviously $$$
main thing with mobo's is, do you want to be able to tweak and poke every little thing in the bios. most highend boards are pretty good about the amout of options to OC your box.

They all make good boards, just check out sharky forums or anandtech.com forums. You will always fine someone who has it and has pushed it to the limit. Alot of the time, espically for newer hardware like highend P4 and amd64 combos are talked about all the time. gotta make sure you read through it or else you will get some fanboi yelling about how uubar amd is and how his benches smoke so-n-so's

good resource all in all though. I havent owned a pentium chip since p1 so Im not real up to date on the good mono/cpu combs (guess thats why my post just kinda rambles)
Wink

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
benches smoke so-n-so's

Literally.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Rebeneaux Glittergold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject:

Yeah and that matters now with the power demands the new video cards are asking for.

Rebeneaux Glittergold - 65 Enchanter
Skyle Mygarian - 61 Magician
Ulath - 49 Shaman

tenri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Just got this yesterday
I had emailed Gigabyte about some info on a release date of a PCX 6800 ultra card and low and behold they answered back with this WOOT Very Happy

Hi,

Yes, the Gigabyte model number is GV-NX68U256D. It will be released at the end of this month.

ElSancho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Heh, I'm getting a vision... It's...It's... Almost to good to be true!!

/Drools

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tenri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject:

better get that drool bid out LOL

fasterfind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: tech specs

I just recently spent a lot of time researching 3D game system performance bottlenecks and as far as desiging a sleek system, the first thing you will want is maximum attention to graphics and graphics RAM. When playing a game like EQ, the majority of processing is in the graphics. Chose a card that has a strong processor on it that will ask your CPU to do as little as possible. Go for high video RAM, 256 over 128. Video RAM won't just allow you to load more textures, etc., it will reduce requests to the rest of your machine.

3D games can use surprisingly little processing power except when high density particle effects come into play. After researching the differences between Rambus and DDRAM, applications such as 3D games, due to their typical memory requests, are usually more suited to DDRAM. DDRAM is best for highly dynamic programs with constantly changing variables, RAMBUS is good for predictable memory patterns that would be generated by business applications. (very static)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: