The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
HEPL !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

ZigonZagoff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I used to have similiar issues. The last straw was going LD in NTOV and hoping that I lived. The first thing I did was make 2 partitions on my XP box and used norton commander to boot. One partition is EQ only. The other is everything else I might want to play (i.e. HoMM4, MOO3, etc).

I disabled a portion of the NVidia software (the desktop portion) and setup the XP to not run it at boot up. I made sure to have no anti-virus running because that would start a scan in middle of playing and cause similiar issues.

Now this last step sounds real stupid but it might have something to do with the problem. I have 3 DIMM slots. I was using Slot 0 and 1 with 512MB in each slot. I moved the DIMM from Slot 1 to Slot 2.

I now go LD very rarely with this system. My older system is just overwelmed now with the graphics so I lag whenever in a raid but with everything turned off (except new gnome and High elf graphics so I can use horse) I can live with it. It is very usable in older zones but new POP raids it still has lag issues sometimes.

Hope some of these things might help you find your problem.
Caylik (Cleric)
Jonan Dabarbarian (Shaman)

<Walkers>
Vazaelle

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject:

When I posted the suggestions about your network equipment Iddin, I'm only hoping that will solve your network LD's, where you get to watch your lag meter drop off.

As far as your crashes go, there's some more detailed troubleshooting involved. I like Zig's last post. Try moving your ram around (if you have SDRAM). I'm also a big fan of formatting and reinstalling the OS. I know people hate this step, but more often than not, its just best to wipe the slate clean and start over.

MOST of EQ's random crashes are sound-related. If you've played without sound and still had hard desktop crashes, the number 2 cause of EQ crashes is video. Whether it be your vid card getting too hot, a driver issue, or just plain going bad.

To test the sound theory, make a file called NOSOUND.TXT in your EverQuest folder. Turning it all the way down in the Options screen will NOT disable it.

If you are running AntiVirus software while playing EQ, it has to be turned off. EQ and A/V software to not mix. If you're having trouble turning it off or uninstalling it, let me know and I'll see if I can help you with that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

BlackCastle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Interesting post, I tried turing off the sound from inside the game, I didnt realize it needed to be "disabled". Furthermore, I just got a response from the techs that said I have 2 sound devices listed, one is an onboard sound from nvidia, the other is a soundblaster I added to try to fix any sound related issues. I was informed I needed to remove the installation of the onboard sound because it is not an approved everquest audio device and could be causing the problem. Interesting you say the number 1 problem of crashes in everquest is sound, hopefully that will be my problem. After a month and a half of crashing, if I dont get a resolution soon, Im considering a store bought system. *arg* I will keep you posted.

BC

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I wish it were my sound Crying or Very sad i went so far as to full turn of the sound device. i disabled the onboard sound card totaly just to make sure but no luck.. I so right there with you BC i have been pricing store bought systems over the last 3 days =/.

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Well, when I get to work tomorrow, I'll post some links.

Please for the love of my sanity, don't buy a PC directly off a store shelf. For some reason, I've been subject to every single problem people have had with their home PC's where I work. I've had several people bring them in for me to look at (probably because I work on them at no cost).

After years of doing this, I have a policy. I REFUSE to work on an HP computer. If you bring one of those idiotic pieces of shit near me, I will be tempted to shoot at it with my 9mm quickly followed by doing the dumpster dance on its rotting components. I will give credit where it is due, though. HP cannot be beaten for printers. I will RARELY buy a printer that is not HP.

Sadly, most storebought systems are the same. The interior case design is usually so fucked that you can't upgrade the hardware, or its extemely limited at best. I don't like onboard video, sound, or network devices, because when they DO go bad, you're stuck with the hardware, even though you can disable it.

If you want my advice on buying a new system completely, look at Dell and Gateway both. I actually like Dell a little better, but those 799 and 899 systems they list on the front page of their sites with flat panel monitors are tough to beat - I can't even build systems that nice myself with wholesale parts, especially for having it shipped to your front door for FREE with full support and warranty.

Now, if you're into power-gaming systems, check out Alienware. By far the best (and coolest) gaming computer supplier on the internet. Cool They are not so cheap (you need a bigger pocketbook), but being the nerd I am, I know quite a few who own Alienware systems, and I must say, I'm very impressed.

Wish I had the energy to pull up some links, I will do that soon. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Murdakin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject:

Falcon Northwest has some nice custom systems too.

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject:

I thought Falcon went out of business, got eaten up by another vendor or something.

Alienware is $$$, and damn the cases they use are so damn cool.

(AKA - Brent)

Carianna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject:

Falcon Northwest is still around.. or at least their website is. They have some great PCs.. but $$$$$$$

www.falcon-nw.com

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject:

**gets out a mop bucket for the drool**
WTB higher paying job... preferably with less hours. Oh say 100K a year for 20hr work weeks hell with 20 hr weeks ill take 50K
Thanks for the link Cari Razz
not that ill ever afford those systems lol.

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject:

I have been misinformed!!! Damn those technogeek rumor mongers.

(AKA - Brent)

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject:

well 3 days running now... replaced the NIC card. Thanks all, !! still having random reboots Rolling Eyes but its a step in the right direction.

Tylandi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Well im going to school for computer technology and networking right now and id say SHiloch is probaly right...sounds like it may very well be either your built in NIC going bad or it could possibly even be a bad MB...we had one at school used to do very similar thing.As far as onboard sound im using N force 2 sound at moment and havent had any crashes or problems with my Epox board.A system re booting can be a lot of different stuff ) learmning that at school now ) will keep you posted.

BlackCastle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Well, I can certainly try a new network card, although I started with onboard lan from motherboard, then switched to Netgear NIC. I will stop by best buy tonight and pic up a 3com or something. I have the cable company comping out to switch out the cable modem, splitters, cable, etc. I have already spent the following trying to figure this out:

$60 New Hard Drive
$100 New video card
$30 New keyboard
$30 New mouse

Not to mention the motherboard/processor/memory is new via insurance company, damaged from moving company. (620 dollars not out of my pocket)

Things I have tried.
1) Onboard sound vs. SB Live Sound vs. no sound
2) Onboard network vs Netgear NIC
3) Geforce 2, MX5200, Geforce 4 - and reseated video cards
4) Removed Router from home system, ran straight from cable modem
5) Switched memory slots for the 2 - 512 meg sticks
6) Bought new hard drive and reformatted hard Drive 3 times
7) Removed Services running in background that are unnecessary (messenger,telnet, remote admin,etc.)
Cool No anti-virus running or even installed
9) Toggled on/off Internet connection firewall
10) Set port settings specific to everquest
11) Speakers vs headphones
12) Fan blowing Full blast on case
13) Ran everquest in compatibility mode (98, 2000)
14) Everquest and Winzip are the only programs installed on this computer
15) Repatched the game
16) Moved cable modem around (eliminating the electromagnetic interference theory)
17) Removed the splitter from the cable modem/TV and plugged cable directly into wall

The only thing really left is the connection from my PC to everquest server, currently experiencing bad packet loss. A bandwidth test showed I had 3MB D/L and about half meg U/L. My comment is it doesnt matter how fast your connection is if a good portion of the data is being fubar'ed.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Im am more than willing to try ANYTHING, including sacrificing small animals. (just kidding)

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Edit: Ooops, re-read the topic.

The problem you're having is crashes right?

What types of crashes?
-to desktop?
-complete crash (reboot)?
-lockup at random times?
-lockup on zone?

BlackCastle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject:

All of the above -

What types of crashes?
-to desktop? 95% to desktop.
-complete crash (reboot)? 5% reboots
Total: 100 %

-lockup at random times? 90%
-lockup on zone? 10%
Total 100 %

Thanks,
BC

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: