The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Reformatting HDD Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Cpt_Winters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reformatting HDD Help

Hello,

I have some viruses and spyware pop-ups on my computer that I wish to get rid of. I have no important data on my Hard Drive, and have just backed up a few pictures that I'd like to keep. I have a Windows XP Professional SP2 CD that I bought at the store and I am having a whole lot of trouble figuring out how to reformat my hard drive to erase Windows XP Home Edition (SP2) that is currently on my computer and the various virusues/spyware pop-ups along with it. When I boot from the XP CD, it asks me if I want to create/delete a partion, etc. (and this is after choosing Setup XP in the black DOS looking menu, which also gives me the option to go to the Recovery Console, or start XP Home Edition), and I already have two partions on my HD, one is my main parition that is about 150 gigs and the other is 7MB (no clue where is came from). Anyways, my problem is that it won't let me create or delete any of the two paritions mentioned above. I recieve this error when trying to delete my main partition: "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete installation"
My only option after that is to exit and restart my computer. I've already changed my BIOS to boot from the CD first, then to my hard drive, and then to the Flooppy Drive (I don't have one though, so I guess it really doesn't matter).

I have tried going into the Recovery Console and going into my drive (C) and typing in map, and ENTER, and then typing in "format C: /fs.ntfs" and ENTER, then then I choose Y, and ENTER, and after that nothing happens for 3 seconds and then it going back to the C:/WINDOWS>
I dunno why it's doing this, but I need some major help.

Thanks in advance.

Phinneas
Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject:

The problem you are having is usually caused by putting in the Windows XP CD in while in Windows and then selecting to reinstall. This puts temporary files on your hard drive which the installation now won't remove.

What you need is a Boot Disk to be created (most people use a floppy) though you may be able to burn a CD version. You want to boot into this CD and use it to reformat your hard drive. Once you do that you can put in the Windows CD and do your fresh installation.

If for some reason you are having a hard time with this, you could remove your hard drive and install it as a secondary hard drive on another computer and then reformat it.

That is off the top of my head, I remember having a similar issue at some point and and to do one of these two methods I believe.

Good Luck,

Phinneas

Cpt_Winters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Could you please tell me where to get a bootdisk (and what type), and some detailed instructions on how to do so? Thanks.

Phinneas
Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject:

I am in no way verifying who these people are, but here are some instructions about how you can make a boot disk:

http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject:

It sounds to me like the problem here is that you're not actually booting from the CD. Any modern Windows XP CD WILL be bootable, so the only thing missing is that you need to go into your BIOS settings and put your CD-ROM first in your drive boot order.

BIOS screens are usually different, but you'll want to look for a setting that lists the boot order (i.e. CD-ROM, Floppy, IDE, SCSI, External, etc.)

Click here to see step-by-step instructions on how a clean install should work.

If you need more help getting the CD to boot properly, let me know.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Cpt_Winters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Hi Shiloch,

I have used my HP BIOS many times. I've tried having my Boot order go to CD-ROM first, then HDD, then floppy (even though I do not have a floppy drive), and then to some networking thing. But for some reason it will not fully boot from the XP SP2 CD-ROM that I have purchased and thus I continue to recieve this error that temporary setup files cannot be deleted. I've been fooling around with this HDD and XP CD-ROM for the past four days and it is getting tiresome, but I am learning new things, which is on a brighter note. Thanks for the link and the tips. I will check out the site now and try to follow their instructions. I will let you know how it all turns out. Thanks for the help!

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject:

After a clarification from Phin, I see what I think you're going through.

You may be able to format the partition from the recovery console. (I don't know for sure if it will work, since the installation won't.) After you boot from the CD, choose the recovery console option.

Once you are in the recovery console, try to "format C:"

If that still doesn't work, then you are going to have to use a boot disk set (of any kind, doesn't matter) and just trash your partition table somehow.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Cpt_Winters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Reformatting HDD Help

Cpt_Winters wrote:
Hello,

I have some viruses and spyware pop-ups on my computer that I wish to get rid of. I have no important data on my Hard Drive, and have just backed up a few pictures that I'd like to keep. I have a Windows XP Professional SP2 CD that I bought at the store and I am having a whole lot of trouble figuring out how to reformat my hard drive to erase Windows XP Home Edition (SP2) that is currently on my computer and the various virusues/spyware pop-ups along with it. When I boot from the XP CD, it asks me if I want to create/delete a partion, etc. (and this is after choosing Setup XP in the black DOS looking menu, which also gives me the option to go to the Recovery Console, or start XP Home Edition), and I already have two partions on my HD, one is my main parition that is about 150 gigs and the other is 7MB (no clue where is came from). Anyways, my problem is that it won't let me create or delete any of the two paritions mentioned above. I recieve this error when trying to delete my main partition: "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete installation"
My only option after that is to exit and restart my computer. I've already changed my BIOS to boot from the CD first, then to my hard drive, and then to the Flooppy Drive (I don't have one though, so I guess it really doesn't matter).

I have tried going into the Recovery Console and going into my drive (C) and typing in map, and ENTER, and then typing in "format C: /fs.ntfs" and ENTER, then then I choose Y, and ENTER, and after that nothing happens for 3 seconds and then it going back to the C:/WINDOWS>
I dunno why it's doing this, but I need some major help.

Thanks in advance.

I have also tried going to the Recovery Console and typing on "format C:" and then it asks me if I am sure if I want to do it, and I say yes and then after 3 seconds, it just goes back to the C prompt thing. Where can I get a CD bootdisk because I don't have a floppy drive.

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Oh, blah. That's what I get for boxing and trying to write board replies at the same time.

Without the floppy drive, it could be difficult. Let's try this:

Take the CD out, and boot normally. Right before the Windows XP splash screen pops up, spam F8 on your keyboard. This will give you some new options. Try using "Safe Mode with Command Prompt."

See if your format C: will do anything there.

Cpt_Winters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject:

OKay, I just tried your advice and just like before nothing happened. Any thoughts?

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I guess the next step is to try to create a bootable CD that you can format with. I'm assuming you do have a CD writer, yes?

Cpt_Winters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Yes sir, I do indeed have a CD writer drive and a DVD rom drive ( that however isn't writable). So, what's the next step for me to take?

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Try downloading this:
http://www.pcinfo4u.net/ubcd/ubcd33-basic.exe

That's an ISO image for something called the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD).

It contains a lot of utilities and stuff. It's independent of Windows XP and you should be able to format (or at least delete) the partition you want to install Windows on.

I don't know which CD recording software you have, but I know that Roxio, EasyCD Creator, and Nero all burn ISO images.

Cpt_Winters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Okay I'll give this a try. Will this be pretty self explanitory once I burn the ISO and boot from the CD? Or do I need to know any commands beside format c: ? Razz

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject:

I think it's mostly a menu-based thing. Been a while since I've used it, so let me know if you need help. I'll slap mine in and step you through it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: