The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Mr. Shiloch Veneficus ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

tenri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Mr. Shiloch Veneficus ?

Well it’s time to build a new machine and was wondering what your take was on the new Intel 925 chipset with a P4550 CPU (3.6)
Keeping in mind that this machine is to ramp up for EQ2
I will be getting a newer video card based on the radon X800XT PCIX (16)

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Tenri

Ya Ya i know shut up skinny necro boy Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject:

i925 is promising.

I will warn you though, it's going to be expensive. Those 775-pin processors are not cheap, and neither is the DDR2 RAM the i925 board asks for to sport that 4.7 GB/s transfer rate.

I don't understand why you're putting an ATI piece of shit on there, though. Not only has the GeForce 6800 had more than twice as much time in testing and development, it outperforms the X800 on the PCI-E model (and I think AGP as well).

/boggle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kanwer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Mr?!? hmmm...........>G<

Kanwer Howlingwolf-Storm Warden-Retired

Sensei Boytoi-Retired

Mystyx Dreamz-51st Season Shadow Knight-Retired

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject:

The man has obviously done his research. He's going w/ ATI.

(ATI > nVidia) Razz

(AKA - Brent)

tenri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject:

I am not going to get sucked into the vidio card war of witch is better LOL

Shiloch thanks for the input
this new PC will be built over time
i will put the list of parts up a little later still reading up on most of the parts

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject:

You ATI numbers geeks have not a leg to stand on. The X800 has YET to outperform the GF6800 in any scenario. Like everything else ATI has done, it was engineered in a hurry (to compete with the 6800) and with little foresight.

From a standpoint of burning up literally HUNDREDS of ATI cards over the course of 6 years, I'm in a very good position to say they're pieces of shit.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

warlax007

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I have to agree the gf 6800 gt is the sweet spot for vidio cards. The ati 9700pro was king for the time it was out. I had Almost 2 years eye of vidio goodness Cool form them but this time it the GF 6800gt

Warlax

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Nvidia has a great card, no doubt. I couldn't help but rekindle this little debate w/ Shi.

Razz

(AKA - Brent)

ElSancho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject:

/puts on his flame resistant suit

Well let me put my 2cents in here since I consifer myself a 3dguru. (dodges fire balls)

I have been a geek before it was sheek to be geek. I can tell you from my own personal experiences with all of the top GFX cards.

ATI...They were the best thing to hit the market with their 9x line of cards and are still a very value based card for DVI and all-in-wonder tv tuner cards. They were the first card to be built use'n the dx9 pipes and were better then the nvidia counterparts of their time.

flash forward 3 years....

I have owned several of the ATI 9x cards including 9600pro---9700--9700pro256---9800pro and the 9800XT256 (I basically dumped 500$ at my local bestbuy and had a lifetime exchange)

ATI was a decent card for preformance FPS but the stability of their drivers were VERY bad, the newer versions arent as bad but still are far behind nvidias software and tweaking programs. my biggest disapointment was the 9800xt256 the heatsink looked like it was make in the basement of a 3rd year student in college,overheated alot... eventually it melted the solder that 30% of it was comprised of and then died.... all of the ATI cards were decent, best bang for your buck 9700pro (on ati's cards)

Nvidia...

After my 9800xt "blew up" I went back to the store (guys already know me by name down there) As I stood there "pfft" at the proces of the cards they had and didnt have ANY 9800's of ANY model.. so what to do...

ati9800xt256= $500.00 (out of stock, im guessing due to the fact that the MELT HEATSINKS!)

nvidia5900xt = $250.00 (havent used nvidia since the Ti4000 series which I still to this day have in a LAN pc) the guys do the exchange for me and give me a store credit for the diffrence.

I get home, pop in the new card already had downloaded the drivers on the LAN pc bing bam, I run a few benchmarks and to my suprise the nvidia card which cost 1/2 as much as my old one benched the same in MOST tests...now granted i wanted to find out what the max FPS for dx9 were and a specific AMD/GPU bench but sure enougih, the nvidia was the little card that could!

flash forward 2 months...

5900xt is a good card but when you game 4-5 hours a day most of your money goes into 2 things, your PC and your chair =)

Enter the 6800gt 256....
for $400.00 I picked up this card over the weekend, benches are almost 3x as fast as the ati9800xt AND the nvidia5900xt... texture, filtering, lighting, everything about the card is better then its closest counterpart the 9800xt/ x800 heatsink is 1 soplid piece instead of coper/solder mix, dual LED heatsinkfans with a buig fat heatpipe between the memory and gpu, solid...very solid....

For your hard earned cash I would reccomend either the nvidia5900xt OR the ati 9700pro

Either of these cards will give you enough to play EQ2 or anything else out there for a good while.

If you have the cash to drop, grab a 6800GT you will know where that extra money went when you turn on farcry on the highest settings and play through with 60-100fps

edit: had 300 instead of 400 for 6800gt

----------------------------------
AMD64 3200+
Asus K8v SE Deluxe
2-40gig WD Raptors raid=0
6800GT 256m
1gig CorsairXMS 3400+ with thermaltake spreaders 2-3-3-10
zelman heatsink
thermaltake XaserIII case

Last edited by ElSancho on Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject:

I like this guy, ElSancho.

I feel bad if you're on a slow connection, though. His avatar is 800kb. Razz

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject:

As a die hard ATI fan of the 9xxx series, I'll definately admit that the new Nvidia cards are great. Perhaps better than what ATI is currently offering. As for their drivers being crap, I'll disagree as I've never had problems with them.

(AKA - Brent)

tenri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I have come to the conclusion after reading too many articles and the posts hear that I will wait for the release of the NVIDIA’s 6800 ultra PCX card to go with the mother board with the Intel 925x chipset also going to take a stab at the LGA775 socket with a 3.4 CPU

I will post the info for you all to look over in a day or two and would love your input on the pieces I am looking at getting thanks

ElSancho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject:

Now your talking =)

tenri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject:

have not made up my mind on witch one of these mother boards i am going to get but i have all ways had great luck with Gigabyte to date

Gigabyte GA-8ANXP-D

Abit AA8-DuraMAX

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 550
with HT Technology

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

Memory 1gig

Power supply

and last but not lest a case witch i have not found any i realy like but this one seems to have every thing i was looking for i like the blue colorLOL

any thoughts would be great thanks

Jerzey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I have that case and love it!! Except mine is the midtower silver/red one with a sparkly fireball on the front. Twisted Evil ElSancho has the Super Tower one that you mentioned, but in black. It is a freaking beast, it's huge! The case alone must way around 15-20 pounds, its very heavy duty.

Oh also, if you plan on ordering from newegg - make sure your ordering the one that includes the 420W power supply as opposed to the one that doesn't. (if you need one anyway) The price difference is only $8!! Shocked I am STILL kicking myself for not paying attention to that when I ordered mine, gah!

/kicks self

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: