The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
GRRRRRRRethernet card short, plus problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Elyhim

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: GRRRRRRRethernet card short, plus problems

ok my ethernet card shorted out, my pc would not even power up.

So i throw in a new card. i only get connected to net the first time i turn it on, if i restart or shut down and try to connect again i get no connection found.

My network status is on and it says i am connected?
i am working on a cable modem connected to linksys router. All lights are on and appears to be in good working order.

i get connected when i shut down the pc move the card to a new pci slot and power up, it only works once (sometimes not even once) Like i said my network status is saying i am connected.

is this some virus? i have done all the updates for xp.

Is there a super badass ethernet card i need to buy?

Elyhim

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject:

finally got logged in last night running to lmm, friggin PoK lockup had to restart and lost connection. %$$%# this sucks

Suddaan

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject:

Argh! Wish I could help, but I cant. I do feel your pain however.

Sudd

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ok my ethernet card shorted out, my pc would not even power up.

This sounds like a serious problem to me. If your ethernet card was burned up and the PC would not boot, then there's probably some damage to the motherboard. Did you have a recent power surge one of those nasty storms could have triggered?

If you're unable to keep the PC running with the ethernet card in any of the PCI slots, there's something else wrong. You could sit down with a voltmeter and start testing the circuitry on the motherboard, but at the time and cost investment it would take to do repairs, it'd probably be cheaper to buy a new board.

Before you start scrapping parts, do Start>Run>msconfig, click the Startup Tab and hit the "Disable All" button. Click OK and reboot. Once the reboot is complete, try getting on EQ. If the connection fails again, the only other thing to try is to format and reload the OS. If reloading the OS produces the same result, you have a nasty hardware issue. Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ZigonZagoff

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject:

You might also have to remove drivers and reinstall drivers. But like Shiloch said -- if you have burned up parts it might have hurt the motherboard.

Can you describe the damage and what might have caused it?

If you had a power surge it could also have damaged the power supply (had that happen to me before).

warlax007

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject:

Try this next time you lose connection.

click start ---> run ---> type in winipconfig ---> then click release all ---> then renew all. That will get you a new ip address that might be dropping.

If winipconfig does not come up do this
in the run command type cmd ---> then in the dos box type ipconfig /release ---> then type type ipconfig /renew.

That will get you a new ip address. But your mother board could be going bad if it is a power problem like Shiloch said.

Warlax

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure what winipconfig is. Very Happy

ipconfig --> NT/2000/XP

winipcfg --> 95/98

At any rate, I'm assuming that we're not looking for DHCP problems because his computer is not staying operable from one reboot to the next. Mr. Green

Since he's already said that he's using Windows XP, the correct answer is... ipconfig! "And, don't forget the power of ipconfig /all, which will not only show you the current IP configuration, but will also display the lease timestamps!" --P.C. Gamer

Furthermore, a DHCP problem will not result in a network disconnection. You can maintain a steady link through a DHCP failure. In fact, I don't think I've never seen an NT machine report a disconnection from a DHCP issue. However, if this ever happens to you, please e-mail me so I can add it to my "this shit happened" list!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Gryfndor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject:

This is a pretty common problem with DSL Shi. Every thing looks fine but a /release and /renew recovers the connection. When I had Verizon it was the first thing they would recomend no matter the problem lol annoyed the hell out of me. Very Happy
Farzy 51 rogue
Nasgul 29 Shadownight

Daneloire

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject:

That is because Verizon sets insanely short leases. The way DHCP works is that you get an IP address for roughly half the lease's duration before your client begins checking to see if it needs to find a different address.

Cox lease times: 10-30 days
Most enterprises I've worked for: 2-7 days
Verizon lease times: 3-24 hours

-Dane

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
This is a pretty common problem with DSL Shi. Every thing looks fine but a /release and /renew recovers the connection.

You've missed the point. His connection is disconnecting entirely. I'm well aware of how to recover connections where DHCP *IS* the issue. However, when you lose the physical link, DHCP is NOT to blame.

Gryfndor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject:

What do you mean lost the link ? Lost the link as in missing lights on the modem ? No light activity on the NIC ? Didn't load NIC drivers ? I missed something here.
Farzy 51 rogue
Nasgul 29 Shadownight

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Stick your computer plug into a 220-volt power outlet, then you'll get it.

ZigonZagoff

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Yes Gryf. I believe he means that the lights are on the modem and router but not on the network card indicating a link light.

Gryfndor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject:

I had an Ethernet cable do this to me once. It was the last thing I expected as it was a staionary cable. Well there is the obvious check cables and try talking to something else with your NIC. Try talking through router and DSL modem with a laptop or other computer if you have one using same ports on router.
Farzy 51 rogue
Nasgul 29 Shadownight

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Now Grandma's a person who everyone likes
She bought you a train and a bright shiny bike
Lately she hasn't been coming to dinner
And last time you saw her she looked so much thinner

Now your mom and your dad said she moved to Peru
But the truth is she died and some day you will too.
La la la la la la la lala lala!

-Phoebe Buffay

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: