The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Le Sigh
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sabrar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Le Sigh

I must be cursed. I get my cable modem, register LDoN, and now the game keeps crashing to desktop on me citing some possible client crash as the cause. I talked to Sony live tech support online, and they had me reinstall DirectX, my video drivers, and completely uninstall Zone Alarm (my firewall). But the game still crashes on me. So....if I'm not on, that's why. Believe me, I'm working as fast as possible to figure out what's causing it and to fix it. I'll keep you guys posted, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

view my gear

Gworr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject:

Try Reinstalling Everquest, that might work.

Zahasha
Guild Leader

Location: Within a forested valley hidden deep in the foothills of the Siskiyou Mountains

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Klaa had this problem for months and months... turned out to be a sound card problem.

~* *~

"It is good to have an end to journey towards:
but it is the journey that matters in the end." ~Ursula K Le Guin

Vven
Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject:

I had the same problem after the melee patch delete your custom UI files and you'll be fixed

Sabrar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject:

I'm still working with Sony tech support on the issue. They had me send them a bunch of files from my EQ directory and on my system and DirectX. One of the things they had me try was deleting some .ini files in the EQ directory, but that didn't fix the problem. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling my sound card, since that's about the only thing I haven't tried yet. If that doesn't work, I'll try deleting my custom UIs (although I'd hate to do that because I love those things).

I'll keep you guys posted.

view my gear

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject:

Sound or UI are definate possiblities - both are known to generate client crashes.

What OS are you using? 98/XP?

1. If you are using 98, you need to upgrade, especially if you're using cable.

2. If you're using cable, and you don't have a hardware router (they come with firewalls), I would look into that also. The amount of processing power you need to run a firewall program like ZoneAlarm (or even XP's built-in firewall) is jeopardizing your game power. Hardware firewalls are much better!

Before you try reinstalling your sound card drivers, place a file in your EQ directory called NOSOUNT.TXT. That will disable all of EQ's sound and it won't even load the sound engine. If you are having sound-related crashes, that would fix the problem (albiet having no sound).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sabrar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject:

Does anyone know how to set your UI back to the defaults? I'm currently using T.King UIs, and I know how to install those, but I can't figure out how to change it back to the default. I tried removing the folder with the custom UIs, but that didn't seem to work. Suggestions?

EDIT

I figured out how to load back the default UI in game under Options, but it seemed to only effect icons as I'm still seeing T.King stuff in the backgrounds and such.

Also, in answer to the previous questions, I'm running Win 2k on a cable modem with router. I was using Zone Alarm previously, but completely uninstalled it.

view my gear

Sabrar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I completely removed all my T.King UIs and reloaded the defaults. However, it didn't resolve the problem. Now on my third day talking to Sony online tech support, they finally tell me that my problem is not an isolated issue and their development team is pushing out a patch soon to resolve it. They didn't say when the patch would be released.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to try reloading my OS and see if that works. But if the problem is inherent to the sound card, or video card, or OS, then reloading the OS won't resolve it since the hardware configurations will remain the same.

view my gear

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Try my little sound test before you reload the OS. Razz

If you're not going to format, then your driver configuration isn't going to change at all, and you'll just overwrite system files. I think that's a last-draw attempt, and if you do it, its a wasted effort to do without formatting. Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sabrar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Shi,

I completely uninstalled the sound card and reinstalled it, but I haven't tried your idea yet. Where exactly should I place the nosount.txt file in the EQ directory? Under the main folder?

view my gear

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Yes.

Daneloire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject:

I think it's nosounD.txt, not nosounT.txt. I hate to see typos propagated! Smile

-Dane

Sabrar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I tried it with nosounD.txt, and it did indeed disable the sound, but the game still crashed to desktop. So, if we looked at this as a process of elimination, I would guess that the problem lies with a compatability issue with the graphics card. Which would make sense since the crash seems to be hastened my moving the character around.

What I don't understand is that I've been using the same video card since before I went AFG, and I didn't have this problem before. The only thing that has changed since I've been away is that I have newer drivers for my GForce card. The last thing I'm going to try before reloading the OS is to uninstall and reinstall the video card with the old drivers. If that doesn't work, then the problem has to be somewhere in the operating system.

I just have the sinking feeling that this patch tech support was talking about won't be coming out for another week or two, and I don't want to wait that long if I don't have to.

view my gear

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject:

It may not be your drivers, or the OS. It could be a genuine problem with EQ code. Razz

I've got two machines that crash to desktop after character select and I've been unable to fix it, and neither of them have GeForce video chipsets. I've been waiting on this patch myself.

Sabrar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject:

No kidding, Shi? How long has this same issue been plaguing you? Recently, like me? If so, then I'd be inclined to believe our problem is in fact the same, and something with EQ itself.

How are you playing now? Do you have a third machine? If you do and it's working, what's the same or different between your third puter and the other two? Just curious is all.

view my gear

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: