The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
/guildremove Dantenx
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Garlok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject:

/snicker

(derail successful)

/snicker

Rolling Eyes

Heelar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Mmmm, I just had a Nacho cheese Gordita. Yum!

Oh, and if you're still reading this post Dan, just chill out a while. You're guildless now, so let it be. Play like you always do, but maybe look for some Walkers now and again. Don't think of it as you're apping to a guild, you're just making some friends. If you get a guild sometimes soon, great! But you'll still have made those friends from Walkers no matter what guild tag you wear. And if eventually you get to know one of us well enough that they feel comfortable sponsoring you and you're still interested, then great! It's really a no-lose situation for you.

PS- Reading your comment that families are open and don't have any secrets made me laugh. Good thing you're not Italian, or they'd be fitting you for concrete slippers.

Heelar Salvavidas Grasalak Scorpse

Jenny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject:

But can eventually you get to know one of us well enough that they feel comfortable sponsoring you and you're still interested ever happen?

"Enough about me, let's talk about my dress."

Lhats2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I got in because of my pink slippers.

Anyone have dye for my boots?

Jenny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject:

That's nice. I have a lot of friends on the Internet.

Phinneas
Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject:

Heelar wrote:
...you'll still have made those friends from Walkers no matter what guild tag you wear.

Dantenx,

I have grouped with you a few times and you are a great guy. I can understand some of the frustration for you. My application process was long as well, even though I knew a lot of people in Walkers really well. Many for several years. I am not saying this to discourage you, but rather to echo Heelar's quote above. Group with us when you can, and feel free to say hi. Even if Walkers isn't the right place for you, building friendships is a win win situation Smile

I hope that you find exactly what you are looking for in eq and a guild Smile

BTW thanks for comin to KEI my group last night even though you were on a CR! Many thanks!

fasterfind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Good point

Good point, Heelar.

I'm still on the boards. Haven't been active much though. I might start a new general thread when my computers arrive. I bought ten older boxes to run a few traders on. I'll mention how EQ runs on 450mhz W2K 256 and then I might try adding 1-2 instances on my main box to max it out.

I'll be graduating in 5 weeks. When that happens, I'll be 24/7 EQ for a while. I Might try getting a flag or two.

RL Computer Tech
The geek shall inherit the earth.

fasterfind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: KEI

Quote:
BTW thanks for comin to KEI my group last night even though you were on a CR! Many thanks!

Ask anytime. I'm surprised that KEI is so hard to find in Vazaelle. In the baz, people are always asking.

RL Computer Tech

Varthon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject:

Hmmm, well I certainly understand fully the reasons behind why the app process is as it is. In real life, I certainly would NOT allow someone into my home that I did not know at all. And that applies to Walkers, they are not gonna just let someone in because they want to be in a guild. They want to get to know you. And as far as I am concerned, needing to have 10 or so votes to get in after sponsorship, is very lenient, the numbers could very easily need to be higher considering the number of members we have in the guild. I was an app for quite some time, but I never complained about "how long it was taking" it gave me a chance to get to know Walkers, and a chance for them to get to know me. So before you criticize a guilds policy on recruiting, take time to think about why they have that policy in place.

Varthon 68 Paladin(Retired)

Faedran 51 Shadow Knight(Retired)

Varthon Fireheart 42 Wizard(Retired) (Fennin Ro)

Nohtrav 30 Monk(Retired)

Jenny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject:

Dude! How about that. Good then you can explain it to me. That might not be very far off.

Varthon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject:

Jenny, I might need the help of some serious medications to explain anything to you Smile

Nohtrav 30 Monk(Retired)

Jenny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject:

Smile I haven't heard anything like that before: Varthon said I you might need the help of some serious medications to explain anything to me.

fasterfind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: again

It seems the same process that allowed people to get to know the walkers is doing the opposite for me. Since I don't have a channel to reach anyone or really talk, the best I can do is send random tells - but that's annoying and I refuse to annoy people with, "Hey, what's up, you don't know me, but I just want to chat." - You have mobs to kill, chat is for channels, especially random chat that was unsolicited and is unwelcome. I can see that ahead of time, so I don't even think about it.

I have a few walker names on my friends list, I check them when I play. I get to chat or group with a walker about 2 or 3 times per month.

I just look at the bigger picture that the walkers aren't recruiting and with the realization that things would be different if they needed people, I don't have a problem anymore.

I know that at the rate of only chatting with a walker about 2 or 3 times a month, I'm not going to the joining the guild. But I'm not worried about that anymore because it's nolonger a goal for me. If something were to happen, I would welcome it, but it's really not worthwhile for me to be concerned about it. Eventually, someone will group with me, like me, and say, "Join my guild for a while and see if you like it." - then my quest will be over.

The typical guild process is about if the app likes the guild, not the other way around. (Unless they are way out of line and are a bad person, but that very rarely happens.)

Though my everquest career, I've been in a number of guilds that worked just fine with the model of trying out interested members. There's very little damage that can be done by letting someone 'in the house' in a videogame such as everquest. At worst, someone is an idiot and you have to boot them before the guild gets a bad rep. I believe that humans for the most part, are nice and have the capacity to play well with others and I don't have a problem trusting strangers.

I definately wouldn't let any strangers in my real house, but that's comparing apples to oranges so the point is defeated. But like I said, since the Walkers aren't looking, I'm not taking too seriously and I'm not going to worry about getting in.

In the beginning, it was a mistake for anyone to try getting me interested in the walkers, check out the website, and say hello. Because it's not about players being interested in the Walkers, it's about walkers being interested in the players. I tried to generate some interest, introduced myself, posted some helpful stuff on the boards... I've done my part. At one point, I was frustrated that it didn't get me anywhere - until I was told that Walkers aren't recruiting. That was a real shock because I had absolutely no idea. Then it all made sense.

I continue to check that friend list of 4 names whenever I log on to play. And I continue to group and chat with Walkers about twice a month. If I were able to do more, then I would. It's a pity that I can't, but I can't whine or feel bad about it - the guild is complete as it is and doesn't want strangers joining... Because of that, you get in by being good friends with a member, not by being a Cleric or Enchanter that just happens to be a nice stranger that plays well with others. The only people that are going to get in are the ones that are truly good friends with members, and have more time to group and form a real friendship than I do. I doubt I'll end up knowing anyone as personal friends.

I criticized the guild recruitment policy because I didn't understand everything at the time. Now I know that the needs and wants of the guild are already met. All I can think to say now is that it might be good to let other apps know that or they could take things the wrong way too.

Quote:
So before you criticize a guilds policy on recruiting, take time to think about why they have that policy in place.

If I had applied for a job and they said they have the same recruitment policy, I would take it hard, but if I knew that they already had enough employees and that those employees were family to each other, I would completely understand because the policy suddenly makes perfect sense.

That's where I'm at now. I get the picture and rant mode is off.

Quote:
I was an app for quite some time, but I never complained about "how long it was taking" it gave me a chance to get to know Walkers, and a chance for them to get to know me.

I've heard a few people say that. They probably had a different experience than I did. Like, if I could find walkers to talk to or group with more than one out of every three times I play, then it would all seem a lot more meaningful and I would know that I wasn't falling through a crack in the system. Employees at the company that I just described would probably say the same thing. "I spent months being friends with so-n-so before I joined this company." - I wasn't even friends with anyone at the time that I thought I should be joining. I had simply joined 1 group for 1 night, it was all walkers, and I said, "WOW, this is the best group I've ever had." They said, "We're all in the same guild." And one thing leads to another.

I'm quite certain that my experience was different to yours. If I had a friend along the way that was always there, I wouldn't have ever felt alienated or thought that the policy was bogus. I see now that the policy requires a friend and with that element, it works perfectly.

I'm not going to start sending random tells, "Hey, you're a Walker, want to be my friend? want to talk?" -because that would be totally inappropriate. A channel isn't an open option for me, and for good reason. So I'll make friends the old fashoined way, by grouping. LFG won't bring me in touch with many walkers, and when I play the game, I'm playing the game rather than being personal, so I doubt that I'll impress anyone with the idea that they should be friends with me. In the longrun, the chances of me joining are pretty slim, but that's the way it should be. It's a guild of friends, not strangers.

I've enjoyed the boards, so I'm sticking around for that and you might see a post from time to time. If anyone feels the need for an enchanter in their group, the name's Dantenx. If anyone is doing any planar progression, I would love to help out as I need to work on that myself. I can be reached virtually any time by using the channel serverwide.x - I keep all 3 accounts on that one at all times.

RL Computer Tech

BonlainyT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject:

It's not a matter of Walkers being "full", Walkers is never closed to new members. And a few months ago the requirements were even more stringent, 3 nominations and 15 aye votes needed, so 18 people had to know you well enough for you to get in. And we still had people entering our ranks.

Quote:
The typical guild process is about if the app likes the guild, not the other way around.

Walkers isn't a "typical" guild, we pride ourselves on the quality of people we have, and that's the reason this membership process has been in place as long as it has. And Walkers has NEVER recruited, at least not in the nearly 2 years I have been a member. So our process is never closed, it's always the same, for everyone.

Varthon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Just out of curiousity, if it is not a big deal, why are your posts longer then the freaking constitution?

Nohtrav 30 Monk(Retired)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: