The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Random DSL disconnects?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Heelar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Random DSL disconnects?

Every 15 mins or so (it's totally random, but that's about the average) my DSL service disconnects, the "internet" and "DSL" lights on my modem flash red, then it slowly stabalizes after 30-45 seconds. This isnt usually enough to make me LD in the game, but it's gotten me killed while pulling a dozen or so times, and it's bad if on inc for Tal becuase she can't slow ot otherwise debuff.
I called SBC tech support, and they basically blew me off, saying it was my router (even though it happens weather I have the router connected or I'm just going straight from modem to PC). Anyone have any ideas on why this is/how to fix it? I've tried t with the phone line filters on, off, between the modem and wall, not between it, about everything I can think of so far.

Heelar Salvavidas Grasalak Scorpse

Goofydoofy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Troubles

It could be any number of things. Network card could be bad/going bad. I had a telephone modem that disconnected at random. Replaced it and worked fine. I went round and round with the phone company and Internet service until I had no other thing that could be wrong. And lo and behold. Use a surge protector to prevent this from happening to you.

It could be the cable modem is bad/going bad. You might want to have the service provider send a tech out to your house and test the end connection. It's not unheard of to have a intermitant short in the line or the cable needing cleaning where it connects to the house.

Basically, you need to check every step of the movement of the signal. If that all checks out, it is in the hardware. You need to check every single piece of hardware until you find the source of the problem. Do all this without the router connected as to avoid any possible mistests.

Reset the cable modem by unpluging it from power for 60 seconds. I've found this needs to be done anyway every now and then when performance drops.

tenri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Nothing like good old SBC (sucky business com.)
ant how i have ahd the same thing happen

1 check the filters is you have them had one go bad and take down the dsl

2 my dsl works fine at 768 but some dip at SBC thought i could run at 1.5 and when it was working it was sweet but evry 15 to 20 min. it would crash and reset IE. preaty red likes on the 2wire modem some i had them put the cap at 768 again and boom working fine

hope this helps

Ya Ya i know shut up skinny necro boy Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: