The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
&*$^(*&

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Brakiss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: &*$^(*&

I reformatted my computer again. My once reliable 'pop up stopper' no longer blocks shit. Applications and programs are inserting and installing themselves on my fucking computer. Adaware, even if I run it consecutively, will find several hundred 'pieces' of spyware. Antivirus checks out, still cannot defrag. I downloaded some codex files from an old thread in this category. I cannot delete them. Something called AC3 filter and another named VP6 decoder settings are in my control panel and I cannot get rid of them. In the next 6 hours I'm certain to find more unwanted shit appearing on my computer. With my dsl re-connected, window upon window will pop up one after another, preventing me from playing eq w/o constant in-and-out of windows mode.
I cannot even listen to mp3 or watch dvd's without several windows sprouting ads. I've reformatted this POS dozens of times. I NEVER open attachements or even email I'm not expecting, like 99%. My IE browser now stands under an inch from the top of my monitor and I cannot drag it to enlarge. Nobody else comes in reach of this computer. Did I run over someone's cat??? Ebay, amazon, and several of the rest of those annoying sites somehow ended up in my favorites list w/o even a visit from me. When I delete these annoying files to the recycle bin, I cannot open the damn bin to empty it and have to go through disk cleanup. I'm more pissed than Cartman could ever be. Did I mention I love cats??? Any idea wtf is happening to me Crying or Very sad

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject:

AC3 is a codec used to listen to the sound encoding in some .avi or .mov files. I'm not entirely sure what VP6 is.

One thing I like to caution people on: Adaware / spybot / whatever will not stop evil and malicious cookies or active-x thingies from getting into your computer. Their primary reason for existence is to assist users in removing the ones already on their machine. A good firewall / anti-virus combo, set up properly, should do the trick though.

Two, when you re-install your OS, please make sure you are deleting and reinstalling the partitions before you format.

Here is what I would do (and I know this sucks, but bear with me man):

1. Backup all needed data
  2. Disconnect your DSL / Cable
  3. Go buy Symantec Firewall if you don't have a firewall. Included w/ Symantec is pop-up blocking, firewall, etc...
  4. Assuming you have a full install CD of your operating system and not an upgrade version, I would create a startup disk (boot disk) with the fdisk and format programs on them.
  5. Use fdisk to delete all of your partitions, and then put them back. Then format your drive.
  6. Install operating system ---- OR ---- ...
  7. ... If you are using WinXP, use the XP disk to perform steps 4, 5 and 6.
  8. Install needed drivers, reboot as needed
  9. Install the firewall and anti-virus, set to HIGH security then step it down as needed / preferred later (but not now).
  10. Reconnect DSL / Cable
  11. Visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com and get all critial updates
  12. Update virus and firewall definitions
  13. Update drivers as needed
  14. Download latest Direct-X
  15. Create a recovery point with System Restore (if applicable). Or, create a disk image w/ Ghost, and burn it off to DVD. Your system should be fresh and problem free at this point, so now is the time to make sure you won't have to redo this crap anytime in the near future.
  16. ** Reinstall programs, being VERY careful to review and evaluate what you are installing. This may be the cause of all your problems. **

If you are installing audio / video codecs, please do not install entire codec packs. Most of the codecs will conflict with each other, and will cause you massive brain hemmoraging when you try to figure out what went wrong later. (And thats bad.) Instead, install the codecs individually and as you need them, checking to make sure they do not conflict with existing codecs, or others in the pack.

Also, with things you install later, please be careful with programs that have been designed / developed in someone's basement or garage. Some little programs can be cool and helpful, but they can also bend your PC over the Chevy, if you know what I mean.

Hope that helps.

(AKA - Brent)

BlueMan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Not completely sure what VP6 is. I do know I needed it and got it for ummm... something I got from a p2p program so that I could watch it. I assumed that it is a codec. First time I didnt bother lookin at it first before downloading it. Anyway, thats not what caused the problems with my pc last week. Somewhere somehow I ended up with alot of crap on my PC that I never got. My bouncer, pop up stopper etc..... didnt catch everything. I believe I got something from my email as well.... When I reloaded it, it defaults with the preview pane.... oops.... So I tried to clean it up, redownload some of the items that got messed up. Things still had issues so I resorted to my old self and did FORMAT C:\ YES YES YES I KNOW IT WILL BE LOST!!!! DO IT DAMNIT> anyway I think i got mine finally worked out. Missin a couple drivers and will get them when I get home from work...

If you can read this Thank a Teacher, If you can read this in English Thank a VET.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1048129

ElSancho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I have several programs that are freeware I use for pop-ups and spyware protection. if you give me a email address or an FTP site I will upload them for you. All are easy to use and should be used atleast once a month. DSL/CABLE should ALWAYS be firewalled atleast on one location (router/hub/pc) norton internet securities is about 50$ but worth the cash, also computer associates (CA) have a new antivirus/firewall suite for the same that suposed to run on about 1/8 or the resources norton runs on.

Elnrik's post is exactly what you want to do, when you reinstall your programs after updating windows (sp1 only) and your virus/firewall, disable your antivirus sometimes will cause problems, then go to town Wink

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

warlax007

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject:

You need to go into services and turn off Messenger off. Once a web sight gets a you ip and you have messenger on your doomed. Only fix is to disable messenger.

Controll panel ----> Administrative Tools -----> Services ----> Messenger

Warlax

fasterfind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: 100% untouchable

Download and use a browser called Firefox, it's by Mozilla and as far as protection from popups and webrelated hell, it's untouchable because it doesn't process or open junk like that. It makes browsing the web a pleasure again.

Also, not all, but a lot of spyware can be stopped by running the program msconfig. Just click start, RUN, then type msconfig and hit enter. This will summon a pretty powerful program where you can delete stuff from your computer's list of programs that autostart (such as adware) This is kinda like the startmenu STARTUP folder except a lot more powerful. Uncheck any programs which seem suspicious.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: