The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
EQ Client crash resolution (for NVidia users)!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sabrar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: EQ Client crash resolution (for NVidia users)!

After about a month and one half of dealing with this issue personally, and seeing others dealing with it too, I believe I've identified one of the problems causing the EQ Client crash (getting in game, seeing EQ Client crash message shortly afterwards and crashing to desktop).

For those using NVidia video cards, the problem is related to a display driver bug. In the Windows Updates, there is an NVidia display driver update you can download (dated 2003). This display driver, while functioning perfectly for most other programs on your computer, will cause crashes in Call of Duty and EQ so far that I've discovered. So the advice here is do NOT download it!

If you already have downloaded it, follow these steps:

1. Under Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, find the Nvidia Display Driver and remove it. This should remove the settings from your registry during the uninstall process.

2. Then right click My Computer and select Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> and look for the NVidia video adapter and uninstall it.

3. Place your NVidia CD in your tray and download the Drivers. Copy over any existing newer drivers.

4. Restart your computer and allow the Plug and Play system to detect new hardware and reinstall your Nvidia video card.

As a note, #3 and #4 can be done in reverse order, but I prefer to restart the computer last so that when it auto-installs the graphic card, it already has the drivers I want it to use installed as well rather than me having to go into the video card properties to update the drivers.

That should fix your EQ Client crash issues. I have no idea why the display driver provided through Windows Updates is causing this problem, but I do know that is the problem, or at least one of the problems.

After reloading my OS shortly after I returned to the game, I fixed the client crashes I was getting. I couldn't remember everything I had done differently to the system to be able to pinpoint the problem. But then two nights ago, I downloaded some Windows Updates, including a display driver for NVidia. The very next time I launched EQ, I had a client crash everytime I got in game. Once I removed the downloaded display driver, uninstalled and reinstalled the video card, and reinstalled the old drivers, EQ worked fine again.

Hope this helps some of you.

view my gear

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject:

Excellent work, Sab.

It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft has released an incompatible driver via Windows Update. *cough* Realtek *Cough* Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kaosmos Tunebane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject:

As Larn mentioned in /gu the other day, I would strongly recommend updating Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website, NOT via Microsoft Update.

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Koasmos wrote:
As Larn mentioned in /gu the other day, I would strongly recommend updating Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website, NOT via Microsoft Update.

Hey, that's exactly what the rest of this topic says!

/salute Captain Obvious

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: