The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Pop-ups, Spyware, Viruses

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Momur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Pop-ups, Spyware, Viruses

Can anyone recommend a combination tool that will keep all this crap off of my computer? Want an all in one tool that won't block EQ. Virus scan, spyware scan, popup killer, memory leaker plugger . . . all that crap.

About a month ago, my XP login got really really slow. Since then I get spammed all over with popups - even if I'm NOT on the internet. My internet start page gets changed. My internet toolbars get changed. Yahoo Popup Blocker does nothing. I have Spyware Nuker. I cleaned with that, but didn't stop it all. I did a "Symantec free virus check", but that didn't find any viruses. I deleted all cookies and temp files . . . . dunno what else to do.

[url=www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=156189]

[/url]

Miuu Miuu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject:

I think Tyranimus posted a link to a really cool SpyWare remover on the boards, but I can't find it. It found a lot of stuff on my computer that nothing else found. If I locate the link (I'm at work now, so I can't look up the program on my computer, which is at home), I'll edit post to contain.

Elyhim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject:

webroot spyware is what i downloaded last night, i also @$% up and put in kaaza which i promptly un installed

Momur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject:

Post if ya find it, Miuu.

Ely, !

Herbert Dypp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject:

i use Spybot: Search and Destroy. Crummy name, good program. You can get it here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Momur wrote:
Want an all in one tool that won't block EQ. Virus scan, spyware scan, popup killer, memory leaker plugger . . . all that crap.
Unfortunately, I don't know of an all-in-one package that won't be cumbersome for your system. Spybot: Search and Destory is good tool to search for many different things to remove. I wouldn't dare use its memory-resident scanner, but I would definately give that a go.

As far as virus scanning goes, your best bets are probably going to be McAfee or Symantec. Although, I had a few instances where Kaspersky's virus scanner picked up 4 different viruses I had that McAfee nor Symantec would pick up. /cringe

AVG has a free virus scanner to use on standalone workstations that is decent if you don't want to pay for one. Its decent enough for most things.

McAfee has an "Internet Security" package that runs in the neighborhood of $90 or so, and supposedly constantly monitors for all sorts of things (including a software firewall). Symantec has one as well, but the name is slipping me at the moment. The downside to packages like that is again... resources. They will suck the life out of your computer. You're still going to need to disable it in order to play EQ with any kind of playable speed, or at all.

If your popups are from the GAIN network, I have another thread on this forum somewhere that gives specific instructions on how to remove Gator from your computer, which is one that will spam you with popups while not even connected to the internet. Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Elyhim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject:

i haven't had any issues with this while on eq, not yet anyway.

http://www.webroot.com/wb/downloads/index.php

i use the spy sweeper and it seems to pick up more stuff than the other frree ones i have tried.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: