The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Applicants--
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Riverdane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Applicants--

As a non-officer, but one who has read through the boards, I should make something apparent that may not have been before. I do not speak for Walkers as a guild, but as one who knows a bit of how we work and am wondering if we either have it worded incorrectly or some folks haven't understood fully. I am not doing this to be an ass, but I think it may be perceived as such, so please don't take it in that light.

We tend here on the public forum to be swamped with applications. Swamped. This actually is a wonderful thing for us as a guild, to be repected by enough people to have that many people applying to us, when all we bring to the table is a good rep and a family, not raid oriented, lifestyle. At the same time, Walkers ranks are very large, many casual players, but we have a good sized roster.

Walkers is not actually taking applications, that is why we don't have an application forum. The way to get in is to have a person who knows you personally, not just in passing, nom you, then two other people that have almost as strong a knowledge of you, and then 10 people who have at least grouped with you once and are willing to aye you. Those three people who nom you, especially the first one, is sort of your guide. If that person does not give you the apps password, YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN CHANNEL. I am not shouting, just making it plain, for both our members and anyone 'apping' that you have an official nominator, and if that person has not said 'Hi, I am the person nominating you, here is the channel, here are our loot rules and here is a few things you should know about Walkers', then you have not made it to the nomination stage. If that is the case, you should not be in the apps channel. If found in the apps channel, it gets people a little weirded out about how you ended up in there.

How DID you end up in there? Many scenarios, I've seen em all. Some apps simply innocently ask, Whats the channel? to a Walkers member, who either doesn't bother to look to see if they have a sponsor, or have seen the name APPING (which doesn't really exist) and assumed they should give apps channel. This is unfortunately incorrect on the parts of our members, and is being addressed. In the mean time, an unsponsored app gets into the channel. And suddenly gets strange looks from people. There are other cases, ranging from misinformation, confusion, to downright sneaking.

In the end, you MUST have a sponsor. Usually they will say, hi, I'm your sponsor. Others will forget, so before you get into the channel, ask whomever is trying to give you the channel info Are you my sponsor?....cause if they aren't, a lot of embarrassment is going to occur on all sides. It simply isn't worth it.

Now, those who don't KNOW anyone from Walkers, you may be saying, well, how the hell do I get in? Unfortunately, its a harder road, and one I personally wouldn't want to have to trod. The guild is large, any new person is a wildcard. We simply don't know who you are. You could be a wonderful human being, as most cases are, or you may be a total psychopath, as some cases have been. We aren't actively recruiting, but we aren't an iron fortress. It requires at least one person knows you well enough (hell, actually three, but the first person is the most important) Get to know walkers. How? I wish I had a way to tell you. There is no channel (yet, who knows). There is only this message board, and sending tells after a /who all Walkers. And that can be real easy for some people, and not so easy for others. And then there is always the case where someone wnating to get a sponsor goes overboard, understandably so, trying their hardest to make friends and simply trying too hard. And that happens. So eagar it turns folks off. Unfortunately, unsponsored apps is far from a perfect system, but there is nothing really we can do about it. We don't take unsponsored apps, so it may be moot to try. But then again, some of our members in excellent standing have been unsponsored apps, who just happened to stay low key yet find their way into our groups, and then, our hearts. In none of those cases did they have to stand on stage and sing the Michigan Rag.

This post comes from a rather crazy week of people both accidentally and not so accidentally getting into channels, and from months of unsponsored apps asking me, but HOW do I get into Walkers without a sponsor. For all I know, the government of Walkers may find this post offensive and yank it, and if they do, yank with my blessings. I always felt that some things need to be addressed directly, so am, in a non-official capacity, addressing some issues/questions I see. Thanks for taking the time to read to the bottom. Hitting enter without a proofread...=p (THIS IS HOW I TRAIN RAIDS WHEN PULLING)

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Due to continuing problems with security, and gnomish attempts to solve them, the apps channel is being suspended and brought back in a modified form. Nominated apps will be contacted in-game or via PM here on this board with more details.

I apologize for the applicants inconvenienced by this, and believe me when I say we're at least as frustrated as you are.

ZigonZagoff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject:

As Riverdane pointed out
Quote:
You could be a wonderful human being, as most cases are, or you may be a total psychopath, as some cases have been.

We do have some psychopaths in the guild and still love them.
/hug gnomes

Just remember that the key thing to Walkers is getting to know people and trying to make friends. I don't care if you have 600AA and have gear out the wazoo (except you might want to get that looked at), what I want is someone I can joke with and have laughs while killing or being killed. If you get upset about dieing then you might not want to be near me. If you get upset about not winning any loots then you might want to avoid those with the fixed dice -- who in their right mind rolls 3,3,8,3,3,11 (that last one must have been a fluke).

The application process can be long and tedious. If you want into a guild this week then this is probably not where you belong. Overall get to know people. See if someone wants help or has something going on that can join. Once the channels or communication links get re-established -- that is where most of the people look for those that are applying.

Any officers can yank or edit my posts at anytime. But they should all know by now that I ramble with some meaning in my posts.
Caylik (Cleric)
Jonan Dabarbarian (Shaman)

<Walkers>
Vazaelle

AtomickLbow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject:

OK, What's with the officers can yank my post thing? What? Are we Nazis? We only yank offensive posts and posts by Rhavanna! Twisted Evil

BonlainyT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Hell, I'm glad you did all the typing so I didn't have to.

Read it and take it to heart those who might be interested in our guild. We truly like new people, but we like our close knit friendships too and we really, really try to screen (for lack of a better word) to get the best people, not toons, PEOPLE. So take heart and keep trying, it has happened many times that someone who has no concrete contact in Walkers has got in the guild.

ZigonZagoff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Atomick - because we trust the officers to reword/wordsmith and preset the Guild in the best light. I think that is why you have alerts for whenever Rhavanna posts or Bon starts talking about gerbils.

Shouldn't we include an alert for whenever Cookie gets mentioned because those discussions seem to push Rufuss off the deep end too.

Murdakin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject:

apps channel is really a missword as well, it should be nominee channel, as thats what they really are. Just my 2cp

Rhavanna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject:

!! freakin gnomes!

Zahasha
Guild Leader

Location: Within a forested valley hidden deep in the foothills of the Siskiyou Mountains

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Hehe this morning Macsalyer asked me...

"Do you know what the best thing about Gnomes is??"

I said "no"

Macslayer said...................
"Thier SHORT Stories!!!"

at which point I got my first sip of coffee!!!

~* *~

"It is good to have an end to journey towards:
but it is the journey that matters in the end." ~Ursula K Le Guin

Mildane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Sticky worthy?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

fieni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject:

a SK and a gnome... now that thread start like hell....

Smile)

Sorgaine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject:

Could be worse. Could be a Gnome ShadowKnight =P

My Magelo Profile

BonlainyT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I deleted my gnome SK, I HATED where the harm touches ended up if the mob turned it's back to me. /shudder

Rufuss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject:

hey hey, what about my sk gnome. Rayina. You got problems with that??? /giggle

Cukie Oreolord
She who knows, knows only that is needed to be known.

Riverdane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Gnome shadowknights, Im sure each half of that equation is depressed about the existance of the other half.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: