The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Internet connection issue

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Xanaux Goldenclaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Internet connection issue

I have now been having this problem on occasion as well. I have a cable modem connection that is always on. My main computer is connected with an ethernet card that runs through a Dell TrueMobile unit which then plugs into the cable modem. (I have wireless connections on my two other comps). Just recently, I began having the message, "Cannot connect to the internet" (or something to that effect) and "do you want to cancel or try again?" I then hit try again, and I get connected. Well, this bugged me but I didn't pay much attention because I would get my connection and I was happy. Well, the other day, I couldn't connect to the internet and I couldn't connect to EQ and life was teh sucks. (BTW this is occuring on my main computer, not on the other wireless connected comps) I tried to reboot and it didn't fix it. So, I did a system restore to a week earlier (BTW using Windows XP), and I was again able to connect, but now the problem is occuring again where I get the same message about the connnection. Any ideas about what my problem might be?

Jendrick Wenslayer
62nd Heirophant of Tunare

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject:

Without a lot more information, this could be difficult to troubleshoot. I did a lot of searching through Dell's knowledge base about the TrueMobile routers (which I'd never heard of), and it appears that some users have had disconnection problems due to out-of-date firmware. However, the forums say nothing about what causes the disconnects, only how to fix them. So, how to take it from here, I'm not sure. Strangely, I found no new firmware downloadable for the router itself. But then again, I have no idea exactly what I'm looking for, a model number might help.

The disconnection messages, where are they coming from? When you try to go to a web site in Internet Explorer? or when you launch a specific program? If they are explicit to IE, then it could be as simple as a configuration problem with IE. That doesn't explain why you couldn't connect to EQ, however.

Another possibility is that during the times when you've experienced intermittent service, that your cable has actually gone out, or that someone has hijacked your cable modem's IP (becoming a more common offense in populated areas with people who use wireless networks, but I'll save that beef for another day). Unfortunately, that leaves no explanation as to why you wouldn't be able to get to the internet with your main PC when the wireless connections would work.

Yet another possiblity could be that the router requires a keep-alive for non-secure connections, and it is not distinguishing the difference between a wireless connection and a CAT5 connection (assuming from what you've said that your main PC is connected via ethernet cable, and also that you're using encryption on the wireless nodes), among other various possible configuration problems with the router.

If all else fails, I think the Dell TrueMobile routers are a fairly new product, and having one assumes that you've made a semi-recent purchase, and that all of that hardware is covered under some type of warranty you can get support for. Smile

At any rate, pop on some more details and I'll see what I can come up with.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Zazzul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Here is a little help...

Cool
Not sure how much this will help, but is helped me when my Cable started choking, They are updateing it I found out and rewiring it so i am up and down till Feb 1. EEERRRR But this does help alot and I think it would be good to post it here for all to See...

http://rpgexpert.com/734.html

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject:

That article has next to nothing to do with network performance issues, or network problems, but not bad for what it is. There is something I strongly discourage in the aritcle, though:
Quote:
To begin, click Start > Settings > Control Panel, and click on System. Then click Performance > Virtual Memory, and click the option to DISABLE Virtual Memory. You'll recieve a warning, but ignore it, and move on. Once you're done, reboot your system, run a scandisk, defrag your hard drive, and then turn on virtual memory again.

DO NOT DO THIS. Unless you have a good understanding of how virtual memory works, and you can repair virtual memory problems, you're just kicking yourself in the ass from behind by disbaling it. You can actually make your system performance worse by doing this.

The instant Windows starts, it goes into virtual memory mode. Why? Because there's an assload of background processes its running that don't require a lot of high-speed direct memory access. Windows is first in line to dump these things off fo virtual memory on the disk to preserve physical memory for process-intensive applications. By disabling virtual memory altogether, you've essentially told your computer you want everything to use physical memory. Since your process intensive applications are now sharing good physical RAM with your background processes, you can experience a slowdown. What's worse, is that if you don't have enough RAM to run everything that you have, you can cap out once you hit max, and your system will lock up. Virtual memory has its uses, they are good, and its there for a reason. You can play with the size, set its max, set its minimum (which can help), but don't disable it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Zazzul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Gotya, but the VM thing, it does say to turn it back on, the reason for turning VM off is to clear the sectors for a scan disk and defrag, then when you turn it back on, the Sectors will be in better preformance areas of the hard drive. But I do agree, never turn it off PERMANTLY.

Zazzul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I have discovered they I posted this in the wrong window, miss took the Subject...LOL my bad

Are you Using DHCP or Static IP's? (meaning, if you have no clue what I am talking about, when you look at the properies of you TCP/IP connection - Is it set to Obtain an IP address automaticly, or you have somethiung that looks like this in fields = 192.168.0.2)

Also while looking here in the properties, make sure your gateway and DNS servers are Manually entered to save on search times, and this could be causeing you some timeout issues.

Xanaux Goldenclaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Ok, gonna provide info and answer questions. As of right now, I'm not getting the message, but I suppose it might start doing it again at any time.

Ok, the first thing was the model number for the Dell TrueMobile and that is WLGW2011 (it is an 1170 Wireless Base Station).

The message I get when this problem occurs happens right when I double click on IE, and it is attempting to load the home page (it says something to the effect of "unable to connect now, do you want to cancel or try again? I click try again, and it then connects). BTW, I have had this computer for a little over a year now, and I hadn't had this problem until very recently. When I had the problem where EQ would not connect at all in addition to not being able to connect on IE, I was still able to use the laptop and other comp. My internet connection was good on my modem (the light was solid and not blinking). I did a system restore and was again able to connect to both EQ and IE.

My TCP/IP connection is set to obtain an IP address automatically. In regards to the gateway and DNS server, it doesn't look like I have them entered manually (but I'm a little clueless here).

I believe that I may not have the setup on this computer optimized for the internet and the wireless station, but I have been impatient at times. (ie: work on it, get pissed off, leave it for a while, come back and try something new, for some fuckball reason the new thing I tried works, proceed to forget everything I just did so when the problem happens again, I have to start the same shit all over again --- sound familiar to any of you? Razz)

Jendrick Wenslayer

tenri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject:

One of my friends had a similar problem his wireless had a built in firewall and was running a software firewall on the machine for what ever reason the two firewalls would not let him get to the internet the rest of his pc’s where fine

Don’t know if this has any thing to do with the problem you are having
Confused

Ya Ya i know shut up skinny necro boy Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject:

Alright Xan, one thing at a time.

First thing I want you to do is open up your Network Connection Properties and see if there is a service called "QoS Packet Scheduler." If this is present, remove it.

If your DNS and Gateways are not set, or are set to obtain automatically, leave them that way - its not hurting anything.

Gryfndor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject:

A favorite of mine when I had DSL through Verizon was ipconfig/renew this recovered me most of the time. This removes your IP address and requests a new lease from your ISP. I went throught a period that they had alot of problems with this and I never did hear what they did but its been very stable now for a long time.
Farzy 51 rogue
Nasgul 29 Shadownight

Xanaux Goldenclaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Ok, Shiloh, I removed the QOS packet. What next?

Jendrick Wenslayer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: