The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Windows 2000

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Talvarien

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Windows 2000

Ok, I'm finally updating my OS to Windows 2000. Anything special I should know about doing that before I start? Are there gonna be wacky issues with EQ? Will DirectX have to be reupdated? And, do I want the NTFSP(whatever its spelled) drive setup? Remember, I'm a PC OS moron, so speak slow, and use small words :~)

talv

PH@T L3WTS

Denee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Talv you figure that out let me know how you like Windows 2000. Been doing homework on that and WindowsXP. Not sure which way I want to go but simple is what Im looking for hahah.

Talvarien

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject:

I have an older system, and was told that unless you use multi-threading systems (??? wtf is that anyway) that 2000 would be the way to go. Now I'm just waiting for peeps like Shiloch to tell me what the hell to do with the installation.

talv

PH@T L3WTS

tenri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I moved to win2k about two months ago and have had nothing but good luck with it to this date the.
Yes I think you should update the DirectX
I used the NTFS format and have had no problems also
Ps do get all the updates from Microsoft for 2k

Stone tried XP pro and he is now running win2k
Very Happy

Ya Ya i know shut up skinny necro boy Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jiminie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Talv,

Is this a clean wipe and fresh install of the Win2000 OS or will you be using an upgrade type installation over your current ?

I would very much recommend the former as long as you understand you lose everything you haven't saved off to CD or similiar. A fresh OS is a wonderful thing IMO.

If you go with a clean and fresh install the system sets itself up for you.

Make extra sure you have drivers set aside on floppie for your modem or whatever so you can reconnect to the internet just in case. Again ensure you know how to get back on the internet before proceeding. If you run into trouble this is your best asset.

Once you have the system back on the internet the first thing you want to do is use Microsoft 'Windows Update' to get the latest security patchs especially and all critical updates really. DirectX 9.0 is also available thru this feature, get it there. Follow the prompts and restarts till you got them all.

If you have never used it go up to tools in this IE window it should be listed. It is also available on most start menus and control panels. Worst case scenario search for it on the net. Might wanna practice it on your current system first heheh.

You will most definately also want to update your video drivers to the current ones. Or everything will look all crappy =) You probably already know how to do that since you play EQ =)

Hope that quick and dirty explaination helps some,
Jiminie

PS - and Yes on NTFS says I.

PPS - If you are not comfortable with your ability to do it, get some help at your location if possible. Having your computer not working at all is a real bummer for sure. Especially if your over your head on why.

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Talv,

Ditto what the other guys have said.
I do have a couple of things you should take note of, though.

1. Avoid the Windows Update version of the "DirectX 9.0 Runtime." Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx and download the full package, install that yourself. The runtime package from Windows Update has caused issues. It may never cause you a problem, but I just don't like leaving that base open.

2. Have your NIC, modem, and video drivers ready before you format. Just have them on a CD, or a floppy. You probably won't need them, but if you do, you'll be glad you got them before you formatted.

3. DO NOT USE FAT32. There's no reason NOT to use NTFS unless you are dual-booting an older OS that you'll need to be able to read your Windows 2000 files with. Backwards compatibility is a horrid thing. Embarassed

What kind of computer are you installing this on? Just curious, I can point you to some drivers if its anything obsure.

Lastly, if you're trying to make the decision between 2000 and XP, just go with what's most easily available to you. There's virtually no difference between the two, with the exception that XP was designed to be more user-friendly. As far as multi-threading goes, XP doesn't have any compatibility with multi-threading that 2000 doesn't have.

That's all I can think of for now. Should you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to help.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Talvarien

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'm getting close to doing the complete wipe/reinstall ... omfg /shudder. I'm just a chicken. I do have a few questions still before taking the plunge:

1. If I don't know where all my original disks are with drivers, is there a specific folder I can navigate to in order to just burn all my current drivers to a disk?

2. What the hell is NIC, Shiloch?

3. Can I just recopy my backed up Everquest folder to the system, or do I need to actually reinstall and repatch the entire damn thing? Smile

My system is old (650mHz AMD), but the RAM is 768 (or something like that) and the video card is a good one. NVidia GeForce 3 Ti500.

Thanks again,

talv

Swetch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject:

1. You should be able to download most/all of the drivers you'll need online...just hit up the sites of the respective manufacturers, download the drivers, and burn em to a disc. That way you'll have them all before the reinstall, ensuring that you can get everything working even if for some reason you don't have net access working just after the OS install.

2. Network Interface Card. Often known redundantly as a NIC Card. Like PIN number. Or ATM machine.

3. Yep, that should work for ya.

Offhand, if you happen to know, what kind of motherboard do you have?

BonlainyT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Talv,

To flush your hard drive make sure you use industrial strength engine degreaser. Then dunk it in solvent to get any remaining gunk out. After that spray liberally with WD-40 so the disks themselves spin quietly. That will make Windows 2k slip on the the drive much more efficiently. Good luck buddy.

Talvarien

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject:

I think its an Athelon AMD board. Pretty sure of that, in fact. Or else I'm a complete moron, and that's not right at all. Smile

talv

PS: How do I determine what my NIC is?

Swetch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Well, the NIC is the thing that your ethernet cable plugs into. If you're using cable, DSL, or a home network, you've got a NIC. If you are just dial-up, you might not have one.

On newer boards, it's typicallly built into the motherboard, and a visit to the mobo site or a copy of the CD that came with it should be sufficient. If your network card isnt built in, then it'll be plugged into the motherboard(into what's called a PCI slot). Check the card itself for manufacturer and model.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: