The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
I had fun last night! And I have some computer questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Shevik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: I had fun last night! And I have some computer questions

Even though I spent my time chasing shadows and being dead, it was fun to be part of the gang! Whiz and Zyro: sorry I was laggin so bad.

Monday I am getting my cable hookup and I think that will solve my probs, but Whiz mentioned RAM as an issue too. I think I have 512 SDRAM? and I am running at 1000mhz. This is adequate, anyway, isnt it? If not, do y'all have suggestions for what I shouold upgrade too? I am not into buying a whole new system right now, but could certainly add some juice. Any thoughts would be appreciated and thanks again for the fun last night.

--The Shevulator

soto01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Was good to see ya bud. Sorry we had to do the kill without ya, there will be many more though. Thanks for coming.
Tibb

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Hey Shevik. Smile

I'm of the opinion that a 1GHz machine with 512 MB RAM should run pretty well with the right video card. I have several machines that I play EQ on, and the 1GHz Celeron runs EQ better than my dual P3 800.

What kind of video card are you using?
What software are you running? (i.e. VirusScan, etc)
What OS are you using? (98, ME, XP?)
What is the size and speed of your hard drive?

Also, feel out your video speed or FPS (frams per second). Is most of your lag coming from your connection or your video speed? For example, are you losing FPS when Whiz casts his ice nukes?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject:

You mean to tell us that there are people who DON'T lose FPS when Whiz casts his ice nukes? Twisted Evil

(AKA - Brent)

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject:

I am so spamming my ring in front of you guys.

Shevik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the help so far

Shiloch: My main problem is gating zoning porting etc. FPS is a problem as well but not so much as just the porting / zoning thing. I think it wil all be solved when I get cable (I had it before and usually was through before most). I havent seen Whiz use his rting yet but I also notice I get almost no lag in zone with fewer player characters in them. We'll see what happens Monday.

I dont have virus scanner going right now

Windows ME (cuscks but it came with the comp)

Not sure what card I have. Which one is best? Maybe Ill upgrade that since the rest of my setup seems good.

Thanks for all the help.

--Shevapottumas

Elnrik Talshiar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Actually, the biggest FPS hit I take is the SK tap thingies. What's up with the blue spark sideways thing anyway.

(AKA - Brent)

Mildane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm running a 733 celeron and 256 ram, Shevik, and problems arent too bad. I think you should be fine once you get your cable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

IddinLunasglory

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject:

you running a ATI 128meg card Shev? (9200 i belive is what i run) for some reason since they added the stupid "tag" to zoning i have been going LD a high percentage of the time when i zone (about 25%)... Evac is a whole other ball game i LD about 60% of the time on those now Evil or Very Mad i fixed all the other issues i was having then this one cropped up. I have talked in the tech support rooms with others with the same vid card and they are experiencing LD on zone as well Crying or Very sad good luck

Alermik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject:

I actually had a couple LDs on zoning yesterday; didn't even think of the possibility it might be my Radeon (older one w/o a model number)'s fault.

Anyway, turning off some of the Luclin models speeds up zoning, if you've got all of them on or some crazy thing.

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject:

I have them all on and refuse to turn them off! Nyah!

I zone pretty well, but would do better if I just upped my RAM to 1 gig like Pedi did.

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Well... a couple things right off the bat, Shev.

ME has to go. Its no good for anyone. I have to keep special books around for that turd because in some ways its exactly like 98, and in some ways it pretends to be an NT-based OS. Its a resource hog and I wouldn't be surprised if upgrading to XP, or downgrading to 98 would improve your performance.

Zoning times has several factors. Every time you zone, that zone is loaded into your video card's memory, and if you don't have texture-caching enabled, it has to build the texture cache each time you zone to fit your video configuration. This is why I say you need a large, fast hard drive.

On the Connect screen, click Options. On one of the video screens, make sure your checkbox for "texture caching" is checked. (Make sure you have the space for it, first. Your EQ folder will be several gigs in a short period of time.) Your PC will start saving the built texture files for each zone and it won't have to recompute them unless you change your video settings (like turning on a new luclin model, or turning one off for that matter).

With all the loading data being moved around, your swap file is being written/read like a mofo, also. If you can scramble it, see if you have an ATA/100 HD, or something that will support an 80-pin, 7200rpm HD. People never look at this, but having a fast hard drive can make a huge difference.

Like Alermik said, turn some of your luclin models off. You'll have to zone a few times to get your .txc files built before you'll notice the difference, but it will improve performance also.

Let me know how it goes when you get your cable and stuff. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Murdakin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject:

SDRAM is older and slower than current DDR as well. Might cause some probs but shouldn't be a big issue... on the ME, ya it's gotta go, I've seen 98 and/or xp play games MUCH MUCH better than any ME system. If it's what I think it is, you probably have a video card with *shared* memory... and the best way to get rid of that is disable and go with a different vid card. Something 64meg <cheapo> or better. Brand name shouldn't be much of an issue if you're not going OMG I MUST HAVE TEH BEST.. just get whats on sale.

Shevik

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject:

ok thanks for the advice!

One thing I cant figure out is how to turn off luclin models.
ANy help would be apreciated.

Spirit of the Night

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject:

My EQ folder is several gigs already, stupid bitmap screenshots Sad

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: