The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Vid card info

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Slammerp

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Vid card info

Howdy, i am curretly using a Nvidia gforce 3 video card, and at times due to eq it will freeze for a sec or to esp with trees and such in the zone, I would like to get a better video card. I am currently using a PENT3 1ghz, 512ram, and EKK! soundblaster sound card " it does ok". I really dont want to spend over 200 bucks on a Video card but i will if ness. All the info i could get about this would be nice!! PS i am running windows 98 upgrade as well.. Thanks.

Kelticbaeb

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vid card info

I'm going to be buying a new computer soon, and would like some input as well.

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind". - (A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act I, Scene I).

Hurricane Survivor - 2004 season: Carl, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne

Spazz

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vid card info

Under $200 great quality cards. . .

nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP

ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128MB 8X AGP

I have both of these cards actually and I am very happy with my results. . .

Some more of Spazz's picks

GeForce FX 5200 AGP Found this for $96 at newegg.com

and yet another card under $200

Gainward GeForce4 found for $185 at newegg.com

hope this helps. . .I picked four GREAT cards for under $200. I have had less trouble with the NVIDIA chipsets as opposed to the RADEON the choice is yours. let me know!

Edited by: spaeeazz at: 5/19/03 4:50:08 am

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vid card info

I've got the G4 4200TI 128ram, its a wicked card for a cheap price so far i've had no troubles running any of the new games at high resolution. Can't really go wrong with any of the G4 cards Hope this helps

Ghostfacee
Guttlekraw

BlackCastle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I bought the PNY FX5200 at best buy for 99 Bucks, a big improvement over my geforce 2 gt-s.

Murdakin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject:

> than 512 of ram will help too if you're running an op sys that can handle it.

Herbert Dypp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject:

Slam, not sure if upgrading your vid card above a GeForce4 will be worth it. I may be wrong but I'm not sure a GeforceFX will be any improvement when running with a Pentium3

Shiloch Veneficus
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject:

Nice job with the collection of video cards, Spaz!

Slammer, I'm going to have to agree with Herb. I ran a similar setup than you for nearly a year. I had a P3 1Ghz w/ 512 at home, and a dual P3 800 w/ 512 at work that did only slightly better in some scenarios, and in some cases, worse. I updated both to GeForce4 when I had the chance, and saw only minor improvement, if any. The card in my computer at work actually has dual RAMDAC processors, and can function as two independent video cards if it has to. Twisted Evil

I tried other various upgrades, doubling the RAM in both PCs, etc. I was finally pretty frustrated with the lagginess on raids and bought a new motherboard and processor for my PC at home. The P4 2.4 GHz upgrade was by far the best improvement in performance I've had. I think you should spring for that first. I know of a couple of places that will sell "startup kits." Basically, a case with the motherboard and processor in it. I think they are around $300-400. I'd do that before upgrading your GeForce3. You can do what you want, but the GeForce3 is a nice card. Laughing

I'll see if I can find some links when I get to work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Vyria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject:

A Radeon 9500 Pro is currently the best video card for your money. With the Omega drivers you can soft mod it to get near 9800 performance and it's about $150. If you can't find one the 9600 pro and 9700 non pro are both great cards.

I can't really reccomend any of the current Nvidia low/mid range cards because the low range are outperformed by Radeon's low range stuff and the mid range stuff is priced above the ATi but doesn't deliver significant a significant improvement in performance.

If you do decide to stick with an Nvidia card get the FX 5600 Ultra. Make sure it's the Ultra. Non Ultra FX cards are horrible. Non Ultra 5200 is not much better than the GeForce 3 you're using now.

Still, with everquest don't expect to see vast improvements in your performance with a new video card, ecause EQ uses an ancient and horribly coded version of the Tanarus graphics engine. The engine was created before video cards were really the driving force in a machine and instead were far more reliant on processor power and memory than video card.

The best way you could optimize your current setup for Everquest would be to get a new motherboard and processor in which case I'd reccomend a p4 2.4C with a Abit IS7 or ASUS P4P800 deluxe. If you want a AMD processor in the same range get a Barton and a 2500+ Epox 8RDA+ motherboard. Your current RAM shouldn't be a problem.

Tylandi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject:

9600 pro great deal and puts the nvidia in same range to shame....but id upgrade your Mb and Processor first to realize the most gain. i was fortunate to get the 9800 pro from a friend for 200 bucks...he bought a fx 5900 256 meg card. I have the Epox 8 RDA + and its a great board for AMD processors as stated....supports dual channel memory and has the n force 2 chipset onboard....will support the 400 mhz DDR ram also i belive ...i am using PC 2700 333 ram in mine right now. I would stay away from g force 4 cards if youre planning on playing Eq 2...they dont support DX 9's new features that will be used in EQ 2. Get a radeon or one of the new FX cards if u plan on going to EQ 2. As i said 9600 pro is probably best bang for your buck video wise...but do the MB processor thingie first )...man ive learned a lot in school so far ).

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: