The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
I'm broke now....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Carianna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: I'm broke now....

Well, I broke the RL bank last night. I had finally had enough.

A little history first.

I built my first PC about 2 and a half years ago. It started out as a 1GHz Athalon processor, on a A-Bit KT7-A Mother board, with 256MB DIMM RAM, a 40GB Hard drive, a 250Watt Power supply, a Voodoo 3 32MB vid card, a brand new 52X CD-ROM and 3.5 floppy drive. The only thing I transfered over from the old PC was a Sound Blaster Live! Value sound card.

About 2 months after this I started playing EQ. Not long after Luclin came out, I put in a GeForce 3 64MB vid card along with another 256MB RAM to handle all the stuff going on with Luclin.

About 6 months ago, I changed out the Vid card to a GeForce 4 128MB 4600 TI card and added another 512MB DIMM RAM stick.

About 4 nights ago, I had to replace the power supply, the fan in the power supply was going out and would not allow the PC to start up, and the Fan on the Processor was also going out.

After all this, though the life EQ and the PC, I continue to have system Video lock ups on the PC. very annoying and the cause of probably half of my deaths in the game.

Last night, the PC shut down about 4 times and Vid Locked up about 4 more times, one time resulting in death.

The straw was broken, I went searching for a new PC. And no Frankenstien PC for me. I would much rather get something that was tested to work togeather. I just am not Geek Techie enough, like Elnrik, to read up and understand all the little things that go along with finding the right parts and making them all talk to each other.

So Below is what I have coming to me the first week of December, because I just have to show off some....

Pentium® 4 Processor at 3GHz with 800MHz front side bus
Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices: 3.5 in Floppy Drive
Mouse: No Mouse ( I already have a nice optical mouse, why do I need a new one? )
Secondary CD or DVD Drive: FREE UPGRADE! New 48x/24x/48x Max CD-RW Drive
Sound Card: Sound Blaster­ Audigy 2™ sound card with DVD Audio
XPS Specialized Support: DIM XPS, REPORTING XTS, DHS
Multi-Media Players: No RealOne™ Player Selected (why do I need to have them install this? they have a website)
Security Software: Dell SecurityCenter by McAfee, 90-day introductory offer (I think Norton is better, plus, didn't have enough finance to get the full thing)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options: 1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year At-Home Service (Probably should have gotten more, but didn't have the extra finance, and well I know how to do simple stuff)
Software Bundles: No Productivity Software (I already have what I need)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (this was the compromise. I really wanted to 3.2GHz processor but couldn't make it fit. Figure the Professional version of Windows should help make up that lack of .2Ghz)
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
Monitors: Video Ready w/o Monitor (I already have a nice 19 inch flat screen monitor.. why do I need to buy another?)
High Speed Internet Access: Find a high speed Internet service provider in your area (Umm.. already have one, thanks.)
Surge Protectors - Protect Your Investment Belkin SurgeMaster Gold - 10 Outlet with Coax (for Broadband) (Mine is about 10 years old.. not a bad idea to get a up to date one)
Keyboard: Dell ® Quietkey ® Keyboard
Digital Music: Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH (what ever. Couldn't choose a option with out it)
Speakers: No Speaker Option (already have a set, thanks, but no need)
Hard Drives: 80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Network Interface: Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet (I already have a very good NIC card, but I didn't have a choice.. it was either this or buy Dell's own NIC Card for more money)
CD or DVD Drive: 16 Max DVD-ROM Drive
Digital Photography: No Digital Imaging Software Requested (Camera? What are those?)
Modem: No Modem Requested (I have broadband... what do I need this for?)
Video Cards: New 128MB GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card with TV-Out
Dial-Up Internet Access: No ISP requested (already have a ISP, thanks)

Okay, I'm ready for the flames. I would really have liked to get one of those new 256MB vid cards, but no option for it. But even with out it, this thing should still take EQ and chew it up and spit it out like a McDonald's Value Meal. I hope.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> Computer and Technical Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: