The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
APPLICATION: The Bard Returns

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Kaosmos Tunebane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: APPLICATION: The Bard Returns

All was quiet, as it had been for longer than the memory of the grass that grew high upon this once-sacred mountain, deep within a zone with no name. Generations of toads had known this uninterrupted silence, and had eventually given up their croaks; the few trees dropped only needles upon the ground, as the rustling of leaves would be an unwelcome intrusion; a pack of wolves had hunted the valley below for many lifetimes and then thinned and finally died out completely, leaving their bones behind to be scattered slowly by the winds, for there remained no other predators to disturb them.

A circle had been cleared long ago among the massive boulders by a people who no longer walked the face of Norrath, whose very name lay forgotten in a single dusty tome far off in the library at Erudin, but they had built carefully, and to last, and the stone abutment that defined the circle stood still, much-weathered but intact. The ancient wall ringed a silent spring, a calm pool which reflected the light back into the chilly air in a dappled pattern.

Below, a blue-and-silver speck appeared over the horizon. After a moment, it became apparent that it was moving—and moving quickly, given its distance. Great clouds of dust rose high into the air behind the form as it raced across the narrow valley below, but it easily outpaced the swirling storms and they were soon left behind to settle back toward the ground. Twice, small flocks of birds leapt into the air, startled by its passing. Unseen eyes watched the movement, watched it cross the abandoned valley, and watched it rise up the slope of the jagged mountain face without slowing.

The figure approached the spring as a blur, then stopped abruptly at the water’s edge, coming suddenly into focus. It breathed heavily, chest heaving, its hands on its knees. A man, then, not a mirage or a phantom of sunlight and mist and memory. His armor was dusty and showed many scratches and more than one dent, but it had once been of good quality. Even as he caught his breath, he hummed a pretty harmony that bounced and echoed off the surrounding rocks. Removing his blue helm, he dipped it into the spring and drank deeply.

“Ah, that’s good,” he said to himself, dumping another helm-full of water over his head, then shivering. “It never used to tire me so, the running.” He sighed. There were few in all the land who could stay with him when he ran, but it seemed to cost him much more than it once had.

“Sometimes,” said a soft voice behind him, “One grows soul-weary and then everything becomes tiresome.”

He turned around slowly. A small sprite-like creature sat upon the wall, smiling sadly at him. A monolarque. This was the reason he had come to this lost zone, following rumors he had heard, arcane bits of lore he had discovered in his long travels. He nodded to the monolarque politely.

“You speak truth,” he replied. “I retired and withdrew from my home in Qeynos, from my guild, from my friends, many months back, and yet I have not found the rest, the peace, that I sought.” He looked at the flittering creature intensely. “I have visited many strange and different lands, and explored vast wildernesses, finding solitude almost as total as that which you enjoy here. I have lived as an elf, an Erudite, an Iksar, a dark elf, a werewolf—even a gnome.” He gestured at the spring. “But still, I am not content.”

The monolarque leaned toward him, smelling faintly of cinnamon. It’s alien eyes glittered, showing many sparkling facets. “So you have come here, Kaosmos Tunebane, to the Fountain of Rebirth, seeking…guidance?”

“I need new songs to sing,” he said, “My music has grown flat and lifeless.”

“It is your instrument that is wanting, not your tune.” It made a melodic chittering sound. “I have no answers for you, bard, but if you would restore your vital essence and return to the world of men, then you have but to enter the spring.”

Kaos pondered this for a long moment, staring at the ripple-less surface of the water before him. Then slowly he stood, replacing his helm upon his head. Shimmering notes of blue light drifted up from his waist, where his epic sword lay sheathed.

“That is why I have come,” he said. “I have found countless paths in the world, on the moon, and beyond. Now I must return to the path of my heart.”

“Good luck,” said the monolarque, dancing upon the wall and twitching its nose at its reflection in the pool, “It is the most difficult journey you have yet undertaken.” It froze and looked him directly in the eyes. “Yet it may prove to be the most rewarding.”

He nodded and without a further word, stepped into the spring, sinking immediately out of sight, down and down, as though it had no bottom. Swallowed by darkness, he felt nothing around him—not water, not air…nothing. For an eternity, he drifted downward, alone with his thoughts.

Much later, there was light again, and again his eyes saw. He looked around himself.

“I know this place,” he thought. “I know this city.” He looked straight ahead. “This building.” It was the guildhouse of the Walkers, his first guild, which he had joined when little more than a child fresh out of Qeynos. Was this his destiny, then? To come full circle and return to where he had begun? Suddenly he noticed something. He felt different, inside. It was as though great weights had been removed from him, leaving him stronger, freer. “Yes,” he thought, smiling with sudden understanding. “That’s exactly what I shall do.” He thought of his many friends behind these great oaken doors: many had retired or passed on, but many remained. And there would be new friends to meet. And new challenges to accept.

Suddenly, he felt ready—eager, even—and he reached toward the door impatiently. “Now I will see if they remember the bard,” he thought. “For I will need a sponsor or three to re-enter this august hall and be accepted among their ranks, which no doubt have swollen considerably during my absence.” He paused. Perhaps too much time had passed? Perhaps he had been left too far behind during his wandering and the good will that he had left behind him had dissipated into the winds?

He grinned. “Only one way to find out.” And he opened the door, singing, and stepped through.

BonlainyT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Can never forget Kaos. F'ing great to hear this sir, I am looking forward to your tunes.

Talvarien

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject:

Welcome back to Norrath!!! Good to see this here my friend :~)

tal

PH@T L3WTS

Teeka Wyldwood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject:

/stands on her tip toes and does a dance of joy !

Woot!!! One of my most favorite bards in all of Norrath has returned! Very Happy
Welcome back !!

Thallas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject:

Welcome home my brother Smile

fieni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject:

/wave Kaos

See what happen when you drink too much on a BB(e)Q !!! The hangover make you do some incredible things Smile)

Welcome back in the game, Kaos.

Zahasha
Guild Leader

Location: Within a forested valley hidden deep in the foothills of the Siskiyou Mountains

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject:

YES! YES! YES!

/Dance
/Dance
/Dance

I am sooooooooo happy to hear your songs again my friend!!!

Hugs
Zahashah

Gworr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Hey Kaos Cool

Scurg here reincarnated as Gworr.

Nice to see you back.

Lythinin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Hi! And welcome back. I'm a new member, but I've been told about you. Smile Can't wait to talk to you.

Lorieannaie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject:

YES!! MY FAVOURITE BARD'S WANTING TO COME HOME!!!!! Very Happy

Now...'bout damned well time you came home Kaos! *smack* Wink

Glad to hear it handsome. Smile

and really, Larn and I have only told Lythinin the good things about ya. Wink

Wrahn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject:

But he is so.... short.

He'll probably won't even caterwaul. How can you be a real bard if you don't caterwaul?

Elyhim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject:

The grin awoke him, fierce and savage as if borne of insanity. Eyes open alighting the world in its wonderous hues, stretching to the very bounds of the heavens. In a quick tumble he dropped as if the wind had rustled a splendid leaf high in the rooftop of the forest and fell silently to the ground.
Laughing unusually, a merry tinkling like chains on the swaying seas. Fishing out a silver filled vial and gripping it. The forest shortly becomes filled with moonlight.
His pointed ears strain as the forest hushes and feels his need.
His grin returns, again shouldering his pack lightened of a glistening flute dangling silver and black cordes. He runs, playing a joyous tune.

Kaosmos Tunebane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject:

Thanks, all. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and to making new ones.

<works on his caterwaul>

Whizbang Dustyboots

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject:

The song remains the same. Wink

Annir Vazaelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Good to see you again Kaos, been a long time. Welcome home )

-Annir & Zzane

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Walkers of Vazaelle Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: